My Tractor Forum banner
  • We have a new contest celebrating your backyard. Sponsored by Walmart, its your chance to win a $400 gift just in time for the 4th of July! HERE Contest Ends on the 30th.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello. I have been reading posts and sucking up the great knowledge shared at this site. Below are pics of my new 2305 with several mods suggested by users on this site. THANK YOU!

Finished Tractor
- Have Harbor Freight wide quick hitch (Needed wide due to older JD back blade)
- Reqired and bolted turn signal lights to inside of ROPS. Thankfully, since I've brushed branches several times already!

Hooks bolted to loader (From Menards: $9 each)

Ballast box: Reese hitch (From TSC $32). I have a hook, trailer loop, & 1 7/8" & 2" balls
Filled with sand because I want to be able to modify it later if needed.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
My chain storage tube (parts from Menards: about $7).

My woods and a small path I've started clearing with the 2305.

My ROPS lights (from Wal-Mart: $15)
Switch is bolted next to diff lock lever. Used a relay from Radio Shack with dedicated fuse and wire to battery. Used existing harness at rear of tractor to trip the relay so that the lights turn on and off with the headlights. I also used rubber bushings so that the lights can be faced to the rear.

Thanks again everyone for sharing ideas!

·
16,883 Posts
Good useage!! and ideas--no matter whom or where they come from--

·
Retired and Busy!
10,175 Posts
Phoenix125

That is a fine looking JD2305 and thanks for sharing the pics for all to enjoy and learn from. We never get tired of seeing how members use and customize their machines. You have done a very nice job. :fing32:

·
Registered
718 Posts
Gratz man, looks good. I like the modifications you made. I hope to get started on my mods as soon as I get some the the yard work finished.

·
Great Site Good People
6,659 Posts
Phoenix125

That is a fine looking JD2305 and thanks for sharing the pics for all to enjoy and learn from. We never get tired of seeing how members use and customize their machines. You have done a very nice job. :fing32:
:ditto: :ditto: I really like the chain storage mod. Looks great!

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
:congrats: slkpk

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Thanks for your comments. Yes, I found that the small mover's dolly ($10 from Harbor Freight) under the ballast box makes it alot easier to attach (and keep the garage organized).

I have found that I need a third hook in the center of the front bucket. I'm afraid to put much weight on only one side of the bucket: don't want to warp the loader arms. I need to buy adequate steel support first, though. I would hate to buckle the bucket in the middle. Also, I used clear caulk around everything I drilled/attached to help prevent rust.

I plan to paint all scratches / exposed metal as soon as I can park the tractor for a day and not use it. It's hard to leave it alone. So much work to be done (and I'm addicted!).

I was also one of those who originally thought he'd save a few bucks and wait on getting the ballast box, but after reading advice here, I opted to buy it. I am SO glad I did!

Pic of ROPS switch

This tractor is amazing. I have easily cleared 3" to 5" trees using the front loader only. Also, I was able to remove the loader in only 3 minutes (it'll only take 1-2 mins next time) and the 54" mower deck took 5 minutes (next time, probably 2-3 mins). I use another mover's dolly cart under one side of the mower deck to assist moving it around... thinking of getting another for the other side of the mower deck.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
does your deck not have the rotatable wheel? if so no need for the dolly.
Thanks for the reply.

I rotate the wheels to get it out from under the tractor, but to move it out of the way in the garage was too much work. I may mod the mover's dolly and make a storage rack for it like others here have done (Mayor started it, I believe, if memory serves me right).

·
JD RULES
1,026 Posts
Hi Phoenix125 , :Welcome1: !!!

Congratulations on the new work ride , looks great , thanks for all the pictures ...

Later,x595

·
Just passing through
8,422 Posts
Nice ideas...

But be careful when using the hitch attached to your ballast box to tow...make sure you do NOT raise your 3PH ABOVE JD's normal towbar height...or you will change your towing CG rapidly...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
But be careful when using the hitch attached to your ballast box to tow...make sure you do NOT raise your 3PH ABOVE JD's normal towbar height...or you will change your towing CG rapidly...:rolleyes:
Thanks for the advice! I'll have to be careful to have very little tongue weight, too.

·
Just passing through
8,422 Posts
Thanks for the advice! I'll have to be careful to have very little tongue weight, too.
When towing something large...stay on the flat and FILL YOUR FEL BUCKET with GRAVEL...;)

AND hang suitcase weights TOO...:sidelaugh

·
myyyy preciousssss!
402 Posts
Nice work, its fascinating to see how everyone customises their own machines. You may want to strengthen your bucket hooks at either side also with some plate steel. I've lifted things with mine that I never thought I would, and I'm pleased I strengthened the holes.

10.JPG

12.JPG

1 - 20 of 31 Posts