My Tractor Forum banner

My "New" Cub Cadet 3235

32K views 340 replies 20 participants last post by  Cub cadet gt2544 
#1 ·
Well, I own it :D I'm very happy.

I picked up the trailer about 7 PM last night and took off early this morning at 5:40 AM. I got back home at about 5 PM. There was a big multiple fatality accident on the turnpike yesterday so I drove slow in the right lane and took my time. I got to the dealer in Reading about 10:45 and met with the salesman I talked to. He was very nice as was the rest of the dealership. The tractor has been inside since last week and so I gave it a good look over. Checked the blades, checked the fluids, checked the rear diff, started it, drove it forward, backwards, engaged the diff lock, ran the full range of the choke and throttle, engaged the PTO, tried out the power steering, and the deck lift. Everything major worked pretty much as I expected it to. The deck runs very quietly. It was obviously garaged and well cared for. There is very little if any dry rot on the rubber parts and all replacement parts look to be OEM Cub Cadet pieces. The powder coat is in fairly good shape. I don't even think they cleaned it, because there was still dirt and grease in the usual spots.

The salesman told me everything he knew about it, he said the guy who owned it is pretty regular customer for Stihl and Honda mower parts and service (they deal in both of those) and the hydraulic deck lift went out on the tractor, so he traded it in for a Kubota BX Series (they are mainly a Kubota dealer). He told me they replaced the lift cylinder and put it up on the lot. He explained to me that initially he thought it was the hydraulic pump that failed but the mechanics told him it was actually the cylinder that had failed. He said their mechanics also changed the engine oil and oil filter and went over the whole thing to make sure everything was fully functional and there were no leaks. They also greased all the fittings, installed a new deck belt and sharpened the blades. I did bring up the year being listed incorrectly and he apologized and took a little off the price we already agreed on. It didn't include any manuals but it did include two new deck belts and a new set of blades.

After I did the paperwork and paid for it, I drove it up on the trailer and strapped it down. It fit on the trailer perfectly. Lots of space on either side of the deck. I used 4 ratchet straps and bungee corded the seat down as suggested. I put the front straps around the front axle and crossed them and put the rear ones through the hitch plate. I stopped for lunch and gas after and then got back on the road. There were a lot of speed traps on the way back so I took it slow again. The Subaru pulled the tractor pretty well until I got onto any uphill grade and then it was very obvious that there was a loaded trailer back there. Practically had to floor it to keep up. Needless to say gas mileage was not as good on the ride home as the ride there, lol. Despite getting back into town at the start of rush hour, I didn't hit much traffic.

I have found some small things that need addressed but nothing very concerning. The left taillight does have a chip out of it, which some of you said was common due to gas spilling and just being brittle. It's mostly intact but I'll eventually replace it because it'll bug me if I don't. The gas cap leaks which I discovered as I was driving it around. It does need pedal bushings. The forward pedal seems okay but the reverse has a lot of slop in it. When you pull up on the forward pedal, it goes much faster. (Thanks to Steve for that tip!) The tilt lock for the steering wheel is also frozen. It moves a little but I didn't force it not wanting to break anything. Some WD-40 should loosen it up.

The air filter isn't very dirty but it's not new, so I'll probably change it out and I'll probably also change the spark plugs. The fuel filter doesn't look very old so that can probably be left alone for awhile. I'm sure I might find something else here or there but everything major seems good.

I got the trailer back to Home Depot with time to spare. It worked out great. It was $50.78 total for the rental with damage insurance. Not bad at all IMO.

In all I'm very happy with my new tractor and excited to use it and work on it. And I'm very appreciative of everyone here who helped me decide on it and contributed all of the useful information in the "Opinions on Shaft Drive Cub Cadets" thread. Thanks everyone. It's been a long day and these are all the pictures I've got, I'll have more tomorrow.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Sport utility vehicle
Land vehicle Vehicle Outdoor power equipment Construction equipment Car
Land vehicle Vehicle Tractor Car Agricultural machinery
Motor vehicle Vehicle Car Transport Automotive design
Vehicle Transport Car Motor vehicle Automotive exterior
Land vehicle Vehicle Riding mower Mower Lawn mower
Land vehicle Vehicle Riding mower Mower Lawn mower
Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Riding mower
Vehicle Motor vehicle Lawn mower Outdoor power equipment Car

Wire Cable Technology Electronic device Tire

See less See more
#5 ·
Thanks Steve, I'm really excited to have it! This is my first real garden tractor. I intend on having it a very long time. I can't believe just how big it is compared to my 1525. It's absolutely monstrous in comparison. I want to do a better side by side of the two of them to show the size difference.

Looks nice!

Use that 54" deck for a while before you consider buying a smaller deck. As long as you don't have areas that are too narrow to drive through, I think you will like it better than a smaller deck. Having the deck stick further out from the tires actually makes it easier to mow around things.
Thanks Joel! I am in no rush to get rid of the 54". It's in great shape and with power steering, it should be fairly maneuverable. I do have some tight squeezes that it won't fit through, but nothing I can't hit with a pushmower. It is a really well built deck.

Congrats Joe, now the fun really begins. Make it "yours".

Bill
Thanks Bill, I have a few things planned for it!

#3 ·
Looks nice!

Use that 54" deck for a while before you consider buying a smaller deck. As long as you don't have areas that are too narrow to drive through, I think you will like it better than a smaller deck. Having the deck stick further out from the tires actually makes it easier to mow around things.

#6 ·

I picked up the trailer about 7 PM last night and took off early this morning at 5:40 AM. I got back home at about 5 PM. There was a big multiple fatality accident on the turnpike yesterday so I drove slow in the right lane and took my time. I got to the dealer in Reading about 10:45 and met with the salesman I talked to. He was very nice as was the rest of the dealership. The tractor has been inside since last week and so I gave it a good look over. Checked the blades, checked the fluids, checked the rear diff, started it, drove it forward, backwards, engaged the diff lock, ran the full range of the choke and throttle, engaged the PTO, tried out the power steering, and the deck lift. Everything major worked pretty much as I expected it to. The deck runs very quietly. It was obviously garaged and well cared for. There is very little if any dry rot on the rubber parts and all replacement parts look to be OEM Cub Cadet pieces. The powder coat is in fairly good shape. I don't even think they cleaned it, because there was still dirt and grease in the usual spots.

The salesman told me everything he knew about it, he said the guy who owned it is pretty regular customer for Stihl and Honda mower parts and service (they deal in both of those) and the hydraulic deck lift went out on the tractor, so he traded it in for a Kubota BX Series (they are mainly a Kubota dealer). He told me they replaced the lift cylinder and put it up on the lot. He explained to me that initially he thought it was the hydraulic pump that failed but the mechanics told him it was actually the cylinder that had failed. He said their mechanics also changed the engine oil and oil filter and went over the whole thing to make sure everything was fully functional and there were no leaks. They also greased all the fittings, installed a new deck belt and sharpened the blades. I did bring up the year being listed incorrectly and he apologized and took a little off the price we already agreed on. It didn't include any manuals but it did include two new deck belts and a new set of blades.

After I did the paperwork and paid for it, I drove it up on the trailer and strapped it down. It fit on the trailer perfectly. Lots of space on either side of the deck. I used 4 ratchet straps and bungee corded the seat down as suggested. I put the front straps around the front axle and crossed them and put the rear ones through the hitch plate. I stopped for lunch and gas after and then got back on the road. There were a lot of speed traps on the way back so I took it slow again. The Subaru pulled the tractor pretty well until I got onto any uphill grade and then it was very obvious that there was a loaded trailer back there. Practically had to floor it to keep up. Needless to say gas mileage was not as good on the ride home as the ride there, lol. Despite getting back into town at the start of rush hour, I didn't hit much traffic.

I have found some small things that need addressed but nothing very concerning. The left taillight does have a chip out of it, which some of you said was common due to gas spilling and just being brittle. It's mostly intact but I'll eventually replace it because it'll bug me if I don't. The gas cap leaks which I discovered as I was driving it around. It does need pedal bushings. The forward pedal seems okay but the reverse has a lot of slop in it. When you pull up on the forward pedal, it goes much faster. (Thanks to Steve for that tip!) The tilt lock for the steering wheel is also frozen. It moves a little but I didn't force it not wanting to break anything. Some WD-40 should loosen it up.

The air filter isn't very dirty but it's not new, so I'll probably change it out and I'll probably also change the spark plugs. The fuel filter doesn't look very old so that can probably be left alone for awhile. I'm sure I might find something else here or there but everything major seems good.

I got the trailer back to Home Depot with time to spare. It worked out great. It was $50.78 total for the rental with damage insurance. Not bad at all IMO.

In all I'm very happy with my new tractor and excited to use it and work on it. And I'm very appreciative of everyone here who helped me decide on it and contributed all of the useful information in the "Opinions on Shaft Drive Cub Cadets" thread. Thanks everyone. It's been a long day and these are all the pictures I've got, I'll have more tomorrow.

View attachment 2443214 View attachment 2443215 View attachment 2443216 View attachment 2443217 View attachment 2443218 View attachment 2443219 View attachment 2443220 View attachment 2443221 View attachment 2443222
View attachment 2443223
That appears to be a well taken care of tractor. Make sure it still has the baffle in place on the flywheel side of the engine so it doesn't suck any dirt and grass clipping into the the engine cooling fins. Looks to be a new seat, those are not cheap to buy. I think you will be a happy camper with your new 3235. If your thinking of getting an additional aux hydro line and spool valve give that person in Kittanning a call. 3000 series parts seem to get sold quickly.

#9 ·
Thanks, I did check to see if the baffle was there and it is. That is a new seat, there is a sticker on the bottom that says "2016" Someone spent a lot of money to replace that seat. I'm very pleased with the tractor so far and I can't wait to get it in the garage. I do want to add additional hydraulics, and I'll give that guy in Kittaning a call. Good find there. I probably won't really tear into the hydraulics at least until it starts getting a little warmer but if I find myself with extra time someday it'd be nice to have the parts around.

The extra goodies you got aren't cheap to buy either. Between the OEM blades, pto belts, and deck belt. I looked them up from cub cadet parts and the total came to $216.00. You did well Wrong Doug.
Yeah, they were an unexpected extra that will be nice to have. I'm guessing they were from the previous owner, and if the previous owner bought OEM Cub Cadet parts like belts and blades it makes me feel good that he probably really did care for it.

Nice (y)......You did a lot of research, best of luck with it....hope you get to mow many square miles of grass with it...without any problems
Thanks, I had lots of help from the forum in making my decision. I plan on cutting a lot of grass with it.

#7 · (Edited)

View attachment 2443214 View attachment 2443215 View attachment 2443216 View attachment 2443217 View attachment 2443218 View attachment 2443219 View attachment 2443220 View attachment 2443221 View attachment 2443222
View attachment 2443223
The extra goodies you got aren't cheap to buy either. Between the OEM blades, pto belts, and deck belt. I looked them up from cub cadet parts and the total came to $216.00. You did well Wrong Doug.

#15 ·
I know you are right, I'm just trying to catch up from the long trip yesterday.

The parts tractor in Kittanning is already sold. Did you buy it Joe?
I didn't, I messaged the seller last night and got no reply.

Congrats on the "new to you" tractor, it looks great. (y) Keep us posted on all the mods you do to it; remember we like pictures. :giggle:
Thanks, I will definitely be keeping you all updated!

#16 ·
Here are some more pictures of my new tractor after going over it a little more. The size difference between this 3235 and my 1525 is what's really surprising to me. Sitting next to each other, the 3235 doesn't look all that much bigger, but when you are on the operator's seat, its night and day difference. I will be sure to get some side by side pictures comparing the two.

Hood opened up-

Vehicle Auto part Car Subcompact car

New dated oil filter-

Yellow Water

Has a 450 CCA Deka battery. Dated 7/16. Not brand new but should still have some life in it. Terminals are nice and clean.

Electronics Electrical wiring Wire Technology Electronic device

Current read on the hour meter. Not sure what happened to my one indicator light-

Automotive tire Wheel Rim Tire Automotive wheel system

Dated sticker on the bottom of the seat, 3/1/16. It's not very old and it's in great shape. The toolbox under the seat is a neat little gimmicky feature I didn't know about.

Subcompact car Vehicle Car Family car

That chipped tail light. Pretty minor but I'll probably still replace it.

Land vehicle Car Vehicle Yellow Automotive lighting

#17 ·
Here are some more pictures of my new tractor after going over it a little more. The size difference between this 3235 and my 1525 is what's really surprising to me. Sitting next to each other, the 3235 doesn't look all that much bigger, but when you are on the operator's seat, its night and day difference. I will be sure to get some side by side pictures comparing the two.

Hood opened up-

View attachment 2443237

New dated oil filter-

View attachment 2443239

Has a 450 CCA Deka battery. Dated 7/16. Not brand new but should still have some life in it. Terminals are nice and clean.

View attachment 2443240

Current read on the hour meter. Not sure what happened to my one indicator light-

View attachment 2443236

Dated sticker on the bottom of the seat, 3/1/16. It's not very old and it's in great shape. The toolbox under the seat is a neat little gimmicky feature I didn't know about.

View attachment 2443238

That chipped tail light. Pretty minor but I'll probably still replace it.

View attachment 2443235
You can send me the old tailight when you replace it and the chip won't bother me. I need a few for my fleet.

#23 ·
You did great! That looks to be well taken care of and is probably one of the best 3k's built.

I think you will be very happy with it, good luck and keep us posted on any repairs.

Spool valves....aren't the cyclops valves the same and a lot cheaper? Search 717-3308a on Ebay and a several come up under $50.

#25 ·
717-3308a
The spool itself is different. The Cyclops uses a different lift handle so the spool is flat on the top. Won't work w/o a bunch of modification and using the Cyclops handle. 3000 series 717-3452 spool is round and has flats cut into it for a 2 fingered link. And of course our handles are different.

#28 ·
How the Transmission fluid Look and was it changed by the dealership?

BTW Keep these Cub Cadet Bone Yards In Mind as well Cub Cadet Bone Yards & Manuals so are full cub Cadet dealer which You Can get some of the Parts for Your 3000 series That May no Longer Be available from MTD (y)

Reactions: WrongDoug
#29 ·
The trans fluid is very clean, and they did replace the hydraulic deck lift cylinder so I would assume they probably did a drain and fill. Thanks for the link, Patton Acres is only maybe a half hour away from me. I also saw someone say that the "50 Years of Cub Cadet" book was worth buying. It's like $10 on eBay and has 100-some pages with all kinds of history and information from the originals all the way up to 2011.

#30 ·
Joe I like the little toolbox as well. I keep the wrench I tighten my sleeve hitch lateral bolts down in it as well as my wrench that tightens my hitch float adapter.

Lol on the Harley Kohler. My 3240 sounds less like one than my XT3. They put a 2.5" exhaust tip on the XT3 and it sounds glorious. I'll try to do a video with them both.

I would check the hydro filter for signs of being changed. When you take off a cylinder you don't lose much oil so it can easily be changed without needing a fluid change. Also the hydro oil doesn't turn dark because there isn't combustion soot like an engine. My 3240s looked pristine but was very neglected.

#31 ·
Joe I like the little toolbox as well. I keep the wrench I tighten my sleeve hitch lateral bolts down in it as well as my wrench that tightens my hitch float adapter.

Lol on the Harley Kohler. My 3240 sounds less like one than my XT3. They put a 2.5" exhaust tip on the XT3 and it sounds glorious. I'll try to do a video with them both.

I would check the hydro filter for signs of being changed. When you take off a cylinder you don't lose much oil so it can easily be changed without needing a fluid change. Also the hydro oil doesn't turn dark because there isn't combustion soot like an engine. My 3240s looked pristine but was very neglected.
Yeah the toolbox is nice just to be able to keep a pair of gloves and a leatherman in it. I'd love to hear a sound clip from your XT3.

Good call on the trans fluid. I'll plan on doing a drain and fill and replacing the filter. I'm creating a list of parts to order, I'll add a transmission filter and fluid.

#38 ·
Well I figured I would find some more issues as I got to go over the tractor more closely, and I definitely did find some. Today was finally warmer albeit rainy, so I pulled the tractor around from the back porch into the garage.

My main goal was just to go over the tractor and get more familiar with it, and maybe take a look at that stuck tilt steering wheel mechanism. So I started by pulling off the side panels (the cam locks are a nice feature, much easier than pulling the panels off of my 1525. On the right side (starter side) I noticed a good bit of caked-on oily dirt buildup on the engine that I previously couldn't see. I decided I needed to clean that off so I removed the exhaust shroud and there was quite a bit more under it. This thing definitely has an oil leak, and I'm guessing from the front cover, but it was so caked in grease and dirt it's honestly hard to tell. I pulled the starter off and the two cooling fin shrouds and cleaned as much grease and crap as I could get out. I used a vacuum, degreaser and a brush then blasted it off with a hose. It's much better now but I still think I've got more to clean out. My real concern that it may have been run too hot with all that crap caked on the engine and the damage is already done. Any way to check for that? It still seems to run fine but I'll be keeping a close eye on it regardless. The oil leaks are definitely going to have to be traced down and taken care of.

And just to **** me off, two of the bolts on the right side snapped. One only goes into a bracket but the other threads into the cylinder head. Doh! Gonna have to take care of those too.

Also I think I found the issue with the leaking gas "cap". I don't think it's the cap at all, I think it's the filler neck part of the fuel tank. It looks warped, maybe from someone resting the weight of a gas can on it during refilling. I can't think of how else that would happen.

Anyways not the exactly the stuff I was hoping to see, but nothing that can't be fixed. And I didn't even take a look at the tilt steering mechanism.

Auto part Engine Fuel line Vehicle Automotive engine part
Auto part Engine Fuel line Pipe Vehicle
Wire Auto part Electrical wiring Vehicle Rust
Auto part Engine Vehicle Fuel line
Auto part Machine Vehicle Engine Machine tool
Auto part Engine Vehicle Car Automotive engine part
Vehicle Auto part Yellow Engine Car
Lock
Metal

#39 ·
Well I figured I would find some more issues as I got to go over the tractor more closely, and I definitely did find some. Today was finally warmer albeit rainy, so I pulled the tractor around from the back porch into the garage.

My main goal was just to go over the tractor and get more familiar with it, and maybe take a look at that stuck tilt steering wheel mechanism. So I started by pulling off the side panels (the cam locks are a nice feature, much easier than pulling the panels off of my 1525. On the right side (starter side) I noticed a good bit of caked-on oily dirt buildup on the engine that I previously couldn't see. I decided I needed to clean that off so I removed the exhaust shroud and there was quite a bit more under it. This thing definitely has an oil leak, and I'm guessing from the front cover, but it was so caked in grease and dirt it's honestly hard to tell. I pulled the starter off and the two cooling fin shrouds and cleaned as much grease and crap as I could get out. I used a vacuum, degreaser and a brush then blasted it off with a hose. It's much better now but I still think I've got more to clean out. My real concern that it may have been run too hot with all that crap caked on the engine and the damage is already done. Any way to check for that? It still seems to run fine but I'll be keeping a close eye on it regardless. The oil leaks are definitely going to have to be traced down and taken care of.

And just to **** me off, two of the bolts on the right side snapped. One only goes into a bracket but the other threads into the cylinder head. Doh! Gonna have to take care of those too.

Also I think I found the issue with the leaking gas "cap". I don't think it's the cap at all, I think it's the filler neck part of the fuel tank. It looks warped, maybe from someone resting the weight of a gas can on it during refilling. I can't think of how else that would happen.

Anyways not the exactly the stuff I was hoping to see, but nothing that can't be fixed. And I didn't even take a look at the tilt steering mechanism.

View attachment 2443523 View attachment 2443524 View attachment 2443525 View attachment 2443527 View attachment 2443528 View attachment 2443529 View attachment 2443530 View attachment 2443531 View attachment 2443532 View attachment 2443533
I've bought and resold after refurbing a bunch of 3000 series. Now that you've cleaned the engine you can hopefully find where the oil leak is. Sometimes dusting the engine lightly with baby power will lead you to the oil leak. Not uncommon for a tractor that age to have the engine gummed up. You may want to pull the four torx head bolts on the seat rails, remove the seat assembly and see if the tranny is all gummed up with dirt and debris. Do you feel you got the cylinder jugs pretty clean? If not you may want to pull the engine so you can remove the flywheel shroud and flywheel. Gets pretty nasty back there with accumulate dust as well. I have broken those same small bolts on the cylinder jugs. Was able to get the old ones out and there is room to tap a size larger if need be. No sure what happened to the gas tank fill port.

#40 ·
Joe, while it might be a little concerning to you, the build up of dirt and oil residue is probably not that big a deal. If the cylinder and head fins were that loaded, overheating would be more troubling. Looks like you did a good job at what you cleaned up. Did the dealership put full synthetic oil in at the oil change? If not change to it, it is simply much better lubricant and in an air cooled motor it is it's life blood. Also there is an oil cooler available for Kohler engines, you remove the oil filter and the threaded nipple(internal hex) then the oil cooler goes in place with a new threaded nipple and the oil filter goes on that. Two hoses run to the right with the heat exchanger, you drill a few holes in the flywheel/fan shroud for forced air flow. Kohler engines have some cylinder head problems, mainly valve guide issues.
Hang in there, it will be a long time lawn mowing buddy.

Bill

#42 ·
My Wheel Horse Looked Great On the surface But the Trans was Just covered. It was so bad That I didn't see How a Cable Tube for the Clevis Hitch(sleeve Hitch) Lifting cable actually fit Until I cleaned all the crud Out. Only Issue I have Had with my 1992 WH 416-H (y)

Reactions: WrongDoug
#43 ·
Thanks for all the replies guys, you've put my mind at ease. The fins up near the cylinder jugs and the heads were not as bad as the areas lower on the block. I feel like I got them pretty clean but I probably won't be completely satisfied until I remove the blower housing and clean it out really well. The screen under the dash was clean and in place and the accordion between the dash tower and the engine is also in place.

I definitely want to track down the culprit(s) behind the oil leak and fix the two bolts that snapped.

The oil cooler seems like a great idea Bill. I think I may invest in one. I dont know if the dealer used synthetic or conventional oil but I am a synthetic fan, and I plan on doing my own oil change before I do any real work with this machine.

As for the transaxle, from underneath it looks pretty clean but I will pull the seat and make sure it is spotless.

#44 ·
Joe I hate it that your gas tank is warped. I've been thinking about how to get that thing back in shape.

Maybe a piece of pvc pipe jammed tight in the neck to force it round then heat gun--prefill tank with water for safety. Just spitballing.

#45 ·
Joe I hate it that your gas tank is warped. I've been thinking about how to get that thing back in shape.

Maybe a piece of pvc pipe jammed tight in the neck to force it round then heat gun--prefill tank with water for safety. Just spitballing.
Steve, I was thinking the something along the lines of a heat gun as well. Having to pull the tank doesn't bother me that much, I was planning on replacing the fuel line as PM anyways, but I never even heard of such a thing happening. The only thing I can think of that might of caused it would be that someone rested a heavy gas can up against the fill neck while refueling and caused it to bend, but even that seems a little far fetched. Worst case scenario if I can't fix mine, I'm sure I can find a used one somewhere. Looks like Cub wants around $200 for a new one. That's one expensive piece of plastic.

By the way I recently got a new phone and every time I type "Steve" it autocorrects to "Estevez" :ROFLMAO:

#48 ·
Joe, I looked at my ebay purchase history and found my grommets. It was a Simplicity sending unit grommet.

Pick up tube:

These are bushings for the spool valve handles. 5 is the same price for 1 CC.

#49 ·
Joe, I looked at my ebay purchase history and found my grommets. It was a Simplicity sending unit grommet.

Pick up tube:

These are bushings for the spool valve handles. 5 is the same price for 1 CC.

Thanks Steve, that'll save me some cash! Do you happen to know the pedal bushing part numbers?

Its It's unseasonably warm here today, 60°F this morning and supposed to go up to 70° later, probably a record or something, but it's great for working on the tractor. I've got the front sheet metal pulled off the front and the driveshaft disconnected, my goal is to pull the engine forward some sonic can get the blower housing off to clean inside. Say a prayer for me!

Land vehicle Vehicle Riding mower Motor vehicle Lawn mower

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.