My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I finally got both machines working. The tiller just needed the carb cleaned and put back on. Had to do it twice because when I put the carb back on it poured gas. Problem was when I used the air hose to blow the carb cleaner out I didn't know there was a rubber seat for the needle. Lucky I found it on the shop floor.

I've included some pictures. I have the Tiller mounted on ,what I think is, the sleeve hitch. The problem is that the tiller is way, way, too heavy to raise and lower with the tall lever on the right that is also used to raise and lower the mower deck. I had to lift from the rear of the tiller and prop on blocks to get the lever locked in the up position.
The tiller runs fine, the tines rotate fine but I don't know if the two machines go together. I have, however, figured out that I could make an adapter to hinge and let the tiller wheels always be on the ground and then use the lever to raise/lower the front of the tiller. That would probably work.
If anyone can enlighten me it will be appreciated.
Oh! I can't find any grease fittings on the mower deck spindles. Top or bottom?
Thanks Marvin

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,275 Posts
I finally got both machines working. The tiller just needed the carb cleaned and put back on. Had to do it twice because when I put the carb back on it poured gas. Problem was when I used the air hose to blow the carb cleaner out I didn't know there was a rubber seat for the needle. Lucky I found it on the shop floor.
I did that once too!! I made one out of some nylon my Dad had in our garage. It worked great!!

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does anyone have any information on how to use the tiller with the GT6000?
The lifting mechanism will not lift the tiller. Anyone else use this type tiller?
If so do you have pictures?
The sleeve hitch, if that's what you call it, seems strong enough to support the tiller but there isn't enough leverage to raise and lower it. I read somewhere about an electric adapter for this setup.??????????????:thanku:

Marvin

·
Registered
368 Posts
If I may suggest,, Move the top Pin in to one of the other holes,, It will not lift as high but you will get better leverage,, All you need to do is get the tiller off the ground enough to turn around or whatever...

d

·
Registered
297 Posts
Marvin, Marvin, Marvin, I have a tractor exactly like your's and I need to tell you that tiller will not work on your tractor but will work on mine just fine. Don't worry about cleaning the carb, I'll take care of that for you. Nice set up! Enjoy.

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
tillers are heavy.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
BMR548 and TinnerN, I changed to pin to give more leverage and I can raise and lower it OK but it still needs some adjusting because now the up and down travel is reduced. It's still a little hard for this 70 yr old to operate. I may rig up a HD spring assist of some sort. I tilled a little patch this morning for practice. The tines turn in a forward direction and once it caught on hard ground and started PUSHING ME. I pressed the brake to no avail and then put the hydro tranny in reverse and it just slid the wheels so I had to reach back and disengage the tines. I'm sure glad I wasn't headed for Mama's car. LOL
ss12, you are right about that puppy being heavy. It's a job to attach so it will stay on for a while and I'll use my LT to mow the yard.

Oh! Tinner, BTW, I have my Dads 60 year pin in my keepsakes.
Marvin

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
you can make an extension for your handle to give you more leverage.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks ss12, I moved to "lever to arm" position to give me more leverage. Then I had to shorten the turnbuckle to give me more clearance in the raised position. Now I'm strong enough to raise/lower it with the existing lever.
I ran it in the dirt again and it tried to push me again. I have to figure out how to adjust the brakes now. I was surprised that it only digs about 4 inches deep. I guess my next project will be to make myself a plow of some sort. With the lever released (Down position) it bottoms out and with the lever in the up position the tines are 1-1/2 to 2 inches above ground.
Marvin

·
Run ahead of the pack
9,970 Posts
If I may suggest, you need more aggressive tire on the back to control the traction/brake, like AG tires and wheel weights. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts