My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
8141 - 8160 of 8176 Posts

·
5K and there's still more
7,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8,142 ·
This thread has been a little bit quiet...
It might be getting a bit noisier.
I have put to rest the idea of building a concrete house for a while. There is too much red tape to go with the engineering to meet the California building codes, but, there is still some hope.
I just found a new program that is specifically for concrete walls. I have not had the chance to run thru it yet.
Instead, I am planning to start off with a small concrete block house. It will be enough to get me started on the property. Once there is a house on the property I can then put up my garage/shop building which will give me enough room to move onto the property. After that I can continue on the house with an addition.

Actually this could an easier route to follow. I sort of enjoy block work it's relaxing. Almost therapeutic. LOL!!! Another good point to it is I can do block work by myself and I'll just need to call for a pump when I get to that point. It will be 44'x14' by 12 feet tall, enough for a kitchen, bedroom and bath/utility room. Realistically can be built start to finish under six months once I get started.

Don

·
Parts collector
4,339 Posts
Actually this could an easier route to follow. I sort of enjoy block work it's relaxing. Almost therapeutic. LOL!!! Another good point to it is I can do block work by myself and I'll just need to call for a pump when I get to that point. It will be 44'x14' by 12 feet tall, enough for a kitchen, bedroom and bath/utility room. Realistically can be built start to finish under six months once I get started.

Don

Man I did some much block work when i was a kid I don't want to do anymore.
Around here when they build an elevator shaft with block they fill the block after they are done with grout to make it solid. Believe me that is solid for sure.

·
7,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8,144 ·
They will allow you to go about 5 feet, to the bond beam, call for inspection before grouting. Then with rebar in place and inspected, you can grout it and go another 5 feet.
Or have all your rebar in place up to 12 feet when you pour your footing and your good to go.
I guess I'll be seeing a lot of the inspectors.
At least you can do most all of it thru the internet now.

I plan on it being fully grouted. Not bad on the small house, about 6 - 7 yards.
Don

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
"I love it when a plan comes together." Good to hear you are going to get started on the house. Are you going to build a special concrete bucket for all that grouting.

·
7,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8,146 ·
I have the 4 foot tilt bucket and thought about using it but will probably go with a pump to make it much easier on me with less chance of me knocking things down.
In the end it would most likely be less work, time and cost.
Not needing to pay standby charges while they wait for me to put the wall back up would pretty much even things out.
Now, If I only had a draftsman. . . .

Don

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
That's great to hear that you're getting close to have some progress done on the new propriety Don!

Looking forward for the updates.

I would offer my help on the building in exchange for beer but I'm just an ocean and a continent too far. 🤣

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
Oh I forgot to say, I have great skills at laying block. The walls look absolute perfect and straight, if you look at them 5000 miles away. 🤣

·
7,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8,150 ·
LOL!!!
Nothing to it, one block at a time. Just like eating an elephant.
They do leave a nasty aftertaste, so I've heard.

😆

Don

·
Super Moderator
15,695 Posts
I was wondering if you were still planning to get started. I need to stay up with this thread. When I don't check in for a few days I don't get notifications anymore.

·
7,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8,152 ·
Yeah, just going about it in a different way.
Hopefully it will simplify the process.
Thanks for checking.

Don

·
Registered
679 Posts
Hmmm...notifications quit on me again. And...logged me out. I had to look up my password in my super secret place!
Years ago, I remember watching the evening news about a neighborhood that was destroyed by one of the many fires that y'all get out there. Every house was reduced to a pile of ashes except one. It was a concrete house and the owner said he felt somewhat guilty because his house survived. His house was going to need pressure washing because it was covered in soot.
Not much happening here. I'm just getting older and fatter! LOL! It's been too hot to go camping. Also, we have been dryer than usual. If anyone has some spare rain, please send it here!

One thing I did do is install some back up lights on my camper. When I bring my camper home, I have to back it uphill on a curved asphalt driveway and it is really tough in the dark because that asphalt driveway disappears in the dark. I wired them so that they draw power from the RV batteries which are 4 large golf cart size 6 volt batteries. That way, I can operate them without the truck being attached. When the truck is attached, the reverse lighting power from the truck operates a relay to connect the lights to the RV batteries. Now, I just need an opportunity to take it somewhere and back it up in the dark! We do have plans to camp in Missouri in October and will probably head to VA, GA and FL in November.
Glad to see everyone is still here.

·
7,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8,154 ·
I had wondered where you have been. I figured you must be out on vacation somewhere.
That's a great idea on the lights, even better that you used a relay when attached to the truck.
I had some doubt as to the notification situation, Larry had just commented also.
There are not many trees around my property so it is not my main reason for wanting to go with the concrete idea. The benefits include the heat retention in the winter and cooling in the summer, sound reduction is there also.
Now I am considering the shop being block as well, the sound insulation will be nice.
I have taken up another look into concrete, I have found other sandwich panels that are more of what I had in mind, much different than the ICF's which are opposite of what I want. Waiting on prices, hopefully by next week.

Don

·
Super Moderator
15,695 Posts
Joe, it's been hot and dry here also. Need some rain bad. Lawn is burned up.
It's been too hot to camp here too. Change coming this week. More fall like weather they say. 70's during the day and 50's and 60's at night. Give the AC a rest.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Don, I always thought the ICF system was a good one. What is the new system? Of course, grout filled blocks and rebar make for a good sturdy structure.

Larry, we are looking at mid 70's to low 80's next week. It will be nice, but not wet enough. We have an 80% chance of rain for Tuesday, but that will probably go away. That's the way it usually works.

·
Super Moderator
15,695 Posts
Finally some rain this morning. Nice steady drizzle. A good soaking kind of rain. Not so hard and fast it runs off before it has a chance to soak in.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Glad you are getting rain, Larry. As predicted, our chance for rain on Tuesday is decreasing. From 80% yesterday to 70% this morning.
Cloud Font Clock Circle Screenshot

·
7,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8,159 ·
Interesting, no notifications starting with Joe's second post.
I think the ICF system is a good one that serves it's purpose of creating the forms necessary for it's intended purpose and leaves you with the structural concrete. It then needs to be covered on both sides.
The panels I am looking at are the structure, each panel has the equivalent of nine 2x4 studs per 4 foot wide panel and encloses the insulation. Then two wythes of concrete are applied. The panels freestanding can support the placement of truss roof systems prior to being concreted. The concrete can be the finished product or other coverings such as stucco, wood, or other masonry can be applied.

It's getting into the 50's here finally.
Sure feels good.

Don

·
Parts collector
4,339 Posts
We have been having flash floods here. Temps are in the 90's one day 70's the next with 60* nights.
It's supposed to rain the next 3 days here. It figures since I don't have any work lined up I was going to work on cleaning out the garage and cleaning up the back yard for a greenhouse and a wood splitting area. :confused:

Reactions: Donewrken
8141 - 8160 of 8176 Posts