My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I called my local Rim Guard people they told me put the stuff in tires in the 20110 Zip area.

I told them what I had, which was a Garden Tractor style rims. 23x10.5x12 rears, and 18x8.5x8" fronts, (which are small) .

He couldn't really give me a price, between $125-150 he thought, and that comes out to about $6.80 or more a gallon.

Sounded like he didn't want to do it, and said they were kind of looking for some new stuff to put in tires, as either they thought it was a lot of work, messy, or some reason.

I have heard nothing but good results with it, and wish I could find some other place local that wanted to work with me.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I think I called the same place in Manassas, Va today. I was quoted $100 to fill 2 26x12x12 tires.

Does RimGaurd have any control over what the dealers charge?

·
22,004 Posts
I think I called the same place in Manassas, Va today. I was quoted $100 to fill 2 26x12x12 tires.

That's not a bad price, if the dealer pumps the fluid in for a better fill level and changes the tire valves for the metal variety like he's supposed to.

I get 12 gallons of fluid in each 26x12-12 turf tire. I also take the bathroom scales to ensure that I get the proper weight.

·
Registered
31 Posts
That is the installed price but I am not sure it includes new valve stems. Does anybody have a picture of the proper metal valve stems for garden tractor wheels?

Thanks
Jason

·
not quins. but sextuplets
15,241 Posts
That is the installed price but I am not sure it includes new valve stems. Does anybody have a picture of the proper metal valve stems for garden tractor wheels?

Thanks
Jason
go to the miller tire site who is a sponser on here.. they sell the all metal valve stems for Rim Guard

·
15,241 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's not a bad price, if the dealer pumps the fluid in for a better fill level and changes the tire valves for the metal variety like he's supposed to.

I get 12 gallons of fluid in each 26x12-12 turf tire. I also take the bathroom scales to ensure that I get the proper weight.
I asked them about the valve stems, and if I should put metal ones in, since they would be new tires, and they said it wouldn't matter, (so I guess they haven't read what the Rim Guard site says)

And I am pretty sure that is for nothing but filling the tires, nothing else.

I have never had very good luck going to that dealer, heck they won't even come out and talk to you if you are looking around at tractors.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Do drop me a note and tell me if you find anymore out.

I have some of the metal valve stems, but they are not the big mouth ones like the photo from Millers. I think the main reason they were having the problems with the rubber ones was that the glue was coming loose inside where the brass was in recent years.

·
15,241 Posts
Do drop me a note and tell me if you find anymore out.

I have some of the metal valve stems, but they are not the big mouth ones like the photo from Millers. I think the main reason they were having the problems with the rubber ones was that the glue was coming loose inside where the brass was in recent years.
yup... they used a water based glue on the 'pop' in tubless valve stems.. I load my own Rim Guard in my tires.. the water adapter that Miller sells will hook up to both sizes of valve stems..

I buy the Rim Guard in bulk form from my dealer.. I supply the barrels that he fills up.. costs me about 3$$ a gal then..

·
Registered
31 Posts
I called them back to ask if they would sell it by the gallon. They said no.

I then called the next closest dealer, McCarthy Tire in Hughesville, MD. They quoted me $88 to fill my tires. They also said they would sell it by the gallon for $3.60/gal. The problem is they are prolly 3 hours away from my house.

I guess I should feel lucky there is a dealer less than hour from home. I am sure there are people that don't have a dealer for hundreds of miles.

Regards,
Jason

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I called them back to ask if they would sell it by the gallon. They said no.

I then called the next closest dealer, McCarthy Tire in Hughesville, MD. They quoted me $88 to fill my tires. They also said they would sell it by the gallon for $3.60/gal. The problem is they are prolly 3 hours away from my house.

I guess I should feel lucky there is a dealer less than hour from home. I am sure there are people that don't have a dealer for hundreds of miles.

Regards,
Jason
That is what I figured about Byrd. As I said before, they have been no help on things when I went down there before.

I talked to the local McCarthy dealer and he asked my name a few weeks ago, as he said I had been the second person to call about the Rim Gaurd. He said let him go check, and he said he could help me with it, and I asked the price, and he said we could work with me.

From what I have heard, they don't use Rim Gaurd, so I will go see what they really do fill them with.

·
Registered
31 Posts
That is what I figured about Byrd. As I said before, they have been no help on things when I went down there before.

I talked to the local McCarthy dealer and he asked my name a few weeks ago, as he said I had been the second person to call about the Rim Gaurd. He said let him go check, and he said he could help me with it, and I asked the price, and he said we could work with me.

From what I have heard, they don't use Rim Gaurd, so I will go see what they really do fill them with.
That is interesting. Let me know what you find out.

Thanks,
Jason

·
MTF mile high club member
5,919 Posts
Just a quick update on the local RG pricing around here: the last time I had tires filled, from a dealer that's about 45 minutes away, the cost was $3 per gallon (installed); I called them back this time around and they went up in price to $3.50 per gallon (installed) plus a $40 pump fee (one fee for 4 tires); when I asked why that was (and if it applied to small tires, too), all he said was that the other RG dealer was charging that (so they figured they would match it). Now I'll be visiting a different dealer (about an hour in the other direction) since they're just $3.50 installed.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
FYI - a good dealer should charge the fluid at one cost and labor at another. Most will break the bead and dump it in that way. Little tires labor wise take about the same as a larger tire.

You NEED metal valve stems. I can tell you NOT to use power pac of Marshfield WI. They "never" have had a valve stem fail on them with Rimgaurd. I am sure they are still saying that after I handed them my valve stems and they wouldn't even replace my stems much less the labor to fix the front tires for me (had I known-I would have just dumped the fronts out and called it a day-not worth the 20 per tire up front for the price).

My cores were bad enough after just one year I went to check tire pressure-and the core came with the cap.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts