My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The wife said she wanted to keep a few backyard chickens. To be honest I didn't really have much interest in poultry but Happy wife = Happy life so I started investigating what it would take to keep a few chickens in the back yard.

This is the result. I am proud of it considering I didn't use written plans and this was my first wood-framing construction project. I wouldn't want to live in it but it'll be fine for the chickens.

Here it is about 95% complete.

Mrs. HandsomeRyan planting flowers out front.

Quality ******* entertainment. A bottle of wine, some bouncy chairs, and a chicken coop.

A few of the ladies who live there.

·
Registered
7,945 Posts
I had the same happy wife syndrome (HWS)!!

Gotta weld and use a tractor to make it a ******* project!!

Gratuitous grandchild pic!!

High production from the chickens!!

I like the paint on yours, we never painted. That might be a good spring project for us.!! :fing32:

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
That's sure is a nice looking coop, job well done. Looks like you can move it around if needed too to keep from killing so much grass.
EDIT, I see you planted flowers around it, never mind about moving :fing20:
My coop is an old stall in back of barn, drawback is I can't move pen arund in the back.
Here is a couple pic of the new feeder I made, got tired of the hens wasting so much food. I made mine longer and with double uprights since i have so many hens, but you can use a short piece for bottom. I made it out of some thin walled 4" sewer pipe I had from another project, just needed elbows and a good 2" hole saw. Fill the uprights and hens pull feed to middle by picking, very little waste now and if I fill up, can go a couple-3 days without feeding.

·
ADMINISTRATOR
15,870 Posts
Your coop came out beautiful! Love the design and colors! I love having chickens. And pigeons. And ducks. And......

And Tahoe, your feeder is truly ingenious! Mind if I borrow that design?

·
Registered
7,945 Posts
Your coop came out beautiful! Love the design and colors! I love having chickens. And pigeons. And ducks. And......

And Tahoe, your feeder is truly ingenious! Mind if I borrow that design?
What do you mean your gonna borrow it!! I am borrow it!! Woot!! :fing32:

OH, maybe we can both borrow it!! :congrats:

I like the idea of positioning it so you can fill it without opening the door. :sterb030:

If my wife sees the flowers, I will have to get the tiller out.

We let ours out now and then, but, if the door is open over-night, the racoons will take one!!

·
ADMINISTRATOR
15,870 Posts

·
Registered
7,945 Posts
Just figured it's always polite to ask :howdy:
It is!! I love when these guys post pics, we can always learn.

I did basically the same thing with 4" PVC and a 5 gallon water cooler jug.

I made a "U" out of the PVC, with one end in the coop, the other end outside.

Turn the jug over, stick it in the PVC "U" at one end. The "U" will fill with water, no more will come out of the jug until the chickens drink it down.

Also, the small 4" hole is slightly elevated off the floor, the chickens are less likely to mess in it, the water stays clean.

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Ok, anyone can borrow the design, just send me $9.99 to cover my patent license HAHA.
I actualy found something similar on Youtube then made it bigger to fit my needs.
Mine is mounted up off the floor also, also keeps dirt out and them from trying to scratch it out. I also ended up enlarging the holes a bit i.e. cut basically slots between two holes down each side, they wouldn't eat out of it with the samll holes, works fine now.

Thanks CAD for the idea of a waterer...I have a 5 gal jug and was trying to figure out how to make a waterer using it. I have a 1 1/2 or 2 gal metal waterer, but when it's hot out, man I'm filling it twice a day.
How do you clean it? Is it mounted permanent or can you turn it over to dump it out?

I also let mine out if I out there working around barn, we have 2 large owls and a pair of big ole hawks or they would be out all the time. Already lost a couple that way, then the occasional fox strolls through and grabs a couple.

·
Registered
7,945 Posts
I will have to try to get pics of the waterer. Actually I used a "T" at the jug end with a cap on it. The whole thing sits on the cap, the weight of the jug keeps it from moving.

Just lift it out and clean it.

It is inside the front facing large door, that area behind the door is also feed storage.

The two smaller side doors are egg access and cleanout access.

I also added a gutter on the back which dumps into a rubber pan.

A good rain, that pan is self cleaning!! :drunkie:

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
I just finished building a ~4'x4'x4' coop this winter for my brother (shame on me for not taking pictures) very similar to Handsomeryan's enclosed part. My main focus was designing for poop; poultry poop everywhere and making it as easy to clean as possible should be your goal. I made the inner floor cup down about 5" by using 1/4" luan plywood and then stuck the entry door right in the middle with a hinged ramp. I also hinged the roof so you can look down into it and nail it with a water hose. Everything kinda goes down the drain, so to speak.

Poultry nipples are quite cheap and work very well. All you need is some kind of water "tank" and a 1/8 NPT tap. And maybe some silicone. Again they are much more poop proof than any kind of bowl.

Just some ideas.

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Good ideas. I would love to make all my stuff uesable from outside, but the way it's all set up, feeders have to be inside the pen.
I have thought about the watering nipples, my luck they would all die of de-hydration from not using them. I know they work great for hogs too.
Here's a few pics of the new nests I had to make. I had 25 hens using two nests....DOH!
My neighbor moved,threw away this old metal shelving so I found 4-12 qt washing tubs at Wally's for $1.97 a piece. Moved shelves to proper positions, cut top off, and had some old plywood and 2x2's and made this 4 nest condo. Wash tubs are removeable so can pull them out and dump out/clean if needed. I still have 1-2 hens that lay on the floor. I left one of the old nests there as I have some stubborn chickens, but still can use 5 nests.

·
ADMINISTRATOR
15,870 Posts
Love the re-purposing. I had wooden nest boxes, and the hens would kick the nesting material out, so subsequently I had broken eggs. Now they're set up with ground boxes. No more broken eggs :fing32:

·
Registered
172 Posts
We've had chickens for a while and tried various sheds. Started with a small one on stilts modeled after an example from Mother Earth News. Quickly outgrew that, so we moved them into the goat shed -- wooden sides and floor, on posts. Metal roof, open between the rafters. Became a take-out for racoons and opossums, so, after our daughter sold her horse and went to college, we moved them into the horse shed. Added a cement floor to cut down on the burrowing critters but neglected the openings between the rafters. Racoons had no problem going up the outside of the wooden walls. At the time we had a really good dog who alerted me to and treed racoons, then stayed there until I shot them. Unfortunately I shot a couple in the shed, about 2 AM. Got them and the roof with a 16 gauge. :dunno:

Attachments

·
Registered
172 Posts
Even though raccoon is really good eating, I decided it was time to get serious about a chicken shed. Used the lumber and metal from the goat shed and some from other projects, bought some new metal for the roofing, added windows salvaged from an old job -- the roofing -- strongpanel -- and the cement and gravel were the major expenses. Ran electric to it a few years ago, underground, using the Kubota. This winter we added a heater for the waterer and it is nice not having to haul water and break ice two or more times a day!

Attachments

·
Registered
172 Posts
The south side faces our house so it's "prettier." The other three sides are metal. (The lower part of the south side is also metal; I'd discovered attempts to get through the lower part of the horse shed so I wanted metal at the base -- so far, no problems!) Soffits are enclosed, but there are narrow spots open on the sides to allow for ventilation.

Attachments

·
Registered
172 Posts
Tried various roosts over the years, including 2-inch saplings, but haven't found anything as good -- at least for these heavy breeds -- as 2x3 lumber. Screw one flat on top of one vertical (for strength). The heavier birds like the larger surface.

Tried various nest boxes, too, and these are the best I've made. They are wood, but the 1x3 front edge keeps most of the bedding (pine shavings) in. There are eleven boxes, plus bedding and a front lip on the floor under the boxes for the lazier/older hens. Of course, some hens are never happy -- two go back to the horse shed and lay in the corner trough, even though they never lived in there.

BTW, I think not having a rooster cuts down on the broodiness of the hens. No data to support that, just anecdotal, but it seems like we have a lot less of that -- and of hiding nests -- then we did in the earlier years.

So there's our evolution from a few birds to selling eggs. Down to 33 hens -- lost a couple recently to dogs or coyotes, during the day! Need a good dog to keep them away, but that's another post.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Nice looking coops. Ours are going to stay in the 17' Prowler camper. Yesterday I moved it into a shaded area and pulled the tarp off the roof to fix the holes where a tree limb fell on it. We then started on a frame on top to build a tin roof over the thin aluminum roof. Had to keep the wife happy. This morning I'll see how my patch job did since we had a lot of rain last night.

·
Registered
7,945 Posts
Keeps rodents from living under them and in my case adds a little extra shaded and protected area for the girls to hang out.
I did mine elevated originally so that we would not have to bend over to pick eggs.

It turns out there are a ton of benefits!!

Raccoon's tend to leave it alone, coyote's, fox, and whatever else leave it alone also.

It stays dry, no dampness, NO smell!! WOOT! :thThumbsU

The manure that falls on the ground is perfect for worms and bugs that the chickens like, kind of like perpetual motion, the poop gives the chickens free food!!

Did I mention no bending over!! LOL :drunkie:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts