My Tractor Forum banner

181 - 200 of 339 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,747 Posts
I agree that it is seems a little high, but it is about what I would expect. If you wait long enough, you may find them cheaper, but they don't come along at a "good price" very often. I know, because I looked for years and ended up buying complete tractors that already had the valves/lines instead of just buying the hydraulic parts. That is why I and others suggested buying a tractor that already had the attachment/s you want.
Yeah, and when you want them they are no where to be found. Piecing them together gets expensive as well. I got lucky and found a seller selling the valves with all the hardware and handles for $40 each. I haven't seen any sell like that since.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #182
I agree that it is seems a little high, but it is about what I would expect. If you wait long enough, you may find them cheaper, but they don't come along at a "good price" very often. I know, because I looked for years and ended up buying complete tractors that already had the valves/lines instead of just buying the hydraulic parts. That is why I and others suggested buying a tractor that already had the attachment/s you want.
Yeah, and when you want them they are no where to be found. Piecing them together gets expensive as well. I got lucky and found a seller selling the valves with all the hardware and handles for $40 each. I haven't seen any sell like that since.
The good thing is I'm not in a rush. We haven't gotten one bit of measurable snow this year and I haven't had to shovel or plow anything. And if I need to the 1525 is around with chains and a plow on it, and I'm in no hurry to get rid of it.

I'll be patient and persistent. Since yesterday I found another seller in upstate New York selling the entire setup with handles, 3 spool valves, power angle and lift lines for $400 shipped to me.

01313_i2qz20wwbDs_1200x900.jpg

·
Premium Member
4,747 Posts
The good thing is I'm not in a rush. We haven't gotten one bit of measurable snow this year and I haven't had to shovel or plow anything. And if I need to the 1525 is around with chains and a plow on it, and I'm in no hurry to get rid of it.

I'll be patient and persistent. Since yesterday I found another seller in upstate New York selling the entire setup with handles, 3 spool valves, power angle and lift lines for $400 shipped to me.

View attachment 2444730
I'd do that deal Joe.

Reactions: WrongDoug

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #184
I'd do that deal Joe.
It seems like a fair deal to me especially since it's the whole setup. $50 of that is just to ship them. Plus I don't have to get up off my *** to get them other than to put a money order in the mailbox.

It's basically a bolt on setup, plus I'll have a spare spool valve and handle, and I'll be able to buy the hitch and the plow later on as I come across them. He's including new o-rings too to replace all of the existing ones.

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
I'd do that deal Joe.
Steve, isn't that only slightly more than you paid for your 3240?

Joe, if you can wait, you may be able to find a complete(or nearly complete) tractor with a blown motor, or bad rear axle, that has the hydraulic parts you need, for a similar price.

·
Premium Member
4,747 Posts
Steve, isn't that only slightly more than you paid for your 3240?

Joe, if you can wait, you may be able to find a complete(or nearly complete) tractor with a blown motor, or bad rear axle, that has the hydraulic parts you need, for a similar price.
Yep but I ended up with $250 adding my 2 spool valves, hoses, and QDs.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #187
The cost is what it is. There is definitely no rush but in the end it's probably not gonna be cheap, and I knew that when I bought the tractor with no aux hydraulics. I may buy this set or I may wait a little while. Not because they aren't a good deal, but it probably isn't a bad idea to ease up on the spending for a little while. I've got the tractor itself into good shape, and I'm content with it as it is for now.

·
Premium Member
4,747 Posts
The cost is what it is. There is definitely no rush but in the end it's probably not gonna be cheap, and I knew that when I bought the tractor with no aux hydraulics. I may buy this set or I may wait a little while. Not because they aren't a good deal, but it probably isn't a bad idea to ease up on the spending for a little while. I've got the tractor itself into good shape, and I'm content with it as it is for now.
The reason I said I'd go for it is that I ended up hunting everywhere for my stuff, ran all over town to get hoses made, cut ends out of hoses I bought off ebay, and spent a bunch of hours to cut apart and make my auxiliary handles work. I would have been money ahead buying the setup you listed and saving a TON of time and labor.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #190
The reason I said I'd go for it is that I ended up hunting everywhere for my stuff, ran all over town to get hoses made, cut ends out of hoses I bought off ebay, and spent a bunch of hours to cut apart and make my auxiliary handles work. I would have been money ahead buying the setup you listed and saving a TON of time and labor.
I agree, I think it's a good deal. I don't mind paying a little more to save myself some time and aggravation. The timing isn't the greatest as I did just buy the tractor and put about $150 in parts in it. I just have to sleep on it, I don't like to make snap decisions. I got it touch with the seller and he said shipping would be fine, they have been listed for over 2 months according to the ad so I don't think they are going anywhere fast.

Great job, trying to fix it and succeeding is way better than just forking over the money and buying a replacement. As for your mow in reverse alteration, we are all adults here and it is your tractor, the best way to "fix" it is to pull the relay in the little fuse box by the battery and jumper the power terminals. That way the reverse lights will still work without any extra fuss.

Bill
Thanks Bill, I'm very pleased that I was able to fix the tank. I've got the mow in reverse taken care of, reverse lights are still working. You may want to edit your post, I think it is against forum rules to provide instructions on how to defeat safety devices. I personally don't care, but a moderator might feel differently. Don't want to see you get mark on your file, lol.

In other news I replaced the indicator bulb for my low fuel light. I'm embarrassed to admit how much I paid for these tiny little bulbs, $5.99 for a two pack, but I did have a gift card so it could've been worse I guess. Now my low fuel light works so I don't have to run out of gas in the middle of the yard. Bulbs are #74 for future reference.

20200126_160354.jpg

20200126_160432.jpg

·
Registered
298 Posts
The cool thing about the relay fix is that you can add a momentary on switch and now you have the feature that the factory included in the GT3000's. Also all the other safety switches stay intact and functional.

Bill

·
Ejl in Pa.
372 Posts
I agree, I think it's a good deal. I don't mind paying a little more to save myself some time and aggravation. The timing isn't the greatest as I did just buy the tractor and put about $150 in parts in it. I just have to sleep on it, I don't like to make snap decisions. I got it touch with the seller and he said shipping would be fine, they have been listed for over 2 months according to the ad so I don't think they are going anywhere fast.

Thanks Bill, I'm very pleased that I was able to fix the tank. I've got the mow in reverse taken care of, reverse lights are still working. You may want to edit your post, I think it is against forum rules to provide instructions on how to defeat safety devices. I personally don't care, but a moderator might feel differently. Don't want to see you get mark on your file, lol.

In other news I replaced the indicator bulb for my low fuel light. I'm embarrassed to admit how much I paid for these tiny little bulbs, $5.99 for a two pack, but I did have a gift card so it could've been worse I guess. Now my low fuel light works so I don't have to run out of gas in the middle of the yard. Bulbs are #74 for future reference.

View attachment 2444759

View attachment 2444760
Joe you need to buy another used 3000 series to refurbish. I'm getting bored with logging in here and nothing to read.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #193
Joe you need to buy another used 3000 series to refurbish. I'm getting bored with logging in here and nothing to read.
Lol someone else take a turn!

I'm still trying to decide whether or not I should buy that set of spool valves and lines I found on Craigslist.

I still have some things to do with it, I have to get a few jugs of Rotella and change the oil and filter in the rear. I have the filter sitting on my desk. I've also got to get an engine oil filter, some spark plugs and a fuel filter. I'm tempted to just buy one of those tune up kits they sell at Tractor Supply just for the sake of convenience. I should also go around and hit all the grease zerks. I may have to stop at Harbor Freight and pick up a new grease gun, mine has seen better days.

When we get a warm-ish day I'd like to pull the deck off and pressure wash the underside. I can see the blades are almost like new but I have no idea how much grass is actually caked under there.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #194
Not an update on the tractor itself per se, but I got a new tool in the garage that will definitely help out with the tractor. I've been working without an air compressor in the garage since approximately mid summer when my old 8 gallon Cambell Hausfeld kicked the bucket. It's been a real inconvenience to say the least. I got a lot of use out of that old compressor but it was really inadequate for my application. Anyways I've been working without a compressor and I finally got fed up over the weekend and decided to bite the bullet and buy one. I have a grandiose plan for a big 240V 120 gal compressor that will be hard plumbed into the garage but I'm just not ready for that yet and I need something to get me by for a while. I looked on Facebook marketplace and on Craigslist and didn't see anything, so I stopped at Horror Freight and didn't like any of their models, so I looked at Home Depot and Lowes' websites and decided to buy the biggest one I could afford right now that was in stock. I wound up with this-
20200131_153138.jpg
20200131_172044.jpg

It's a 30 gallon 1.7 HP 175 PSI Husky unit from Home Depot. It puts out 5.1 cfm at 90 PSI and 6.8 cfm at 40 PSI which should be adequate for most of my tasks. It says it can do intermittent HVLP painting but I'm skeptical of that. I have my old primer gun and my Snap-On basecoat gun so we'll find out eventually. I still need to buy a snubber hose and a hose reel for it from Harbor Freight. I'll also have to get some fittings and other little things. It's not my dream compressor but it's a huge step up from my old compressor and obviously much better than not having one at all. I'm just really glad that I won't have to go to the gas station anymore to put air in the tires.

Also if all goes to plan, I should have a pretty good update tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
4,747 Posts
Not an update on the tractor itself per se, but I got a new tool in the garage that will definitely help out with the tractor. I've been working without an air compressor in the garage since approximately mid summer when my old 8 gallon Cambell Hausfeld kicked the bucket. It's been a real inconvenience to say the least. I got a lot of use out of that old compressor but it was really inadequate for my application. Anyways I've been working without a compressor and I finally got fed up over the weekend and decided to bite the bullet and buy one. I have a grandiose plan for a big 240V 120 gal compressor that will be hard plumbed into the garage but I'm just not ready for that yet and I need something to get me by for a while. I looked on Facebook marketplace and on Craigslist and didn't see anything, so I stopped at Horror Freight and didn't like any of their models, so I looked at Home Depot and Lowes' websites and decided to buy the biggest one I could afford right now that was in stock. I wound up with this- View attachment 2445065 View attachment 2445067

It's a 30 gallon 1.7 HP 175 PSI Husky unit from Home Depot. It puts out 5.1 cfm at 90 PSI and 6.8 cfm at 40 PSI which should be adequate for most of my tasks. It says it can do intermittent HVLP painting but I'm skeptical of that. I have my old primer gun and my Snap-On basecoat gun so we'll find out eventually. I still need to buy a snubber hose and a hose reel for it from Harbor Freight. I'll also have to get some fittings and other little things. It's not my dream compressor but it's a huge step up from my old compressor and obviously much better than not having one at all. I'm just really glad that I won't have to go to the gas station anymore to put air in the tires.

Also if all goes to plan, I should have a pretty good update tomorrow.
I was surprised when you said you didn't have one when you were cleaning the muck out from around your flywheel. That'll sure make things easier.
If you want to mount your reel from the ceiling you can use rubber air hose to plum it quick and easy. Mine's been rubber for~10 years now and no leaks.

·
Premium Member
4,164 Posts
I've got a similar hose reel, busted the hose right at the end fitting a couple years ago, and just recently fixed a cut in the middle of the hose (likely because I don't reel it in all the time).

·
Premium Member
4,747 Posts
I've got a similar hose reel, busted the hose right at the end fitting a couple years ago, and just recently fixed a cut in the middle of the hose (likely because I don't reel it in all the time).
I've had a few cracks on mine at the hose end and just cut off a bit to get away from it. Cheap Chinese hose. No big deal. If it ever gets to be a major problem I'll replace with a Goodyear rubber hose.

My FIL bought a plastic hose reel from Atwoods I think. The ratchet mechanism that keeps the hose from retracting broke w/in a few months.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #198
Well that compressor sure came in handy cleaning up these things today-

20200201_142841.jpg

20200201_142847.jpg

20200201_142901.jpg

20200201_142910.jpg

I found these on craigslist about an hour away. Guy had an ad with no pictures saying he was parting out tractors. So I texted and asked if he had any 3000s, he said yes. So I asked if any of them had front hydraulics, he said he didn't know, but he'd check and get back to me. I didn't hear from him for a couple days, but then he texted me and said one of them has 3 hydraulic handles if that's what I was looking for. I said yeah, that's what I need, so I asked for a price for all of the handles, valves and lines. He said he wasn't sure of the condition of the lines and he wasn't crawling underneath to check. Still he said he'd take $75 for everything, but I had to pull it. I couldn't say yes fast enough. So I met him today and I know why he wanted me to pull the stuff. This was the rustiest tractor I've ever seen in my life. He said the guy who owned it used it to salt and plow snow and never cleaned it. It was parked in the middle of a field with about 50 other lawn tractors. He told me he didn't care what I had to do to get them off. So I worked through the rust and the mud and removed the valves, handles, lines and the ends.

20200201_115220.jpg

The lines are unsurprisingly rusted through but the ends are good I think. All the valves move free. I'm certain they need all the o-rings. All I've done so far was blow them off with air compressor and loosen the nuts and bolts on them. They are gonna need some more clean up, maybe some Evapo-Rust. I'm not sure what to do about the lines. Not sure if a hydraulic shop can make them or something, but they are expensive from Cub.

20200201_142941.jpg

20200201_142947.jpg

20200201_142955.jpg

20200201_143015.jpg

Still, for $75 I think I did okay.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,747 Posts
Dang Joe, great score! The problem with making the lines is the special end that goes in the valves. There are some shops that can do it. I think Pfreiburger had some made awhile back.

Alternatively you can buy deck lift hoses off ebay and remove the ends and have rubber lines made like I did.

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
Joe, is that the guy that I pointed you to?

That is a GREAT DEAL, even if you can't use the lines. The valves alone are worth way more than that.

New lines are about $75 each from CC, but this place appears to have them for $5x.xx each. Search - 727-3142

I remember when I was looking at the cost of piecing things together and I found that CC wants $2x.xx for each of the little "couplers" that connect the valves together, so $5x.xx per line does not seem too excessive.

181 - 200 of 339 Posts