My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Super Moderator
29,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I will be retiring from my IT Director position in January and beginning work for a new company as an IT consultant. So I decided to gift myself a new laptop to get ready for my new role. I may be getting old but it doesn't mean I can't have new toys!! :tango_face_devil:

Attachments

·
5,095 Posts
Kind of nice looking ...is that one of those Lenovo computers?

·
We're all friends here
14,338 Posts
Nice looking laptop, Tim. You will like the lighted keyboard if you've never used one. Mark, Alienware is a subsidiary of Dell.

·
Super Moderator
29,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I expect it will be my "last" new computer so I splurged a bit. I could have gone up one more level but I'd have had to sell the 322 and all the attachments just to afford it! :sidelaugh

·
5,095 Posts
I knew that PA318guy was a computer guy...I thought Alienware on the screen was something that he came up with...I guess I am letting on how tech unsavvy I am...give me nuts and bolts....something to check the oil and put fuel into :tango_face_wink:

·
We're all friends here
14,338 Posts
I expect it will be my "last" new computer so I splurged a bit. I could have gone up one more level but I'd have had to sell the 322 and all the attachments just to afford it! :sidelaugh
Yes, the prices on some laptops are crazy. $1000 and up for the "gamers" computers. My son showed me an Alienware laptop that weighs 17 lbs. and costs $10K! A very expensive boat anchor. No, he didn't buy it.

Good luck with the new job. :fing32:

·
Parts collector
3,442 Posts
I have no clue what I was looking at................ LOL................. :tango_face_grin:

·
Super Moderator
29,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, if you really want to spend money on machines go to FalconNorthwest.com and check those out. This was expensive and more than I would normally spend, but with luck and one good job as consultant it should be paid for!

2,725 Posts
Congratulations on your retirement. Now if your going to be doing some part time work and they give you a 1099, then you can write off that laptop on your taxes as a business expense because you would be an independent consultant or self employed.

I'm on my 6th desktop and my wife is probably on her 5th or 6th laptop. They last only about 5 years. We probably went through just as many all in one printers. We both have notebooks we don't use and we both have S9 phones that we always use.

·
Super Moderator
29,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yep, won't be my first "consultant" gig, I moonlighted a bit when I first was with the county and was able to deduct my printer and computer. But I shut that down as it wasn't headed in the direction I wanted. Too many people needed computers fixed and not enough businesses wanted multi-year IT planning! Fortunately the work will be from home with minor travel and the HQ is in Ft. Lauderdale so I see some winter main office planning sessions in my future!!:tango_face_grin:

·
Banned
13 Posts
Your laptop is powerful and enough for working. I have similar one too. Now I work on my online project. I have some idea about my future business project but I do not know how it will be work. So I want to try idea validation app on https://spdload.com/blog/idea-validation/ I heard that 9 out of 10 startups fail precisely because neither the market nor customers need their ideas.

·
Super Moderator
29,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks, it should be powerful enough to run any current applications to include geographical systems and video processing which is what I may be doing some of.

Good luck with your idea validation.

·
Premium Member
10,400 Posts
I also did a computer upgrade recently. I went to a powerful gaming computer for my phot editing and truck game I play since getting hurt. Its crazy looking! It is very powerful compared to my HP. I have to learn how to use its power and storage.

·
Super Moderator
29,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My son just upgraded his PC to a powerful AMD Ryzen setup 16 cores, with water cooling for gaming with a couple of SSD's and running NVIDIA 1080 GPU. This Alienware will be my last machine I expect so I splurged a bit on it.

·
Parts collector
3,442 Posts
I also did a computer upgrade recently. I went to a powerful gaming computer for my phot editing and truck game I play since getting hurt. Its crazy looking! It is very powerful compared to my HP. I have to learn how to use its power and storage.
My son just upgraded his PC to a powerful AMD Ryzen setup 16 cores, with water cooling for gaming with a couple of SSD's and running NVIDIA 1080 GPU. This Alienware will be my last machine I expect so I splurged a bit on it.
That's just ridiculous! :tango_face_surprise

You guys have a problem. I thought my truck and tractor problem was costly but not anymore............. :tango_face_devil:

·
Super Moderator
29,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My sister told me the same thing, I asked her how much her 4 horses cost, tackle, horse trailer, horse barn, shoeing, and food and could she make a living with them? She's never said anything to me about my computers since.

·
Parts collector
3,442 Posts
My sister told me the same thing, I asked her how much her 4 horses cost, tackle, horse trailer, horse barn, shoeing, and food and could she make a living with them? She's never said anything to me about my computers since.
:sidelaugh

·
Super Moderator
29,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Can't wait to see the difference in video rendering with it, should really speed things up. Takes about 5 - 7 minutes just for my current system to bring up the video software. Should save me a ton of time doing videos!

·
Premium Member
10,400 Posts
This has 2 SSD and a 2TB Hard drive for storage. Sure does good with my pictures!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts