My Tractor Forum banner

21 - 40 of 480 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Deck and tractor looks great! I wish I had an 18 like that!

·
Registered
190 Posts
When you put chains on the tires let the air out of them first. Now you can get the chains on real tight when you air them up again, and you won't need the spring tensioners and the cross links will be sung to the tread and won't bang on the inside of the seat pan or it the engine. I take the tires off the tractor and put them on my bench.

G

·
Premium Member
3,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Good tip, I had forgotten that. I think it will be a snowdozer and chains this winter....

I pulled off the engine shroud to check for crud in there, and either the motor has an oil leak on top, or the PO just spilled oil everywhere whenever he changed it. The left head has caked oil/grime/grass in almost every nook and cranny. I'm talking INCHES of oily crud. It even was pulled in behind the flywheel. It is fairly dry so I'm going to try blowing it out with compressed air. The stuff on the fins is still oily so I'll hit it with some more degreaser. Pics to follow.

Planning tomorrow to fix the play in the steering (about 6 inches right now) and to see if I can get the shift levers to move a little easier.

We got the mower deck upright tonight and it looks great, just need to clean out the caked on grass. No rust or anything. Checked over the gearbox and spindles and everything is tight. Just about ready to out it into storage.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Man, I got a sweet 48" blower + front drive kit up for grabs and it would look **** nice in front of machine! If you were closer to MA/CT/NY I'd give you a killer deal on it.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Actually you want the chains a little loose so the snow will clean out of them if you put them on tight they just pack with snow and don't do anything!!!

·
Premium Member
3,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Man, I got a sweet 48" blower + front drive kit up for grabs and it would look **** nice in front of machine! If you were closer to MA/CT/NY I'd give you a killer deal on it.
I'll be in MA the end of December and would definitely be interested in it.

·
Premium Member
3,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Pics of the gunked-up motor. I'm still hoping this is just from the PO being messy, but we will see.

Underside of deck. Not bad for 16 years of use! I'm not going to bother undercoating it. I am completely bowled over by how ruggedly built this deck is.

·
Gravely bug bit.
8,735 Posts
Pics of the gunked-up motor. I'm still hoping this is just from the PO being messy, but we will see.

We've had tractors that were spotless come in and found crud like that built up on the cylinder. And no leaks. So you most likely will find it's caused by spilled oil over time.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
That motor will run a lot cooler when you get that cleaned up. That deck looks like it was used for only 1 season.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Yes take a deep breath and relax the tractor looks great and after the first mow it will get dirty again.:Stop: great job so far:trink39:

·
Premium Member
3,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Yes take a deep breath and relax the tractor looks great and after the first mow it will get dirty again.:Stop: great job so far:trink39:
lol it's been a hoot working on this tractor. The steering problem turned out to be one of the bolts holding the steering rack -it had loosened up and was shredded. Replaced the bolt (and de-gunked the rack) and the steering is nice and tight now. Changed the tranny oil yesterday and I have a hydro filter on order from Jack's. The clutches need some adjustment and I would like the gear shift to move a little more smoothly. I can shift into 4H now but it won't move going up an incline. The other gears are fine. (4H is just stupid-fast BTW, useless for anything except maybe outrunning other tractors).

Just about ready for some "after" pics and then I can turn my attention to this really worse-for-wear snowdozer that I picked up this past weekend.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
yeah my 20G is the same way in 4th it seems to slip on an incline but on flat ground it goes great.

·
Premium Member
3,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Mostly cleaned up now. I'll leave the rest of the cosmetics for the spring...

I've gotten most of the replacement fasteners for the Snowdozer and with any luck I'll get it cleaned up and painted in the next few weeks.

·
Premium Member
3,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
why is there a hole in the back of the air filter cover? Looks like there should be a hose connected.
From what I can tell that is standard for that vintage, and yes, the manual for the motor itself does show that a pipe can be attached for a remote air intake....

21 - 40 of 480 Posts