My Tractor Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Got the input shaft apart. The input bearing looks like it is either rusted or stuck with foreign matter. Not sure which yet. I've got it soaking in phosphoric acid for the moment to clean it up. Here's some pics of the inside of the gearbox and the input shaft torn down. I still need to teardown the gearbox to clean out all the old gearlube. Stuff is as thick as molasses. Thankfully, no actual water inside the gearbox, so I'm hoping the color is just due to old gearlube. I'll found out after cleaning.
IMG_0164.JPG

IMG_0165.JPG

IMG_0167.JPG

IMG_0168.JPG

The interesting one is the safety clutch. It only has 3 bolts and springs, and the other 3 look to be alignment pins.
IMG_0169.JPG

IMG_0170.JPG

Has anyone else seen this style setup? The top disc has little recesses under the springs, but on the other 3 spots, no recesses for springs.

·
Registered
532 Posts
The three bolt safety clutch is the old style one, used from 1935 to the early '50s. I have two sickle bars with that style clutch.

·
Premium Member
8,842 Posts
I have that setup here. It is stock. It is just an early style safety clutch.

That goop is just water contaminated 90wgt. Flush it out with mineral spirits.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Surprisingly, the bearing survived. Just need to go check the parts washer to see if all the old lube is out. I love having a parts washer in my garage. So far, it is looking good to run again.
The bees are starting to meet their fate. I actually had to empty my DIY traps so that more could fit in. A bit of soda, some ham, and a sunny day yielded a lot(no idea how many) dead wasps.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I know it was. Got the old gear lube out of the gear box. Letting it all drain out and dry for the night. I'll be tearing down and cleaning the safety clutch tomorrow, and then reassembling everyone. I'll probably be changing the gear lube a time or too after I put her in service to finish cleaning out any remaining crud.
Now if only wifey could figure out where to put the garden. I know it's too late this year, but I can start getting it ready for next year.
Thankfully the wasps haven't decided to move to somewhere else. The trapping keeps up at this rate, and they'll hopefully all be gone by this weekend.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
WOW. What a machine. Even though I'm pretty sure the top end needs a rebuild, it just keeps going. Mowed a ditch about a 1/8 to 1/4 mile long using my 30" LH deck. Hadn't been mowed in about 4 weeks, and it just chewed through it.

The rotary plow is getting reassembled today after I'm done mowing the rest of the yard(about an acre). Sadly, not using my Gravely for it yet.
Hoping to turn the ground for our garden for next year tomorrow or Sunday. We'll see what happens.

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
If you like what the bush hog does wait until you try a snow cannon on it for the winter. I can't remember who on this forum said it but I agree, "Gravelys do things differently but work a lot better than you might think". You will find the rotary plow much better than a traditional rototiller. Have fun. When "G.A.S." strikes you might want to pick up a 40" mower and a sulky for the rest of your yard. :thThumbsU

Matt

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
Agreed, I never smiled while out blowing snow until I got into gravelys or any other chore I've used it for.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I am unabashedly biased, but I believe the traditional two-wheel Gravely is one of the best all-around small tractors ever built.

I'll never own any other brand ( at least not on purpose... )...

Good luck with yours !

:thThumbsU

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Too late on GAS. Instead of the 40" deck, I am hoping to get the gang reel unit. If it ends up being too much for this one, then I'll just have to get another tractor, only bigger, and use the center reel for the time being.
I have a MA210 snow cannon for on it, but the chute is stuck right now, and the discharge angle part is bent up at the moment. Nothing that a bit of work won't fix. I've run older snowblowers plenty of times, and the oldies always outperform the so called modern machines(let's see a modern 2 stage walk behind launch snow 30+ feet in the air).

21 - 31 of 31 Posts