My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heres my mudding monster. currently have the rear end out for cleaning/painting and changing oil. *40 y/o tractor, never had the oil changed in the tranny :X* got it from the original owner for 60 bucks two years ago, and from there on its been a goal to get it above 20 mph. anyways, pics.

Heres when we bought it.

And here it is in its current state.

FYI, thats the hitch plate sitting on top of the frame where the seat should be. we took the seat off to take the rear end out. Anyways enjoy!

·
Addicted To Tractors
194 Posts
Looks sweet, That will be heavy to get unstuck! Winch? Well atleast the motor can be running with you off the seat to push it, not like the stupid new seat switches. But then again, With a sears, who says you will get stuck? Lol

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
its been stuck a couple times, 2 or 3 times so stuck we left it there for a few days till the mud dried up xD

·
Addicted To Tractors
194 Posts
Are you just going to use the stock tires?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, we plan on getting some vtreads but money is a virtue with no job.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
That looks much like one I just parted out. That has a good trans with the splined axles.

That was a yellow 16/6 by the looks of it. Around 77 is the year.

Glad your having fun with the old gril. I let my son beat one around the woods for a couple years.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I have one question. Where is the high low lever? it is in the second picture but not in the gear box photos.

If you want speed you need to get a small pulley on the gearbox. I would think a 3" on the gearbox and a 3-4" on the engine would give great speed in high and still have plenty of pulling power in mud in low range.

Low is ridiculously low anyway.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
I have one question. Where is the high low lever? it is in the second picture but not in the gear box photos.

If you want speed you need to get a small pulley on the gearbox. I would think a 3" on the gearbox and a 3-4" on the engine would give great speed in high and still have plenty of pulling power in mud in low range.

Low is ridiculously low anyway.

It's hanging from the tractor in photo 6. In photo 7 you can see where it hooks right above one of the mounting bolts.

·
15,000 +posts!
20,401 Posts
Sounds like your having fun!...cant wait to see what its like when your done with it!..

I'd put car rims with a 5 lug 4.5" bolt pattern and larger tires on it..(probably need to enlarge the center holes on the rims to get them to fit )
some 33" truck tires would gear it up pretty good without changing pulleys or belt sizes,and give 10" more ground clearence..larger front tires can be added too,to level it out so it wont be "raked" too much..

I agree the low range is ridiculously "low",but at times you need that creeping speed and pulling power in tight quarters towing heavy loads around..what is nice about that,is adding large tires doesn't kill its ability to be used as a tractor still,just shift into low range and its a tractor again!..:D

This thread reminds me of the past week,removing and installing my '68 rban 12's tranny!..makes my back ache just looking at the transaxle in this post and Small Fry's "dissection" post!..

Today I put the clutch bracket/battery tray from the SS-16
I parted,onto the '67 SS-12 and it fit perfect,just had to drill two holes...
I might use an 8 or 10 HP Tecumseh I have on a homebuilt that I never use and didn't really "finish" 100% on it,its only recoil start though,and I'll have to mount the gas tank where the battery normally would have been on the SS-16,but thats no biggie..

I figured I might as well save the SS-12,seeing not many parts were missing,and since I had them off the SS-16 to swipe,why not have THREE running Suburbans?..I might be too sore to drive any of them by the time I get all of them fixed though..lying under tractors and then sitting at the computer for hours while it RAINS and RAINS is wrecking my spine..:mad:..

then the monsoon started again,so its back under the tarp till the rain stops..I'm thinking of making this one into a woods beater/racer,by adding car rims and tires and maybe some 12" trailer tires up front,using 4 bolt trailer hubs bushed down from 1" to 3/4" to fit the stock spindles..
but I might just leave it stock too,and make myself a 3 wheeler out of some other leftover transaxles and parts I've had collecting dust far too long..

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
i took the engine off just a second ago, havent even washed my hands yet xD. but anyways i got the oil back in the tranny and would be back in by now but my gf and her mom is here so now time right now. only reason i took the motor off right now is because there busy with a board game so i figered why not. anyways no pics right now but i will update yall with some pics sometime tomorrow. and also good news, i just emailed a guy about a st-10 on craigslist to see if he can hold onto it till i scrounge up $100 to buy it. so hopefully there will be another one added to my small collection soon! :i_praying

EDIT: Oops, sorry forgot to answer some of yalls questions.

"I have one question. Where is the high low lever? it is in the second picture but not in the gear box photos." The high/low lever is there. just read the post below yours. :)

"If you want speed you need to get a small pulley on the gearbox. I would think a 3" on the gearbox and a 3-4" on the engine would give great speed in high and still have plenty of pulling power in mud in low range." We know how to change the speed, thanks anyways. and we allready have bigger tires on the front. in the photo we just threw on one of the original tires cuz that one was flat and my couzin wanted to ride it. the only reason we havent made it faster is money. and my couzin who loves to ride it doesnt like going past 1st low or he gets scared on it. *he's only 5 dont laugh.* but anyways, i made 25$ the other day mowing my neighbors yard but i had to pay my mom for taking me to the movies and i said id pay for me. and then i spent the rest on oil/degreaser so i just threw that 25$ out the window. but i do it every week so i should be able to buy that mower i talked about above in the next month. so im out for now seeing my girlfriend is looking for me now, so ill takes some pics tomorrow.

EDIT2: [email protected]#! i just walked outside and looked at the carb, and seen the gasket for that was wacked also. i guess ill try making one out of duct tape. ill give yall news on how that goes when i get around to trying it.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got the tranny back in today. It rolls and shifts gears ALOT easier now. we didnt change the pulleys due to money...but we got it back in anyways and its too wet outside now to try and take the engine apart and clean it up...so i guess im done with it for today. so peace.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Best gasket for a carb to engine mount is cardboard from a cereal box. Just cut a diamond shape a little bigger than you need.

Set it against the engine and lightly tap with a ballpean hammer at the bolt holes and edge of the intake port. it will "dent" the cardboard so you can cut it exactly as needed. you don't even need silicone gasket sealer with it. it works fine as just cardboard.

·
15,000 +posts!
20,401 Posts
I've used tarpaper for gaskets too in a pinch,works great but it is a bit difficult to scrape off "next time"..I've also used the cardboard that Fel-Pro gaskets come packaged in too--waste not,want not,I always say!..I use the ball pein hammer method a lot too,to "cut" gaskets..I see the price of RTV is skyrocketing since I last bought any long ago--7.99 a tube???..:eek:
I'm going to have to see if the swap meet guys have any for 3 bucks still that isn't hard in the tube already!..

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well, i just talked to the guy about the st-10 tractor, he said first one that comes and gets it its theres. so that means i need to figure out how to make a hundred bucks QUICK...in other news we just tore apart a old 6.1/4 hp kohler motor and ill pics of that in a bit.

·
Has anyone seen ChimChim?
6,553 Posts
The phone book has saved me many times.. front and back glossy laminated paper makes great jug gaskets for ATV's :)

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
still havent had a chance to run it. Took the flywheel off yesterday and discovered the flywheel key sheered in 4 pieces. xD Luckily they only cost 1.28...this aint the first time its happend lol.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Sweet mower, I'm building up a WH 212-6 for some trail riding at the moment.
You should definitely get some super lugs for it once you get the money, thats what i've been looking for, but I'm pretty broke.

·
Registered
392 Posts
SS16 and Kaptain Krunch. I know how hard it is to come up with cash. Honestly though I think having money really takes away from the fun. I think it's fun finding way's to solve problems for cheaper and easier.

I love scavaging. There's a dump in a small town that is only open on saturday until 2pm. It's totaly unattended with easy access. I've found a great deal of throwaway's. Most recent was a "LIKE" brand new snowblower for a 3 wheel walk behind gravely.

I also found this for cheap just before going into a crusher at the scrap yard.

Neccesity is the mother of invention but ingenuity is the father of the industrial revolution. I can mke this better........

Please keep posting about your projects and ideas.:thanku:

·
Registered
185 Posts
Scavenging is definitely my thing, but around here, its getting harder and harder. None of the junkyards let you get your own parts anymore because of liability. Right now i have about $25 into mine, that includes the cost of the mower paint, and bondo the make the hood scoop look better. That hood scoop is actually made out of a washing machine lid that i cut up, looks pretty good. Anyways, i'll probably make my own thread when i get back to building this thing.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Too much money where you can just throw together a perfect mower in a weekend spoils the fun. but enough money you can buy the needed parts when needed, but not enough money to buy whatever the **** you want, that can benefit intensely.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts