My Tractor Forum banner

221 - 236 of 236 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,578 Posts
Steve, did you attempt to buy hoses that would connect directly to the deck lift cylinder hoses? I have not examined the DLHs recently, but IIRC correctly they have a threaded end on the cylinder end and I would think it is likely that you could probably buy pre-made hoses with the correct ends, OR buy adapters that would connect the DLHs to a pre-made hoses, OR get hoses made up with ends that would work without you having to cut DLHs off of the barbed ends.
Joel, the DL hoses have male ORB fittings on them. Most of these hoses are pretty hard after 20 years of use. You can probably find adapters to go from ORB to pipe thread but you still end up with a section of old crusty hose and extra joints in it and most of those adapters are >$10-$14 each. I didn't want to spend $50 in fittings just to glom together a bunch of crusty hoses.

I wanted a clean install so I felt better putting in the work to cut the fittings out and have them crimped into hose with 1/4 npt ends on the other end.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #222
Yeah I think I would prefer to have as few joints as possible to limit the number of sources for leaks. I'm gonna try to get the brackets to the powdercoater this week. Then I'll try to get ahold of some deck lift hoses. I also have to order the o rings for the valves. Right now we've got 3 inches if snow on the ground so I don't mind doing this stuff that can be done inside.

20200208_202436.jpg

·
Premium Member
2,578 Posts
Yeah I think I would prefer to have as few joints as possible to limit the number of sources for leaks. I'm gonna try to get the brackets to the powdercoater this week. Then I'll try to get ahold of some deck lift hoses. I also have to order the o rings for the valves. Right now we've got 3 inches if snow on the ground so I don't mind doing this stuff that can be done inside.

View attachment 2445543
I think I bought some 1800 series hoses that had the same ends so that may make the search easier.

They are a PITA to remove w/o damaging them. I split the ferrule with a die grinder on both sides then used an air hammer with a chisel on it to break it off the front crimp.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #224
I think I bought some 1800 series hoses that had the same ends so that may make the search easier.

They are a PITA to remove w/o damaging them. I split the ferrule with a die grinder on both sides then used an air hammer with a chisel on it to break it off the front crimp.
I'm gonna try to get ahold of the guy I bought the valves off of, I think he has another 3000 series so he should have 4 hoses. I doubt he'd want very much for them.

I figured they are probably a pain to remove. Dremel with a cutoff wheel seems like the way to go.

·
Registered
226 Posts
If your going back, you probably should try to buy the rear axle assembly too, assuming the price it good. They really are not that hard to pull, especially if you have a GOOD Cordless Impact Gun. IIRC there are like 8 bolts after the driveshaft is disconnected.

·
Premium Member
2,578 Posts
I'm gonna try to get ahold of the guy I bought the valves off of, I think he has another 3000 series so he should have 4 hoses. I doubt he'd want very much for them.

I figured they are probably a pain to remove. Dremel with a cutoff wheel seems like the way to go.
Joe, did you get your hoses yet?

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #229
Holy cow, that thing is REALLY clean!
Thanks! It's very rust free, a big plus for me.

I picked up a gallon of Evapo-rust at the parts store today and started soaking the lift links and the handle adapter pieces for the spool valves. If you've never used it, it's good stuff. Probably your best option if you dont have a sandblaster or a compressor that can run one.

20200215_150232.jpg
20200215_150239.jpg

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #230
And here are the parts after 24 hours in Evapo-Rust. Works well. These pieces (except for the two brackets) weren't originally painted but I think a quick coat of SEM trim black may be a good idea. Powdercoat is probably too thick and would cause them to stick.

20200216_185043.jpg

The Evapo-rust wont harm the zinc coating on the fasteners, but it will remove any black oxide coating, as on the two bolts on the left. I'm going to probably replace these fasteners anyway.

20200216_185551.jpg

·
Premium Member
2,578 Posts
And here are the parts after 24 hours in Evapo-Rust. Works well. These pieces (except for the two brackets) weren't originally painted but I think a quick coat of SEM trim black may be a good idea. Powdercoat is probably too thick and would cause them to stick.

View attachment 2446285

The Evapo-rust wont harm the zinc coating on the fasteners, but it will remove any black oxide coating, as on the two bolts on the left. I'm going to probably replace these fasteners anyway.

View attachment 2446286
Cleaned up great Joe. I've wondered about those rust removers but have never used one. I found this vid pretty informative.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #232
Cleaned up great Joe. I've wondered about those rust removers but have never used one. I found this vid pretty informative.

Thanks Steve, I didn't want to bolt them on all rusty. That's a good video, I like that channel. For the valve bodies themselves I think I'm just gonna hit them with a Roloc disc and paint them with the same SEM Trim black. That's probably my favorite black spray can paint. I have been meaning to take the yellow pieces to a powder coating shop for a whole but I've just gotten busy. Maybe I'll get to it this week.

·
Premium Member
2,578 Posts
Should work good Joe. That GT is really coming together nicely. I use my stuff too hard to make it look that nice. It'd make me sick running it thru the woods like I do and scraping the footboards up with my muddy boots.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #234
Should work good Joe. That GT is really coming together nicely. I use my stuff too hard to make it look that nice. It'd make me sick running it thru the woods like I do and scraping the footboards up with my muddy boots.
Thanks Steve, really appreciate the kind words. I generally tend to fix stuff up to be too nice and then I'm always afraid to use it. It's a terrible habit. :LOL:

·
Premium Member
2,578 Posts
Thanks Steve, really appreciate the kind words. I generally tend to fix stuff up to be too nice and then I'm always afraid to use it. It's a terrible habit. :LOL:
I have deliberately not gone crazy on my 3240. I really want to paint it up but it is a workhorse. I'd still use it but be sick scratching it. Not worth the stress

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #236
I have deliberately not gone crazy on my 3240. I really want to paint it up but it is a workhorse. I'd still use it but be sick scratching it. Not worth the stress
Wise man. I'm gonna use this tractor but being it's in such good shape I'll be anxious about it getting marked up. Maybe it wont be a bad idea to keep the 1525 around for beater tasks.

221 - 236 of 236 Posts