My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Retired AF Lifer!
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I finally stumble onto a freebie I can actually use. All I had to do was do a VIN check, buy plates and it was mine. It started life as an old Leland snowmobile trailer. Yes it needs help, 4 of the 6 crossmembers are pretty well gone. My neighbor across the road builds/modifies trailers for a living so he's the doctor and I'm the unskilled help. The plan is to narrow it from almost 7 feet down to 5, put in new crossmembers and lower it so with it's tilt bed I won't need ramps to load the tractor. Since it's all steel, narrowing it will reduce the weight and make it easier for the Ranger to pull. I'll keep you posted as we go.

:thThumbsU

·
Retired Aug.31 2007
7,473 Posts
Looks like that will make you a nice hauler and you can't beat the price.

·
I'd rather be threshing!
3,997 Posts
Looks like a good carcass to start a project with!

Looking forward to seeing the finished product!

·
Retired AF Lifer!
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Going to start stripping off the wood on Friday. Neighbor picked up the metal at work: 10, 10' 4" galvanized tubes. The plan now is to just use the axle and tongue/tilt. Hope to have the basic frame done by Sat. evening (just remember....Murphey was an optimist). Will get pics.

·
Retired AF Lifer!
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update:
"Tear down"

"Axle and tongue"

Initial Construction

Paint but no sides yet

·
Registered
268 Posts
I got a free snowmobile trailer and found out that the axle is bent so that the tires were worn out on the inside, tread and tires gone from going down the road with both wheels in the toed out position, even the axle is flared out from the tires running that way with the bearings pressing on the part where the grease seal rides.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts