My Tractor Forum banner

My new 7119, and ?? about the manual lift

1484 Views 8 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  Old_fart
Only paid $275 for this rascal, deck and plow blade, and it came with 75-lb wheel weights and chains. Runs and drives great!

Biggest issue is the manual lift, which to me doesn't lift high enough, even though the lift cable and pulley (as viewed from underneath with deck off) appear factory and intact.

You can see on the ground-level side view the position of the lever (full lift), and the corresponding position of the deck. I would guess that at full-lift position of the lever, the deck should almost be topping out on the frame.

I couldn't see anywhere on the lift mechanism where there is an adjustment.

Also just remembered: The deck is solid with good blades, spindles are smooth and tight, but the right-side spindle is the only one with a grease-zerk on it; the center and left have no provision for greasing, that I can see. Could a non-Simplicity spindle have been installed on this deck?

Aside from these issues (all fixable), I think I SCORED!!!

Attachments

See less See more
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Not sure whats going on with your lift but yes you SCORED. Looks like its in nice condition and the engine looks like a relatively recent replacement. As for the spindle, not all of them had grease fittings. It was probably just replaced at some point. There are not any aftermarket spindles I am aware of that will fit these decks. All the grease fitting does is allow you to fill the cavity between the bearings with grease. The bearings themselves are sealed.
See less See more
Congrats....great grab! The tractor is actually a repowered 7116.

The mowerdeck lift height on these is sad. Unpin the lift cable and put a single knot in it. You then will have adequate lift.
Congrats....great grab! The tractor is actually a repowered 7116.

The mowerdeck lift height on these is sad. Unpin the lift cable and put a single knot in it. You then will have adequate lift.
Now WHY didn't I think of that? What a simple way to shorten the lift cable!

Thanks!
See less See more
I have a 7112 my father in law bought new. Yes the lift is a sorry set up for the mower deck I think the engineer who designed it had his head where the sun didn't shine. The spindles on the mower deck don't/didn't have any grease zerks and it takes about a tube of grease to fill the cavity up. If you wish you can drill and tap them for zerks, My father in law would take the spindles apart in the winter and refill them so it was ready to go in the spring, dad was just that way with his equipment and cars.
I like the tractor a lot and it does a nice job mowing the grass roots as on mine it seems I can only adjust the height to about 2 inches high, or fully lift it with the manual lift cable. That set up worked well with his front blade how ever.
See less See more
I have a 7112 my father in law bought new.... it seems I can only adjust the height to about 2 inches high, or fully lift it with the manual lift cable.... .
This brings up another set of questions I have with the deck (single-knot in the lift cable worked great, BTW, why didn't they just design in an adjustable clevice?).

The (2) hand-turn handles on either side of the deck above the rollers; are they ONLY to adjust the cutting height? I read the manual, it says that, but doesn't state that they be adjusted to the same setting as best you can, and it doesn't say anything about using them to adjust the left-right level of the cut. So the idea is to drop the deck down until the lift cable is slack, so the deck floats, and the pre-set hand-turn handles controls the cutting height? So what is the purpose of the incremental height settings on the manual lift lever? Just for using a front blade, or maybe to cut high grass where you lose the ability for the deck to float (because it's hanging in the air)?
See less See more
The settings in the lift handle are for a blade, snow blower and other equipment. Yes the deck design is to just hang off the front mount to be pulled along with the rear rollers being the height adjustment and the lift to transport it across side walks and other objects.
The proper cut height adjustment of the deck includes turning in our out the clevises on the front mount. There should be a clevis pin through each, which holds the bail assembly to the front mount. When those clevises are turned in, it lowers the front of the deck, and vice versa.

The proper adjustment would have the leading edge of your blade tip (Center), 1/4" or so higher than the tail edge of your blade tips (L & R). This would be done with your hand adjusters set close to your most preferred cutting height. They may need adjustment as the clevis are turned. Once you get it set as you like, those clevises should not need adjustment again unless you desire a big change to your cut height, while maintaining a premium cut. Often times, when I want to jump up an inch or more in cut height, it's to cut a rough area, or some spot I typically ignore, and so I'm not concerned with that pristine Simplicity cut. Whenever I bring home a new-to-me tractor, I adjust the whole deck as I desire for my mowing.

Blades will also vary your cut height...some hang lower or higher than others. Blade sharpness will obviously drive a quality cut and help with suction/lift of the grass and evacuation of long clippings from the deck chute. Unless you are making a brief cut through some real tall stuff, you do not want the deck mowing while raised by the implement lift. It is not catastrophic normally, but will increase the wear rate on your belt. I have spent an entire afternoon mowing with the deck raised, but with a spare belt on board, and no other way to get around the chore I needed to do. It works well, but I wouldn't want to be doing that every day.
See less See more
you do not want the deck mowing while raised by the implement lift. It is not catastrophic normally, but will increase the wear rate on your belt. I have spent an entire afternoon mowing with the deck raised, but with a spare belt on board, and no other way to get around the chore I needed to do. It works well, but I wouldn't want to be doing that every day.
This is exactly as I suspected, and I looked underneath at a very high lift and noticed the mis-alignment of the blade-drive belt on the Main deck pulley.

Thanks!
See less See more
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.