My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We picked up two of the first Ridemasters made, the Beancutter. This one originally was red and was a little simpler, but not much. Anyways, I am going to restore one for my dad and one for myself (happy 60th Paps!). I am currently working on the rusty one which is actually more original but is all locked up. These things are very simple and I will probably have it done in no time. My brother and dad will probably help out so I'll update you all on our progress. I am very excited about these as they were the first of the Ridemasters and seem a little more unique. I can't believe the guy I bought them from found two.....Anyways, enjoy the picks. I even found fresh paint which will help me when it comes time to match the right color. We also picked up an AKN engine for the first restore.

·
Eleven Year Site Sponsor
2,821 Posts
Wonderful!! TWO Bean Cutlers. Most folks cannot even find one. Looking forward to see the progress made.

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
Nice haul Justin, I look forward to seeing the progress on them.

·
Lindeman crawler fan
2,794 Posts
Those are absolutely fabulous, Justin.
I'm really glad they are going to be restored.

·
5,525 Posts
Thay both look in good shape.

All thay need is TLC.

Nice buy by the way.

Feel free to ship that plow to me.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Nice Score.Don't see to many of those around here.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for straightening me out on the name Ray. So these things are Bean Cutlers, not to be confused with bean cutter.......LOL. Rookie Ridemaster collector mistake.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Gonna run to my dads this weekend and sandblast. Everything came apart fairly easy but I still have to free up the tranny.

Now comes the hard part.....getting that pulley off.

·
Bolens 1886-01
3,192 Posts
Very nice find and they look to be in good shape for the age.

·
Lindeman crawler fan
2,794 Posts
Justin
A thought on that frozen transmission.
I would suspect the bearing right behind the drive pulley is what is frozen up.
It isn't likely that anything is actually wrong with transmission itself as everything runs in gear lube inside.
The pulley bearing however, is a sealed, non-grease-able bearing.

Use heat and penetrating oil on the pulley.
It is just a slip fit with a snap-ring to keep it on so hopefully it isn't rusted on too tight.

Use a 3-arm gear puller to grip it on the back of the hub ( thru the notches ) and BE CAREFUL .. you don't want to brake that pulley.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
From your previous posts I would say they have gone to a good home.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Justin
A thought on that frozen transmission.
I would suspect the bearing right behind the drive pulley is what is frozen up.
It isn't likely that anything is actually wrong with transmission itself as everything runs in gear lube inside.
The pulley bearing however, is a sealed, non-grease-able bearing.

Use heat and penetrating oil on the pulley.
It is just a slip fit with a snap-ring to keep it on so hopefully it isn't rusted on too tight.

Use a 3-arm gear puller to grip it on the back of the hub ( thru the notches ) and BE CAREFUL .. you don't want to brake that pulley.
Well, the pulley spins freely now, didn't take much to loosen it up. Now the question is, do I really dare try and remove it or leave it be.....The purist in me wants to take it off and replace the bearing.

·
Lindeman crawler fan
2,794 Posts
Justin

Here are the photos of an engine pulley that I built for a Ridemaster that I sold last fall.
The 3 / V-belt pulley is a standard pulley that I got off ebay.
I turned both ends down enough to leave a small "collar" for the reverse disc to fit onto.
The reverse disc are turned out of aluminum and are bolted to the pulley with 1/4 inch flathead allen screws.

I thought maybe these photos would help you when you make up your engine pulleys.

·
Shop = My Therapy
3,158 Posts
Those are cool!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts