My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took it home on Sunday. 2001 model with 2WD. 345 hours. Great shape overall. Paid $4K together with bagger/a 25 gallon JD sprayer/a Brinly spreader and wagon.

Still learning to drive it. Feels totally different from my old craftsman.

One question: this foot pedal thing. It is pretty tight. Won't your foot get tired after 2 hours of mowing on the tractor?

njrookie

Attachments

· Registered
187 Posts
Does it have cruise control. My x585 does but I am not sure what model it was originally added to.

Congrats on the new ride!!!

· Super Moderator
19,204 Posts
Looks Good Congrats :thThumbsU

· Premium Member
1,488 Posts
That sure is some nice looking JD green...:thThumbsU

· Registered
920 Posts
Very nice 425 - congrats!

· 9K+ Poster
12,165 Posts
One question: this foot pedal thing. It is pretty tight. Won't your foot get tired after 2 hours of mowing on the tractor?

njrookie
Nope. If your body build is anything remotely close to mine, that pedal location will be like perfect! :)

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am trying to remove the power flow bagger. Do I need to remove the belt? It looks rather complicated, unlike my craftsman.

Does the power flow use the mid/front or the back PTO? It is connected via a belt. If so, I guess you cannot use the front or back PTO attachment and the mower / bagger together.

njrookie

· AKA Moses Lawnagan
4,696 Posts
Yes indeed. Not even a single fine hairy crack on the seat.
Except yours, of course:biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: Sorry, I couldn't resist the setup.

The Power Flow comes off easily. There is a lever on the outside of the cover that holds tension on the belt which drives off the right hand blade sheave. Pull this lever out of the holding "notch" in the Power flow housing, the tension will release, and you can remove the belt from the blade sheave. The blower unit should swing out from its front mount and clear the deck chute, and you should be able to lift it off. You have to remove the round chute to the bags, first, though.

The Power Flow operates from the mid PTO, as it is driven off the mower deck. One thing to keep an eye on is the tightness of the bolt which holds the blower shaft sheave (which is under the belt cover directly on the side of the unit).

That is a very nice looking tractor, appears to be well cared for. Congrats.

· AKA Moses Lawnagan
4,696 Posts
After looking again at you picture, I see that yours attaches a bit differently than mine does, and I don't see the tension lever where it is on mine. On my unit, the drive belt tension holds the whole thing in place, and it hangs on a bar that attaches to the front corner of the deck.

I still believe there should be a tensioning device on yours, and it must be released in order to remove the belt from the deck sheave before the whole unit can be removed.

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I don't see a lever either. There was a small tension latch on the front of the blower that holds the blower to the deck. I will try again tomorrow. Thanks for tips about blower shaft tension. I will keep an eye on it.

I do not like bagging before with my craftsman bagger. It does not catch well if the mower like is lifted up high. I had a tow-behind sweeper for picking up leaves. Maybe this JD bagger with built-in blower will work better. In that case maybe I will keep it.

Thanks everyone for the compliments. Cannot wait for the leaves to drop to test out the Gator blades.
njrookie

· USMC
19,135 Posts
Looks very nice. I hope you have as good of luck with your as I had with mine. slkpk

· Premium Member
10,317 Posts
If I was more religious I'd have to go to confession, envy being one of the seven deadly sins and all. That is one fine tractor!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.