My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Howdy folks,

I managed to liberate a lawnboy 8253 from a lot next door. This land is about half an acre with a shed and a pile of junk on it. Since I moved in here 4 months ago, I was seeing a green lawn mower on it's side, leaning up against the shed. I finally saw the owner last weekend cutting the grass on his lot. He lives about a mile away and just chucks junk on this lot. Well, anyway, he gave the mower to me when I discovered it to be a lawnboy. When I asked him why it was just discarded, he (of course) blamed it on the reliable standby we all have: "The dumb brother in-law." :00000060: I think we all have one of them, even if we weren't married, so I won't hold it against him.

I really hope I don't offend anyone here. I'm originally from the mid-west and Lawn-Boys were everywhere. People took care of them and their grass. But ever since I've been living in the south, I've noticed very few people even know what a Lawn-Boy is. The common repair technique employed down here (after duct tape and wire has been used and failed) is to go to Walmart for another mower. So, finding this machine the way I did is no surprise. I'm just amazed it was a lawnboy. Forgive me if I've offended anyone. I'm just excited to find a group of folks who give a rip.

Anyway, as you can see by the pics, I have a little work to do. I'm just curious about the engine. The Lawn-Boy service manual (1950-88) said the D400 series engine is on these. But after removing the flywheel, I see the ignition system doesn't have half the stuff the 400 series is supposed to have. Is this a hybrid version of an ignition system between different models? Or am I just a box of rocks?

In case anyone's wondering, I'm (obviously) not a small engine repairman. I do have quite a maintenance background, but not mowers and small engines. I enjoy things of a higher quality. Things that are repairable and last 20 or 30 years. I don't like our throw-away society. I'm a huge believer of a free market economy, but don't want to be the guy who's always buying the same things over, time and time again. I have a 1999 Silver Pro which is it's own challenge as well. I'm hoping this will be my replacement for it.

Well, what do you all think? No, the handle isn't present either. I'll hit the old guy up for it later. It may be in his shed, or under it, or somewhere around there, but I may be needing it eventually

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Above: I guess they ran over something, causing it to stall and feel frozen-up, therefore throwing the "walmart effect" into play and bannishing said mower to a permanent "stress" position against the shed wall.

[/IMG]

Above: This doesn't match the textbook description of the D400 series ignition assembly.

[/IMG]

This looks like the textbook said dual element coil, but where's the other stuff like condenser, points and flyweight?

[/IMG]

The filter crumbled apart in my fingers once it met fresh air.

There's other pics in my album. Hope these show up.

·
Premium Member
5,415 Posts
Cool find :fing32: What's the plan just get it running and cleaned up or a full resto?

·
4K Poster!!!!
5,083 Posts
Ok went to the MTF phone app and now I can view the pics and I think you have a winner. Looks like a good cleaning, and maybe a new decal she will be lookin great. Trust me when I tell you that we have seen much worse.

Sent from the MTF Free App

·
2 Strokes Rule EPA Drools
405 Posts
The points and condensor are under that little metal cover around the crank.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
K91, why the tough question? I really don't have a plan yet. I'm too busy to have many plans. I'll probably get it running and replace my duraforce with it. The Durafoce isn't the worst mower out there, but I get the feeling LB didn't intend on that being a 20+ year machine, especially with the thin steel deck. If I get the 8253 running good, it'll probably last me a long time.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lawnboy77, thanks. I'm sure you've seen some bad stuff, but like I already said, I'm a little challenged with small engines. Don't get me wrong, I'm looking forward to it, but dread the "I told you so" from the wife if it's dead.

Lanboy-5247, thanks. Does anyone even make the parts that may be needed? I imagine something's going to be T.U.

Oh, can someone point me in the right direction for the handle assembly? This thing is just a deck and engine.

Thanks all.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's been going slow with me and this project. I don't get much time with all my daily tasks, and don't pedict any time until this weekend. However, I do have a question and favor:

Can anyone provide a good pic of how the pinion spring is supposed to mount to the starter pinion? Mine is missing and I just picked up a new one yesterday afternoon. I have the manual for these, but some of the instructions leave a lot to be desired as well as the pics in the book. I find it useful to go between the section on the D400 series and 600 series. Between the two I can get a better idea of things, but the pinion spring installation isn't computing in my head.

Someone PLEASE break this down in the simplest terms for me. I mean really simple!

Thanks all, you rock!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Lawnboy77,

Thanks a million! It must be something to rock like you!

I remember older tech manuals having the best graphics for explanations and assembly procedures, but this particular book really has a few issues. Of course considering the age of the basic hard book and possible number of times it's been scanned and digitized before it finally reached us via pdf, I can see how it's lost some of its charm. We know that MY copy is worse than everyone elses:thThumbsU

Here's a dumb one that will probably become obvious once I install it, but from the pic, I can't really tell what the thing's supposed to acieve. It's just "there." Ahh, never mind, it'll hit me eventually.

·
4K Poster!!!!
5,083 Posts
That spring holds the pinion gear stationary so that the spiral gear on the starter will kick it in and out to either disengage, or engage the flywheel teeth. Once you put it all back together and pull the starter handle you will be able to see and understand just how it works.:trink39:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Little weekly update on this thing. I pulled and cleaned up the carb. Unfortunately, it's one of their early plastic "Modular" carbs. You can't even get a rebuild kit for these. Hopefully it'll run the engine, even crappy, but run it anyway.

Now, before I started on the carb, I cleaned up the coil heels and flywheel magnets. I even slipped some crocus cloth between the point contacts to get the corrosion off. I saw spark at the plug, but now realize it's too weak to ignite anything. I guess I was just overly excited about the possibility of this coming together too easy. So, I'm pulling it apart again and 're-cleaning and 're-checking. Any ideas on what to look at specifically for a weak spark? I've searched and found plenty on "No spark" issues, but I do have spark, but you need the lights off to see it.

in humble adoration,
Me.

·
4K Poster!!!!
5,083 Posts
Might be a bad plug wire, and/or coil, my 5234 had weak spark and turned out to be a bad contact where the high tension lead entered the coil, it had arched so much over the years that it almost completely burned up the center electrode in the coil. It's kinda ashamed to since the windings of the coil were more than likely good, but the coil was still junk.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just to clarify, high tension lead is the plug wire? I pulled the cover and 're-gapped the coil to wheel and the spark seemed a bit stronger, but no light-off. I could be focusing too much on that spark. I imagine I'll take it apart and check the timing. Maybe I should have the first time, but I figured (me figuring, go figure...:drunkie: ) it would probably be good. Now that I think about it, this guy hit something, so that may have knocked it out of time at the magnito. Right? Anyone?

Seriously, I planned on taking it apart again. I didn't want to invest too much time in froo froo until I know it'll be cost effective to run. Then, budah willing, I'll make her pretty again.

·
4K Poster!!!!
5,083 Posts
Well I think you are on the right track, have you tried squirting some fuel mix directly in the cylinder to see if you get it to fire?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I thought of it a while ago, but didn't think it would help. I believe I'm drawing mix into the chamber now, but I could be wrong. I'm going to leave this thing alone for now and concentrate my efforts on my Duraforce surging. THAT'S turning my grey hair silver. I'll probably resume mid-week and look at the points and I'll probably try "helping" it along with your suggestion. Thanks. I'm open to anything.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts