My Tractor Forum banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
So the Titan dump box didn’t work out...
This was the first load.

F58A11E2-6380-4420-AB08-87436741E9DB.jpeg

9AD7049F-6D1D-44C0-B402-2CBFCF0B0132.jpeg

Now, keep in mind, this box is marketed for moving material. They do not give a weight capacity, but the description specifically states that it’s perfect for moving dirt rocks and firewood.

Obviously, dirt or rocks would be way more heavy than the load of wood I had in it.

Anyway, this is the result of driving down from the field with that first load.

EAE1C883-FCB6-4E3B-91E6-C0AF97138A67.jpeg

That 3 point frame used to be straight. As seen here.

9B62F4B2-9BE0-4C3B-A75A-A0EBE7E0EB14.jpeg

I was waiting to see how Titan would handle this before I said anything. I filed a warranty claim immediately. It took a couple of days to hear back. But, they were willing to pay for a local welder to fix it, or send me a new one. I opted to get a new one.

This is a video of the new bucket before I took it apart and started to rebuild it.

As you can see, the 3 point frame is so weak, that it can’t really even support its own weight. Let alone a load of DIRT!

Here’s what I did. I know it’s a bit overkill, but the M5700’s 3 point is rated for 2,800 lbs and change. It’s not going to notice the extra weight. That, and I know they aren’t going to send me another new one after this... I wasn’t messing around.

How I recieved them. It’s 3/8 wall, but not reinforced at all. Well, there is that plate in the lower corners, but it’s bracing in the wrong direction...
4FF7C8AC-E5E6-44E6-850F-2E3D8341EC82.jpeg

Adding steel. Everything I added is 1/4” wall

B32219BC-39A3-4B60-9C8A-C04A26DAFDEF.jpeg

5E5B1AA9-7817-49B2-A228-126116077FD0.jpeg

66EE42E1-8E63-4E2A-8DC7-845A6370D515.jpeg

65C40CC2-CFA4-438F-AA99-1BD210D9373C.jpeg

5C6C7C79-FD5F-4FD6-A238-89D287A87EF4.jpeg

·
Premium Member
3,088 Posts
Did you consider strengthening the front of the box a bit, then bolting it to the mount at the top as well, to use the box as part of the bracing as well?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
OK, I suppose it might get annoying to have to keep inserting/removing bolts to use the dump feature...
It would defeat the purpose of paying extra for the hydraulic dump lol.

Speaking of which, the piston that they used dumped that load of wood that bent the three point like the box was empty.

They really just dropped the ball on the 3 point frame. Big time. Everyone they sell must bend.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I'm interested to see how much flex you have in the upright now. I like the vertical angle iron run up the center. If it still has some flex maybe add one piece of angle iron to each side in between the outboard sides and center piece. I honestly can't believe they let that out the door like that. It wouldn't be hard to engineer a reasonable amount of strength into that upright. Oh well it's better than it was but it is disappointing a lack of proper engineering.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #48 (Edited)
I'm interested to see how much flex you have in the upright now. I like the vertical angle iron run up the center. If it still has some flex maybe add one piece of angle iron to each side in between the outboard sides and center piece. I honestly can't believe they let that out the door like that. It wouldn't be hard to engineer a reasonable amount of strength into that upright. Oh well it's better than it was but it is disappointing a lack of proper engineering.
We will see in the morning. I’m going to put it back together and go get a load of wood from the field.

I was actually going to add two more vertical supports as you said, but the 3 point frame was also not built square and it’s twisted. There is too big a gap to fill if you lay a bar across if you move from center. I was too lazy to plasma out some plate to fill the gaps. I had to fill some pretty good gaps already as it was.

Even though their customer service was good, I don’t believe I’ll be buying anything from Titan again.

Besides the ridiculously weak 3 point frame, there are some really ugly welds on these things.

My ugliest weld on here is considerably better looking than their prettiest weld. And I’m a truck driver, not a welder...

·
Premium Member
3,088 Posts
You might consider using some of the space between the attachment and the rear of the tractor (in the middle of that empty area around where the 3 hitch connecting points are.

Perhaps some square tubing welded to the bottom of the platform, sticking out say, 8-10" or so, then from the end of the tubing up to the top hitch point.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
You might consider using some of the space between the attachment and the rear of the tractor (in the middle of that empty area around where the 3 hitch connecting points are.

Perhaps some square tubing welded to the bottom of the platform, sticking out say, 8-10" or so, then from the end of the tubing up to the top hitch point.
That was my original plan actually. Then I realized that it would interfere with my drawbar whenever I lowered the dump box.

I’ve been using the draw bar to pull trees down from the base that get hung up in other trees.

I don’t want to keep taking it off and putting it on.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
That’s better. Doesn’t budge now. Measured empty, full, and again full after driving down from from the field. It didn’t move at all.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
The next weak link may soon rear it’s ugly head. The bending 3pt part was acting like a shock absorber, cushioning the rest of the structure from sharp movements and vibration. Keep an eye on it.

Nice fab skills, BTW!
Thank you sir. I only started welding a couple of years ago. I’ve always been a gear head, but never learned to weld.

A couple of the friends that I made though off roading were really good fabricators. Watching them work made me want to buy my first welder. A Hobart Handler 140.

I went right to work building an off road trailer out of a 60s Sears Luggage trailer that we towed out to Moab UT, ran the Kokopelli trail with it, lived in it (on top of it anyway) for a week, and towed it back home. After that, I was hooked. I wish I’d done it years ago.

I’ll put up some pics if anyone is interested. I guess one cannot hijack ones own thread :unsure:

As far as the dump box goes. I tried to anticipate the next weakest link. Thus the gussets and extra rails on the bottom. But time will tell I suppose.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts