My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been searching for 4 whole years for a 140, and after getting the offer to pick this one up, I just HAD to jump on it. We got it on Friday, just before another buyer came on Sunday to pick it up. We ended up bringing it home, along with a set of 212 side panels and a 300 carcass. We of course forgot our straps and had only one to strap down: The 140s hood, 212 side panels, 300 fenders, 140 fuel tank, 140, and the 300. We managed to get home safely and nothing was lost.

The 140 needs a new back tire, a motor, a new steering column, battery tray, and all the electrical. The hood is just sitting on the frame for now, but planning to have it mounted in the future. Luckily for me it sat in the original owner's sunroom after the motor went out but after 15 or so years of sitting in there he had to sell it, after which it sat outside under a tree, exposed to the sun. Luckily we got it only shortly after. The 140 is pretty much mint, having only faded paint, and a little bit of rust. All the dash components are either in bad shape or missing so everything's getting replaced. The paint IS original, just faded from sitting under a glass roof, and the rust is just from the battery and the little bit of sitting outside it did. The hood only has one crack on the front and a tiny chunk missing, and headlight panel has been impaled, but the rubber ring and wiring is still there. Other than that, this thing is completely unmolested.

20190518-131906.jpg

20190518-131900.jpg

20190518-140826.jpg

20190518-135414.jpg

20190518-143146.jpg

20190518-143436.jpg

The 300 is donating its H1.5 (there's 2 handles but only one set of front lines; there was a diverter valve), its steering, some of its hydro linkage parts, and the hydraulic caps. There isn't much other than that, but I am selling the mint dash on it.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So I took the steering column out of the 140 by just unbolting it then disassembling it from the bottom, then knocking the shaft out from the top. I tried putting the 300 column in but apparently the pittman arm nut is larger and it won't fit through the small hole in the column. I'm just saying screw and I'm just going to put a bearing and spacer in to replace the inside bolt and put the column in.
Because I can't currently fix the steering, I tried to take the H1 out to put the H2 in but that was a no go, the lines are all stuck together and I couldn't unscrew the bolts because the lines just wanted to twist with the bolts. The one line I found is nice and bent up from the PO trying to literally steal everything, wiring, hydraulics, engine, etc.
I then decided that, since i can't do anything i wanted to, I was just going to clean the tractor off. I was pleasantly surprised by the fact that the paint isn't faded, it's just got this white film of what I assume to be tree sap on it. This thing cleaned up nice, save for the hood, which has been repainted because all the paint's missing off the front.

·
Premium Member
8,343 Posts
Can't wait to see this project come along. Nice save!

Mike

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm honestly just gonna leave this thing original, other then the missing engine and the ruined seat. The paint cleaned up so dang good.

·
Registered
120 Posts
good luck I'll be following along as I just got a 1969 140 H1 myself its a running and working unit so I don't have more plans for it than to due just that for now anyway.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My 140 is going on hold until the 317 gets up and running, because it's got an axle seal ******* fluid, no wiring, and no motor. The 317 only has a wiring issue, and the fuel system needs hooked up.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, ol Larry finally has a motor. Can't believe that all the way back in 1997 the original K321 busted the camshaft and became a parts engine, but here we are, 22 years later. I just need to finish up the H2, get the steering box fixed, and the axle seal replaced to get him running.

Attachments

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
After struggling for a while I managed to get the H1 valve out. Luckily I've learned that if the line is turning with the nut it's usually stuck to the valve fitting, not the nut.
I need to partially disassemble the H2 valve to get the 90 degree fitting in, so I can put it in with only slight extra bending on the stock lines needed. The hole I need to drill should be easy, I just need to find a drill bit to fit and drill everything out.

Attachments

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Almost ready to run. Got oil and hydro fluid in the tractor, I got the hydraulic lines all tightened up and a temporary steering box in. Just need to find my solenoid and get the fuel tank in.

I do still need a real -30000 steering box.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yep. Unlike my 317 I actually got to work on the 140.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I had a 1969 140H1 it was the only model with "electronic ignition" which can be alittle quirkie Nice haul you'll be busy for awhile!!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What do you mean electronic ignition?

·
Registered
938 Posts
Mudrig, The electronic ignition was a special 3 wire stator, a small box called a trigger and a solid state coil. No points and they worked well...when they worked! I've never found too much info on troubleshooting the system. Most guys simply switch the engine over to a points ignition system for about $125 for parts, plus a couple of hours labor. Bob

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thought the engine needed rebuilt. I couldn't get it to run for the LIFE of me. Pulled the head off, found the piston is a bit loose, almost like it was rebuilt .010 over then they put the original piston back in. Looked deeper, I'd lost spark. Adjusted points again, and did everything, turns out brand new key switch somehow broke just sitting in the dash of our nice 140. Don't know how that happened. The ignition terminal only has power in the run position, so I'd lose spark when turning the motor over. Hooked it to a seperate switch for now. Also got my Ags on and axle seal replaced, it just needs broken in, I guess. Honestly don't know if I need 2 seals or not, there were 2 totally destroyed seals in there but one is clearly older than the other, and the parts catalog lists 2 in total, or 1 for each side. Serial is 021420.
Larry is my ugly duckling, that's for sure.
Good to learn my carb seems to have fuel flow out, it just needs adjusted and new gas put in.

Attachments

·
Registered
120 Posts
so Larry now runs? Does Larry move under his own power as well?

good job getting him running!
It seems so simple afterwards but the during process can make you pull your hair out at times!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Not yet, but close. He should just need carb adjustments and good gas. Might also need to shorten the fuel line. But the transmission does work, and he's slightly creepy.

·
Registered
120 Posts
when you fix the creep post up pics so I can fix mine in 1/2 the time!

creep forward or backwards? Mine is forward.

I just need to find time to get it in the shop and take fender pan off to adjust.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts