My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Deceased, April 2015
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started out the year with among other LB's, a 5247. Then I acquired a beautiful 7268 deck with no engine. The 5247 donated its engine to the 7268 and all was well. I also had a S21ZPN early '90's 21 inch with the F engine. Wanting to get the 5247 going again because it's just so light, I appropriated the S21's engine and transplanted it onto the 5247. Mounted the throttle quadrant onto the chrome loop handle and I'm in business!

Because of the pivoting of the handle, the recoil unit was jingling each time I'd move the handle up and down. So, I had to lose the zone handlebar starting feature. It now starts just like a mower should - at the shroud.

One of my inspirations has always been Ed Heinemann. He was a designer for Douglas Aircraft. A sign on his office wall read "Simplicate and Add Lightness". Don't make anything more complex than it need be and make it as light as possible. The philosophy served him well. Among other Heinemann designs was the A-4 Skyhawk carrier based attack aircraft. It was small enough that it didn't need folding wings. It came in under 10,000 pounds and could carry a bomb load nearly equivalent to it's own weight!

My own quest with this mower is to have a machine that's simple, reliable, very light and cuts well. I think I've hit the mark on all four with this hybrid.

Pictures to follow.

Charlie

·
Registered
36 Posts
All your reasons are why i like the 7351 the best. It is so light and simple no need for self propelled. It has the best carb a lawn-boy can have and great power. I like the throttle control near the pull though -no bending - although I agree this is the weak point of this mower (plastic cogs and gears). I will keep this mower going as long as I can and I have 15 lawn-boys for parts which should be a very long time. I really think everything was better before toro got to messing with things. And after battling with a toro carb with a non replaceable rubber seat I know it was better.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts