My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator and over 6K Posts!
6,562 Posts
Very nice line up and I concur with the conclusion that the metal Walbro carb is better. I had replaced the plastic carb on my 10401 with the Walbro and what a difference. If it runs fine with the plastic carb then no worries. Bill

·
Registered
321 Posts
Very nice line up and I concur with the conclusion that the metal Walbro carb is better. I had replaced the plastic carb on my 10401 with the Walbro and what a difference. If it runs fine with the plastic carb then no worries. Bill
Agreed, the F series plastic carbs aren't bad per se, and not as troublesome as the duraforce carbs. My old 10518 was obviously a plastic carb and my 10545 is as well and they haven't given me any issues.

Regardless, jacob's mowers look great and he should be very proud. Just a caution it hurts putting that first scrape or nick in the fresh powder coat. :tango_face_crying:

Not to hijack the thread but does anyone know why the F series lived on until 2000 on the 10401 but was replaced in '98 with the duraforce on the goldpro and silverpro?

·
6,562 Posts
Probably using up stock. Just a guess. The D-600 series came out in 1975 and yet the D-400 series such as the 5024 carried on until 1981. Bill

·
5K Poster!!!!
5,329 Posts
Not to hijack the thread but does anyone know why the F series lived on until 2000 on the 10401 but was replaced in '98 with the duraforce on the goldpro and silverpro?

This question comes up from time to time on MTF and I don't remember a good answer, but it was mentioned that they thought that the 1998 through 2000 F series was only sold in Canada, hence the "C" designation at the end of the model number 10401C. I think all the 10401Cs that I have seen here on the forum (and Youtube) have been owned by Canadians. Once again, this really doesn't answer the question though. Just hunch on the why no sales in the U.S... might it of been due to the F series failing the new tougher EPA standards in 1998? Very likely in my opinion. It seems like I remember Toro/Lawnboy just barely squeaking by with the Duraforce.

Edit: If someone does have a 10401C, and they bought it in the U.S. please post a note.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I added the pull start off of a gold series. Has new battery and original battery charger. Original never used bag. I mowed with it one time(reminder it’s for sale)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
6,562 Posts
I did that same conversion on my 8243AE. Never could figure out why Lawnboy would not have included a pull start option as standard on that model. Bill

·
Registered
321 Posts
I did that same conversion on my 8243AE. Never could figure out why Lawnboy would not have included a pull start option as standard on that model. Bill
I did as well to the one a buddy gave me this past summer. Definitely a questionable decision on OMC's part.

Could it have been a cost saving measure? That's about the only thing I can think of.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.