My Tractor Forum banner
  • We have a new contest celebrating your backyard. Sponsored by Walmart, its your chance to win a $400 gift just in time for the 4th of July! HERE Contest Ends on the 30th.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a GT18 about a week ago and I've been reading this forum since then.

Model No is 917.254410

It's in great shape. I need help with a few things though.

I'd like to put gator mulching blades on, which would probably work better with a mulch plug. I'm going to try just capping the discharge on the side with a flat piece of metal or heavy plastic. Has anyone else done this? I realize it's still not a mulching deck, but capping will hopefully help.

I'd also like a rake of some sort for the back for collecting sticks. Not sure if I should get a landscape rake, or just a pine straw rake. Either way, I need to figure out a hitch for the back. I've been looking at ebay for sleeve hitches and 3-point sears hitches, but I'm not sure what will work best. I saw another user on here with a sleeve hitch that used a 12v winch to lift it -- I may try to do that. Any advice is appreciated.

Lastly, I'd like a dozer blade for the front. I see a lot of craftsman dozer / snow blades on craigslist, but I'm having trouble determining what will fit my tractor. Any thoughts?

I'd love to find a tiller too, but that seems like a long shot. I may just end up getting a walk behind and finding a way to attach it.

This forum has been a huge help so far. thanks.

Attachments

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,892 Posts
nice tractor! one of the last great, super tough craftsman garden tractors. you will find that its a true workhorse

·
Finally at 1k!
1,518 Posts
nice tractor! one of the last great, super tough craftsman garden tractors. you will find that its a true workhorse
The last great craftsman GT was the GT6K.

·
5 Onan Flush
622 Posts
I love the look of those GT's. My neighbor had one dropped off at his place for free (He's a mower repair guy in his 70's). I asked if he would sell it to me and he said no, he would get it running, borrow my plows, and use it to plow a garden (which he never does). It has the electric sleeve hitch on it. It now has weeds growing around it. Enjoy it, those GT's are tough!

·
Registered
110 Posts
very nice, i have the same year and model number along with having a 89 that looks the same with a few minor differences.
I've had my 87 917.254410 since it was new and are very familar with it.

first check the rear-end fluid, behind the left rear wheel is the plug.
there is a adjustable idler pulley for main drive belt tension, right below the high/low range shifter you will see a nut that can be loosened and slid foward or backward for belt tension.
watch for carb problems, dirt in the main jet will cause starving for fuel. i've had it happen with both my 87 and 89.
throw some weights and chains on those rear wheels it won't hurt these tractors.
spindles on the deck are not rebuildable and are replaced as a complete unit including pulley.
on the front of the tractor is a box unit with pulleys for the belt that runs the mower, there is a spring tensioner on it watch these for problems.
weak point on these tractors was the front axle, they are not cast iron just stamped steel check for fatigue cracks in it.
the decks on these cut great but i dont think the mulch idea will work, another thing take that plastic snout off the deck and throw it away. all they do is get caught on stuff.

i mowed 2 and 1/2 acres for 20 years with mine and pushed snow in the winter so the engine is about done for, i got Dads old 84 Sears GT 18 i'm gonna disassemble as parts for the 87 and 89, about 80% is still the same including engine.
these old tractors will do the job, good luck with your new toy.

sorry i won't part with the dozer/snow blade on mine, i need it to much here in SW Pa.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts