I've actually scored two nice deals that saved me quite a bit of money. I bought some 4" UPN channel that will make the uprights and also got most of the metal siding and maybe part of the roof. Used stuff but still in great shape.
I'll be reusing most of the concrete tubes that I already had in place ready for the containers, however I do need to relocate some to accommodate for the change of plans.
Going this route, will make it much easier to leave the trailer, tractor, one or two implements, the generator and an air compressor there as needed.
Pedro, suggestion for your shed;
Use 2 lengths of channel to support the roof, arranged so that later you can put a gantry hoist across the top if you want to.
Because you'll want to, right?
I want to build almost exactly the same thing and I've been thinking about it for a while.
Great point Mark, I do want it, but rather have it on my home shop where I do most of the projects. Hopefully, I'll be able to some sort of hoist on this home shop, things do get heavier over time and I don't anymore more hernias than the current two I already have.
This shed will be mainly for storage and not so much as a working space, although I'm sure I'll eventually have to do some repairs there.
It doesn't cost much to do while you're building; you'll need structure anyway, just a hundred or so more kilos of steel and you're prepared for the next adventure.
And a hoist is handy for a storage shop too; build a rack and lift your heavy parts up and out of the way.
Put one in you shop too!
Just say NO to heavy lifting.
Never do work by hand that you could do with a machine.
Real men only lift the remote.
Remote on one hand, beer on the other, that's how we roll! 🤣
On another completely different subject, the AC on my truck is not working. Not even kicking the compressor on, let alone idling the engine up. AC systems is one of those things that I've never had to work on because I didn't really have to, so I don't know much about it.
I was trying to troubleshoot the AC system, checking the basic stuff like fuses, relays, etc. All was good there. I run a wire directly from the battery to the clutch and it engaged just fine. I then went on the workshop manual, to see how to test the High Low Pressure switch. Once I bypassed the switch, the system came to life, although the air was really that cold.
I'm pretty sure the system just needs to be recharged, which I will get it done on a local shop. The question is, if the system is low on refrigerant, does the compressor still kick in or will it just stop completely? I'm trying to figure out if it's just low on refrigerant or if there is something else going on, like a bad pressure switch or something.
That's what the switch is for; it cuts the compressor if the pressure is to high OR too low.
If there's still some gas in it, then it's only leaking slowly and a recharge will probably do it.
It happens when you don't use the AC for many months, the compressor seal dries up and it leaks there.
It's good to run it once a month through the winter, if you can remember.
I usually don't.
Those AC charging shops are a racket; they reuse your gas but always charge you for a full recharge.
If you know an independent shop with a charging setup, I'd use them before one of the big chain garages.
They always have the lowest paid guys I think.
I hardly ever use the AC, however we had some very hot days and with the long trips to gather the metal siding for the building and was going to use the AC. Good thing that that truck has the sliding window on the rear window.
I avoid those shops like Roady, Norauto, Feuvert and a few others. Those have indeed the lowest paid guys and also a lot of interns with short attention spans working there.
The Bosch Car Service is what we use to service our vehicles and they are doing a promotion to recharge AC systems until the 30th of September for €50. I'm pretty sure there is not much to recover on my system anyway.
Thanks for the tip on the dry seal. That may very well be the cause for the leak. Last time I used the AC on that truck was a couple days after I bought it, a year ago.
Project I sort of finished today...
My mill came with a 14mm L wrench instead of a quill wheel.
So of course, I made one.
I measured the drop with 1 rotation and found it to be 65mm. So I made a wheel with 65 little cuts in it, and stamped numbers in.
That's not easy; it took me 3 tries and it still has one bad.
I bored it through and across to fit a 4mm ball as a lock. That gets pushed out by a center rod with a screw knob.
The paint is horrible and I think I'll probably sand it off and do it again.
I think I need to shorten the spokes a little too, but I'll wait and see how it is in practice first.
I hardened the center rod.
Heavy drought here too;
The water association that operates the irrigation system issued a communique informing everyone that the whole area is just about out of water.
If we don't get serious rain this winter, economic catastrophe lies in store for agriculture, so be prepared.
They even ask for government advice on the matter.
And a big fire Wednesday we could see from out place too, column of smoke filled the sky. They put it out after 2 days though.
Everything is bone dry.
Then we read about floods up north; hey, that's OUR WATER!!
We put water out for birds; we've got thousands turning up.
Well, hundreds. Many hundreds.