My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
????
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As of tonight…I’m now the owner of a 1974 B-80 4-speed Wheehorse….The engines got a hole in the block and the tractor has been dismantled to some extent(Thankfully all the parts are there)..It came with a barely used plow, tire chains and a nice 36 inch deck…The story of my purchase of this machine is pretty bizarre ..but I’ll save that for another time…

I’m looking for some advice on dealing with replacing/rebuilding the engine…Should I look for a complete used engine…or buy a used block and rebuild the old engine?…Would I be better off with a different engine?… I believe I’m mechanically inclined enough to deal with a rebuilding….Thanks in advance for any suggestions…..

I’ll try and get some pictures up this weekend…..I’m excited in finally being a Wheelhorse owner…and look forward to sharing my "adventures"

·
16,612 Posts
Hello--And welcome to MTF.:MTF_wel2:

Welcome, also to being a new Wheelhorse owner...it gets in your blood, however...

As for me--I would try to find a Whole , complete same engine----It will take some looking--but then you can use a lot of the outside parts as spares. If you change engines, it can be done, but rewireing, re-placeing of gas tank, hood closure, etc. all come into play.:banghead3

So and also---it would not be what left the Wheelhorse factory, if'n you ever want to sell it. Most are pueists!!

Info on the engine=-=Size/type/spec. should be on a sticker on engine tins.

Good luck--use this forum as a springboard to seach for a new engine-

glenn-

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
Yup, been there, done that.
Got a Troy Bilt with a hole in the engine, the size of your fist. Took out the 10 hp Briggs, put in a 12 hp Briggs, same mounting holes. A tight squeeze for exhaust. Minimal wiring changes, nothing else.
If you find an engine that will fit up correctly, a nice afternoon (or two) project in a heated garage.
I've got a couple Horses, too. I'd like to keep them powered as they came from the factory basically because they're my first tractors and don't need bigger motors. And, so far, they're running good.
Resale value would go down if I put in something else, other than the Briggs motors. That is, if I were to sell them.
Welcome to the Wheel Horse 'stable', Jeep.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Your B80 should have a 8hp kohler like the one pictured below. I would try to find the same motor block to put in it and rebuild the one you have or find a running replacement motor. The one pictured here has a broken rod but luckly it didn't go through the block so I picked up another crank and rod/piston assembly from ebay for under $20 that I will put in it. I will do some checking around maybe I can find a runner for you.

Attachments

·
????
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies and the welcome...It does have a kohler 181s and I would prefer to keep it original....

rydogg...Any help would be appriciated...I'm going to start checking around locally and see if I can find anything....If not I'll expand my search...A quick look on eBay turned up a few possibilities(I think)...

Any advice on a fair value for either a good running engine or just a re-buildable block?....

·
Machinery enthusiast
4,257 Posts
Welcome aboard Jeepdriver.
I just recently had to replace the K181S on my 1966 856. I found a complete engine for $200 and so far it's running great. The original engine that I had only needed bored out, the crank turned and new over size piston, rings & rod and gasket set, the sum total for the parts and machine work would have run well over $250
Be advised that a used shortblock will probably need need boreing, which means it'll also need an oversized piston & rings. Costs always seem to add up.....

Kohler made the K181 for well over 25 yrs so they are plentiful. Course the key is finding one is good servicable condition.
It can be done, just be patient grasshopper :D

Good luck
Dave

·
Just Have a Little Faith!
9,271 Posts
Whether or not you rebuild or buy used depends on how big of a hurry your in to use the tractor. And how much money you have. I would think that rebuilding yourself would be best. Unless you can hear a used one run.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I looked around the shop and found a k161 7hp kohler block from a cub cadet, this has the same bore as a k181 the only difference is the stroke so this should work if you just need a block, otherwise I also found a k181 that was removed from a B-80 but I believe it was a smoker and may have had a knock I am unsure what I am going to do with it since I have not opened up my blown up k181 on my B-80.

Here is a page with the specs on kohler k series motors

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...sg=AFQjCNGsiabP1kHX5L0ethErp2YCKwGgWg&cad=rja

·
????
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well in a very short period of time I’ve managed to annoy almost all the local contacts I can find…:) Unfortunately nothing has turned up…Yet…I’m waiting to here back from one local guy that seems to think he can help me…He’s going to present me with a few different options….One being to replace my kohler with a different engine(possibly a B&S?) just to get me up and running and then if I still desire….aid in rebuilding my K181….He assured me any modifications would be minimal and reversible…We didn’t discuss cost yet….so this whole idea may not pan out either…

In the mean time I’m going to be cleaning everything else up and putting what I can back together this weekend(yes I will take some pictures)…

rydogg…..Thank you again for the offer to help….While I wouldn’t think about depriving you the pleasure of rebuilding your K181…;). I still may have to take you up on the block …..Shoot me a PM with a price for the block and an ballpark estimate of shipping if possible(I’m in CT)

It may turn out that I don’t get to do any plowing this winter…but I’ll be satisfied if I’m mowing with it come summer

Respectfully…and still optimistic…Jeepdriver

1 - 9 of 9 Posts