My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had seen several saw blades for my Gravely on Ebay but they all went pretty high especially if they were in good shape. I found and bought this one from a guy for $20 and just got it mounted. :bannana:

Its 20" in diameter and I am going to use it to take down lots of saplings and small stumps I have around my place. I hope to get them low enough to mow over but we will see. I will keep you updated on how it works.

It obvoiusly would never be made today becasue of the lack of safety shields etc. I will make sure I am wearing full safety shields and long pants when I use it and combined with the weight of the tractor to steady it I hope it will be ok. :hide:

Andy

P.S. Paul if this works it would greatly spead up you brush clearing efforts.

·
Retired Super Moderator
5,482 Posts
Yes if your able to after you try it let us know how it works. Be careful and take your time with it.

G

·
0 Posts
jodyand said:
Yes if your able to after you try it let us know how it works. Be careful and take your time with it.
My thoughts EXACTLY Andy! BE CAREFUL with that thing. It looks like a serious accident waiting to happen. Doesn't it have any safety shields?

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
I think if you get next to the tree, hold a wheel brake and lever the machine into the trunk you will be golden. I would love to have a setup like that for a while. Don't see a saftey issue- you are a long way away from that blade and it is at ground level. Certainly much safer than a chain saw.

Mike

·
Member Extraordinaire - Deceased March 2017
3,108 Posts
Two things i would be concerned about it are ,that if you are cutting an 8' high tree and when it gets thru it it might throw it at you, and also it might be cutting the trees off at the perfect height to catch them with a mower blade if you mow where you cut the trees.

Dur

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Professor

I was thinking the same thing as to operation of this thing. I'll let you know if it works out that way.

Dur

any trees I cut will either be very small (1-3") or I will cut them down with my chainsaw and use this to shorten the stump. Hopefully below were my mower will catch them. :bonk:

If it works really well I can also swivel it 90 degrees and use it to cut trees to lenght that are already down. should hold up better than a chain saw if it does hit the dirt plus I'm alot farther away from the blade and I don't have to carry it. should save the back.

Andy

·
Registered
552 Posts
Be careful...I would hate to have to start calling you stumpy or lefty!

Slam

·
Registered
73 Posts
It's a good thing that you have a remote PTO for that machine. Imagine if you had to reach to the nose of the machine to engage/disengage the PTO with that blade spinning? I have seen some gaurds for these saws but I believe they were optional. I have seen one gaurd home made where they cut a big "V" out of the front of a 30" mower deck.

Peter

·
Gravely Fan
881 Posts
Andy- I would highly recommend that you not use that without a guard. And yes Gravely made a guard for it ! It wasn't much of a guard but it was better than no guard at all. Peter is correct some people did not like the guard that came with it and took a 30" mower deck and cut a "V" notch in it and made it much, much safer. Please, don't get hurt. - Kris

See the guard in the pic.

Click pic

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
WooHoo! :bannana: :bannana:

Well the Gravely tree saw was a huge success. I used it for about two hours yesterday and it worked great. it was so easy to use and other than stalling it a couple times when I tried to cut too fast it did cut the trees very close to the ground.

The first pic is of a stump of a tree that was about 5" in diameter

the actual stump is on the lower right in the pic. The others are pieces I skimmed off the stump to get it lower to the ground.

Another stump

This was a large stump that was partially rotted out and had sprouts growing out of and was a pain to mow around. Not any more!

The last pic is of some of the trees that I cut down along with one of the larger live tree stump that I cut down. Its hard to tell in the pic but the stump is about 9" across.

Overall I am very pleased with the results. I did notice that on larger live trees it takes quite a while to get through and since the saw is only about 8" from edge to center bolt you do have to come at it from different sides to cut all the way though. because of this you are limited to no more than a 16" tree but that will take out most of my trees that I want to get rid of.

The only question I have is if you notice in some of the pics the stump came out black from friction from the blade. is there something that can be done about this? I also noticed that the blade doesnt seem to have offset teeth (where the teath alternate being bent out alittle from one side to the other) but are all in a straight line. I thought if it was offset alittle then the cut would be alittle wider and the blade wouldn't scrape/rub on the stump. Any thoughts?

Andy

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
The blade offset is called "Kerf" and allows for slight movements of the blade without binding. It woud certainly cut easier if it had it.
I wonder if you can kerf it yourself - if you want to bother. IF it is not hardened steel.

Mike

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Kris

Ya I saw those (no pun intended). the only thing that made me hesitate was the price as well as the size. I think they were 26" blades and the original ones for the Gravely were 18". After using mine for a while I can see how the smaller size would make it easier to keep the RPM's up and not bog down or stall the engine.

As far as the kerf issue I don't know if I could take it to a blade sharpening place to have them widen the kerf or not.
If not it still works well the way it is. I may check into some kind of wax or something that I can spray onto it to make it slicker.

Andy

·
bitter old man
135 Posts
I would stick to cutting brush with that gravely-- trees larger than about 3-4 inches in diameter are too much for it safely--a blade with no offset teeth is what is used for cutting brush -- and get a guard --

·
Gravely Fan
881 Posts
Andy- Gravely had 2 circ saw blades an 18" and a 28" diameter (see below). Look for a product called "topcoat" it is sold in woodworking stores and on the net. It will do what you want. But I have to agree with Bigl22 stay with smaller size trees. Be safe !

Click pic:

- Kris :fing32:

·
One of the First 500
2,642 Posts
Looks like it does a dandy job! Too bad I don't have anything little to chop down...
Fella can't have too many doodads :bannana:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts