My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
8121 - 8140 of 8176 Posts

·
5K and there's still more
7,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8,124 ·
I went to put the front tires on the TA, then remembered I needed to replace the front lug-studs due to them being, in my opinion about a 1/2" too short. I suppose they would be considered "Legal" since there are maybe 5 threads more like three. Try to torque those to 80lbs.

So I was shopping for 12.5mmx1.50x56mm wheel studs, that would give me about a half inch more thread engagement. I ended up with a set of M12-1.50 - 55.25mm serrated wheel stud. I'd say that's pretty close, fits Ford, Lincoln, Mercury and GM with a little help.

The knurl was a tad too wide so I get to use the lathe & that's always a good thing.

They turned out like this.

and this.

That's better.
Continued.

Don

·
7,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8,125 · (Edited)
Here is a closer look at how it was.

I had already changed out the rear wheel studs and those were a pain.
The lathe made all the difference a couple hours vs all day.
This is the type of thing I had always wanted a lathe for so it was a feels pretty good sort of a day today.

Edit
Also, another thing that made it a good day was the fact that Amazon got them to me overnight!
I ordered them Tuesday night and they were on my front porch by 12:00pm today.
Sweet!
One more thing that made it even better was the bargain price, about half off for a warehouse deal. Not much of an issue, they were probably returned because they didn't have a lathe to help them fit so they returned them.
Yep, a good day today.

Don

·
Super Moderator
23,132 Posts
Yep, a good day today..
Mmm. could be not so much a good day without the knurling to prevent them from spinning later on. The studs are harder than the plate that they are installed in.

·
7,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8,127 ·
It took 90lb or more on each to get them seated, which was more than the wheel torque speck.
They're not going anywhere the rest of the hub is not going to follow.
I did consider that and was why I kept them a tight interference fit.

Thanks for checking on me.
(y)
Don

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
That makes more sense.
I had to find new bolts for my Mercedes, it uses bolts from the outside instead of lugs.
The wheels had been changed and most of the bolts were too short.
It was difficult, the basic search turned up 100 pages of results, which I had to go through "by hand".
The car has a steel wheel for the spare, and should have a set of separate bolts for that.
I found this out when I had a flat tire.
Luckily, I was within walking distance of home.
Anyway, got those now.

·
Parts collector
4,339 Posts
Once again I haven't been getting notifications on this thread. But I haven't been around either.
My wife and I took the Harley to Tennessee for a week and toured the Smokey mountains in the rain LOL......... all but 1500 miles on the bike 6 days of riding and we got wet 4 of them. We had a great time though.
My phone flew off the bike at 80MPH and ended up junk after only 20 miles from home. 😢 So I had to buy a new one. I lost all my contacts but i did back the pics up on my PC before we left.
OH and I got my forks for the Duetz.

Attachments

·
7,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8,132 ·
I'm jealous!
Not of your timing but must have otherwise been a great trip.
Glad you made it safely there and back. Sure picked a nice destination, always wanted to go there again. I was little and mostly remember green! Ha!
More pics!
(y)

Don

·
Parts collector
4,339 Posts
More pics? Ok you asked! The flippin' awesome ribs. My beautiful wonderful wife and I, and the bike we bought to take trips like this.
All but 1500 miles.
yes that is Evel Kenival's bike.

Attachments

Reactions: Donewrken

·
7,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8,134 ·
Going to the store for ribs later. . . .
Love that rear tire!!
and the analog/digital speedo.
We were mislead in picture #8 being flipped.
LOL!!
😆 👍

·
7,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8,135 ·
Nice cloud cover today. . . . .

Cloud Sky Plant Atmosphere Ecoregion

We even had some thunder and lightning, though it only dropped about 6 or 7 rain drops at my house.

Nice and cool for a little change.

Cloud Sky Atmosphere Mountain Ecoregion

Don

·
Parts collector
4,339 Posts
We have a sunflower fields here. LOL................. Very strange for PA

Attachments

·
7,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8,137 ·
I'd say you've got bumper crops of them!!
Next thing you know you'll have butterflies to go with them.
I guess they get tired of them big fellas eating all the corn, soooo . . . . .

I took my camera outside to get a picture of the reason why I had to crawl under the TA one more time but didn't get a picture of my new Dif cover. Another of my Amazon finds. New painted steel cover for a GM 10 bolt warehouse deal $8 bucks but was missing the gasket which was $6 bucks.
It wasn't nearly as bad as I had envisioned. All the bolts were still factory torqued to about 22lbs. so it was an easy fluid & cover change. For the price it was not worth the effort to clean up the old rusty cover and the new one is even painted shiny black.
I couldn't drain it when it was up on the blocks, the front was too low so a lot of the fluid would stay in place.

Glad that's done.
I left it up with the wheels off the ground, maybe go for an in place cruise.
The posi is still in good shape, both wheels spin the same direction, no one wheel peals for this bird.
Don

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
This thread has been a little bit quiet...
So is the TA ready for the road now?

Better burn some fuel before the whole concept gets banned.

I was told there's no need to change differential or manual gear oil, but the people who say that don't drive 22 year old cars. Mine was thick like honey.

I've been making some hardwood interior doors, milling rough lumber, joinery, all that.
And making some new linkages for the hedge cutter on the milling machine.

Pictures will be posted later.

·
7,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8,139 ·
Or 24 year old cars, the gear oil was nice and clear still, inside it is still shiny. It's had an easy life, no one beating on it. Well till now, I plan on needing new rear tires once a year. Haha!!
I changed the gear oil in the truck a couple years back, it turned 30 this year.
Funny, when I bought it I said I plan on driving it for at least 30 years. I have never done anything to it other than oil changes once a year spark plugs, two sets of plug wires and air filters up until I lost reverse a couple years back. Then I went crazy and replaced the shocks, bushings and u joints to go with the tranny re do.

Don

·
Parts collector
4,339 Posts
It's a chebby, run it till it blows and get another one for $50. LOL...................
I was told there's no need to change differential or manual gear oil, but the people who say that don't drive 22 year old cars. Mine was thick like honey.
I just had the gear oil in both axles changed in my 93 Dodge Diesel with 200K on it. Along with a trans flush and filter.
I need to keep the old girl running smooth. ;)

8121 - 8140 of 8176 Posts