My Tractor Forum banner
10861 - 10880 of 11080 Posts

· 5K and there's still more
8,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10,862 ·
LOL!!!
Steve Morris is not the only engine builder in town, he just gets a lot of HP out of them. Which is why the Pro Mod and Super Stock guy's have him build engines for them.
Now these guys use shear determination, and a lot of grunting to get the job done.

How to "Completely" rebuild a Cat Bulldozer engine. . . . . "Repair and Restore CAT Engine Broken Crankshaft"

Sort of reminds me of a friend in HS who had a busted crank shaft in his VW bug, it broke the same way, inside a bearing and continued to start and run. . . . . . not well but still ran!!!!

Don
🤠

8,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10,864 ·
I suppose we could get bored without these things popping up now and then . . . .
I have a couple of items on my plate as well.
Registration on the Trackers both requiring emissions testing this year, the 94 (green one) is fine with no work required. The grey one (the salvaged one) has had a light on for months, likely a vapor recovery issue. So oil change is on the list. With the recent rain and winter temps, it's on the back burner with two months until the due dates.

Computer parts are arriving today, a day early so I'm switching gears and look forward to the nerdy challenge of trying out the hacks and potential of improving two laptops. Fun sort of change and will give me a small break away from my brain draining house plans. Even a day away from that will be restful.

Don
🤠 🤓

· Parts collector
88 Dodge Snowfiter, 93 Dodge diesel, 02 Durango, 01 Electra, 02 Sportster, 2000 Dodge diesel 5 speed
6,152 Posts
Update on WV,
The double wide goes up for auction in a month. We plan on buying that first so we can add it to the property later.
They just had all the land combined and turned to agricultural land and are waiting for tax breaks from that so we are looking at a year from now they will be ready to sell.
Believe me we would be packing now if we could.
The gas well is on the neighbor's land but has been feeding the property for 20+years. No pump just natural pressure to move it to the dwellings. (85psi I think) It's a mile deep spike well no fracking involved.
There's a spring on the side of the hill I would love to tap into for water for the house.
20 mins to the nearest town, wallyworld, advance auto, pharmacy, shop rite grocery store, old school movie theater !930's, a Wendy's and McDeath, then there's an awesome Mexican restaurant we eat at too.

This place is a slice of heaven for us and my buddy Steve. Heck he called me with ideas on a shack on the top of the hill at midnight last night. Then got my brain going so I couldn't sleep. LOL......

I'd show pics of the rest but the people don't want this posted just yet so I will respect them.

It really is a neighbor friendly we take care of our own area. Everyone helps everyone there. They have a radio station that posts barter and trade things. THAT IS WHERE I WANT TO BE!

That's right, we are moving to Mayberry! 🤣 Heck the local Sheriff cuts and bails the hay on the field at the property.

8,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10,867 ·
Wow!!
That sounds great, or maybe too good. . . . . .
If you were asked for a cash down payment, walk away. If a deposit it an escrow account OK.
Only reason I can think of to hide the property from being posted is not a nice one.
Be careful, and congrats. I hope it works out for you.

Don
🤠

· Parts collector
88 Dodge Snowfiter, 93 Dodge diesel, 02 Durango, 01 Electra, 02 Sportster, 2000 Dodge diesel 5 speed
6,152 Posts
We with the plane vids I have to say the sexiest plane ever built was the F4U Corsair.

Reactions: TnTkr and Donewrken

· Parts collector
6,152 Posts
Corsair kill ratio was 11.1 the best of any plane in WWII.

sexiest plane has to be the P51 mustang, the corsair makes second place , out of todays single engine i'd take a mooney M20
Sorry Charles they look like a pregnant fish. LOL............. 🤣
And they couldn't match the combat ability of the corsair.

· Registered
1,946 Posts
each to his own, just i had the chance to fly both when my father's brother owned them, both war surplus and cheap at the time after the war ,
the p51 was my favorite, after the war birds he got the m20d what a pleasure bird ,fastest single piston engine still ' i learned on a piper super cub owned a c172 , than as i aged i wound up with a jabiru j230 light sport, talk about slow only 120 knots , now with old age eye issues no more bird no more flying ,

· Parts collector
6,152 Posts
Wow!!
That sounds great, or maybe too good. . . . . .
If you were asked for a cash down payment, walk away. If a deposit it an escrow account OK.
Only reason I can think of to hide the property from being posted is not a nice one.
Be careful, and congrats. I hope it works out for you.

Don
🤠
They are still not sure they want to sell. We need conformation they will sell to us before we buy the 1acre double wide. They don't even want the neighbors to know just yet. It has not been advertised at all My wife ran across this on a homesteading page.
They really are down to earth people with common backgrounds as Kristen, Steve and I.
Lord I hope it works out also.
BUT it is bad timing interest rate wise. Then again it's farm land so the rate is lower from what I hear.
These people are hand shake people for sure. There are 2 other people interested but we were the first to take a look see, we connected, so I'm pretty sure we are first in line.
Steve's biggest thing was "do you hear that?" No I don't hear anything. "that's right and my phone doesn't work here" LOL............
All you can hear is the dreek and the cows. we were there for 5 hrs walking "visiting" and 2 cars went past and you didn't even know if we hadn't been outside.
Not sure we can get the 5th wheel camper back in there. I didn't think to check power line heights.

My brain won't stop on the life we can have and the things I can do there. and well with Steve calling me at 12am talking abou tthe shack he would want to build on the hill just makes it even worse on my brain.

· Make Smoke, Boil Water!
2,191 Posts
...Talking about all the computer gadgetry ... laptop...
Also next hack will be to my daily driver, Dell said ...
I need to raise a hand and ask for help from you PC wizards...!! I need to change computers.

The Request:
I want to get a desktop to replace my +12-year-old-laptop. It was my wife's computer, and worked great for everything she needed it to do. Meanwhile, I had a series of hotrods for work; they were the darlings of the IS folks, because I used to edit video and create podcast material, plus I'm a Technical Writer and I do all my own illustrating. I use a whole bunch of the Adobe Creative Suite stuff, plus FrameMaker for all my work.

The laptop has been adequate, but lately it's starting to give me the willies: occasionally when restarted, it will report, "No Operating System Detected". Power OFF/ON always fixes it, and it starts normally. I have a full backup in hand, and am ready to put the work into switching machines.

But I need recommendations. You guys are far more spooled-up than I am on PC things, and I need to get some recommendations. Budget is key here, I'm looking at $500 (or less) because I now have no income (see below), but I need to get work done. I can stretch this if needed; especially if you guys think you've found something special.

Currently HAVE:
  • External monitor(s) with differing resolutions, although this laptop will only run only one, and not the newest one
  • Keyboards/mice for my specific hand-needs (arthritis)
  • Good backup & drives
  • Dell Inspirion 7110 (+DVD R/W)
  • Space for desktop unit to stay out of the way

Needs:
  • Something faster on boot (this waiting for five minutes is making me more gray)
  • Stay with Dell
  • No more dinky laptop display for second monitor
  • No more laptop keyboard in the way
  • Enough USB ports for camera, mouse/keyboard, backup drive
  • Something economical with DVD R/W
  • Speakers, if the desktop doesn't have built-in; but I have good headphones for sound work
  • A way to transfer all my ...stuff... over to the new machine

Explanation:
My job ended the week before Thanksgiving, and I've had more people than I can count say to me, "So! Are you going to work on your book, now?" And so I've decided to go that direction with my life. I need to concentrate on my writing, and really need help picking out a replacement PC, because I'm in the middle of what I hope is my first book.

All the IS guys I've dealt with over the last 25 years have been big Dell fans, and so I think I'd like to stay with Dell.

Thanks to all who are helping, here.

Mods, if I should start a new thread, please let me know.

Reactions: mopar65pa

8,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10,878 ·
I agree with staying with Dell, they make great products. I have been buying lease return machines and after setting them up, handing them over to friends kids to keep and to use for school & fun. During one of my bulk purchases, I spotted a leftover in the as is bin. It was a Dell AIO (all in one) it's essentially a Dell monitor with the computer built in. It said "won't boot" which could mean anything It but generally speaking, it needs a new power supply. So for less than $50 bucks I added it to my purchase. It wound up the "graphics card" which in this case was an integral part of the mother board and it was missing. The thing about the lease returns is that they come with a fresh operating system, never before registered, so that alone was worth more than the purchase price.

I wound up getting a used mother board of of the bay for $45 bucks and swapped it in.
I was impressed with this simple PC, I had been running home built's for the last 20 years with 3-4 hard drives, DVD writer 450 - 550 watt supplies and all the goodies, plus LED monitors 28" generally. This one had everything plus a 3.3gz quad 4 Intel processor. It was simple and had it all. I converted to a SSD 1tb drive and continue to be content with it.
In the mean time, I bought my sister a HP laptop, sold by Amazon, Walmart and all the rest. This one, now a year old went on vacation with me for a month and after finding my modem with Internet service running for my use, it was never turned off until I checked out 31 days later. I watched YouTube videos and even streamed movies from Amazon thru my account.
It was more than capable and is running the new NVMe M.2 SSD architecture. Which is thousands of times faster than SATA drives, essentially a one lane road compared to an 8 lane freeway.
You want this and especially if you video editing, it creates direct paths to the processor rather than being forced to comply with the SATA bus which is the one lane road.
With all the extra lanes and multi core processor, the needed speed is not as important as it used to be when there was only one core.
A multi core such as 6, 8 and more should be on your list also.
I cannot recommend a particular model but these are items to be considered when shopping. Do not be swayed by this one has a larger SSD than that one, They are dirt cheap now and you can easily swap in a larger one your self. It only takes a screw driver.
Memory amount is on the list also, although the SSD's do host Virtual memory but that's another topic.
Windows 11 needs to boot from "UEFI" which I'm sure you are familiar with a "system bios" yeah, same type of thing. Bios or basic in out system tells components what they are supposed to do and when to do it. UEFI does that, and is "secure Boot", it also provides for disc sizes over 2 TB, makes it possible to have more than 4 primary discs, is software programmable and many other good additional capabilities.
In a nut shell, buying a computer that is already running Windows11 you will have gotten the things I've mentioned. Buying a Windows 10 PC could have the things mentioned. Shop around, Amazon is a great place to window shop. Read reviews, throw out the whiners and the paid reviews.
Don't be tricked into thinking an "On Sale Today Only" type of add is legit. There will always be sales. Look at older models, one or two years even three & four could be a bargain and completely capable.
Come on back with the ones your looking at and we can all add our 2 cents.
Thank you for asking, I appreciate that.
Remember too, we all have our own opinions, none of which are the right one, just our own.

Don
🤠

· Registered
2,774 Posts
Update on WV,
The gas well is on the neighbor's land but has been feeding the property for 20+years. No pump just natural pressure to move it to the dwellings. (85psi I think) It's a mile deep spike well no fracking involved.

I'd like to know more about this; never heard of such a thing.
The neighborhood all buys gas directly from a local well? Metered I assume?
is the gas also sold to the grid or trucked away?

Is the gas usable in standard devices, direct out of the ground?

I find it fascinating.

8,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10,880 ·
One more item, speakers.
That depends on what you would like to hear. I've added $50 speakers and have heard thy are better than my home stereo. I've bought and used speakers that cost several hundred bucks and they are my home stereo.
I stream movies thru my PC and use a 43 inch Samsung LCD for my monitor and screen for movies. It has the absolute best quality picture I have ever owned. That is another item to consider when buying a PC.
So Do check speakers while browsing Amazon or where ever you prefer and check out Creative as a good quality name brand. I would look at what others have to offer but for under $100 bucks your doing great. Mice and keyboards, Upgrade to wireless is my preference and have not bee happy with the big names, Logitech, MS etc. I'm using a wireless back lite large letter keyboard which was around $50 bucks and a wireless roller ball mouse which is large, has two extra buttons and fits the hand better than a regular mouse.

Don

10861 - 10880 of 11080 Posts