My Tractor Forum banner
7881 - 7900 of 8063 Posts

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
I retired at 62 in 2004.I was working as a contract employee and paying my own taxes. Had a disagreement with owner and left a couple of years before I retired. I had worked there 11 years. His wife a retired school came to work there an then his daughter, things went to ****. He had just let another guy go. Two others left right after I did. They told me that the guy
he let go wanted to put money into the company. I told them that anybody wanting to put money in that company was to dumb to work there.
I design two churches and did a lot of foundations for moved houses as they were widening Hwy 49. One of the other guys that left was a Architect and sign off on my work that needed one, A good deal for him as he made as much as I did.

DonF

·
5K and there's still more
7,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7,882 · (Edited)
Sounds like you got out of there at the right time. Sweet deal for the architect!!
That was two years before me, I left in 2006 at 52. Still I had 34 years in at the time I left.
No one would have taken the bet that an 18 year old kid would have lasted that long.
I told myself early on that it was temporary until I got my real job, I wanted to build houses.
We finished building my first house by the time I was 24, I built 12 more in the following years.
That was while working full time, on the weekends, vacations and "spare time".
LOL!!!
I just realized, it was my first day on the job way back on 6/12/1972. I can still see the job interviewer telling me . . . . . and in 30 years you can retire with a full pension. I smiled and thought to myself yeah, right. The war was just winding down, I didn't think the earth would still have life left on it.

Don

·
Citizen of Earth
15,955 Posts
...........I just realized, it was my first day on the job way back on 6/12/1972. I can still see the job interviewer telling me . . . . . and in 30 years you can retire with a full pension. I smiled and thought to myself yeah, right. The war was just winding down, I didn't think the earth would still have life left on it.

Don.
I graduated high school in June 1974 and I had the very same thought. Nixon was on his way out, and although "peace" had happened in Viet Nam, it still wasn't a settled deal. And the Russians were doing their thing in Europe. I remember at 18, thinking age 30 was a long ways ahead of me and I hoped I'd make it. I hoped the world would make it that far. Funny how context and perspective can really change how we look at things. I just hit 65 and I think of 70 as being only a month away.

Reactions: Donewrken

·
7,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7,884 ·
My sister turned 72 this year that was a surprise to me, she was not happy about it. I suppose it seems distant to me because I don't think about others as an age, just the person. I hadn't thought about her age until she brought it up, Then thought that's a long way away for me.

Yeah, it seemed to just continue only slowly fading away. I think that helped fuel the fears of guy's our age.
The positives for me that year was a high lottery number, then the cancellation of the draft.
Your right, the nuclear threat lived on with the bad guy's ready to launch at any moment, or so we were told.
A heck of a way to bring up the next generation, starting with "duck and cover" drills in first grade.

I finally felt the threat was gone for a year or two, then 911 happened.

I remember at 18, thinking age 30 was a long ways ahead of me
I remember cousins in their late 20's early 30's and thought they were old, they were almost twice our ages at 18.
So yeah, that is a long time from that perspective. Now my intention is to be here mid 80's and once there I'll need to adjust my attitude again. 20 years doesn't seem so far away now.

Don

·
Super Moderator
15,641 Posts
I turn 72 in about 6 weeks. I had two birthdays that didnt go over well with me. The first one was 40 and the worst one was 70.
The 60's were a trying time for thosd of us that were of draft age. I remember just putting my life on hold because of that hanging over our heads. 1968 was a hard year for this country. There are documentaries saying that was the darkest year in American history outside of the civil war. I think 2020 will be a contender for that title now. December 1968 after seeing all my buddies get drafted or enlist I decided to enlist and get it over with. Plus I had quit school in September of 66 so I wanted to go in the Navy in hopes I could learn something to help me if I made it back home. Even though going to Vietnam twice I did learn a trade that worked out well for me. No regrets there.

·
7,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7,886 ·
Some positives unfortunately your health paid a high cost for the education.
It would have had a much less bitter taste had they admitted they exposed their service members to a toxic environment at the onset of medical claims rather than treating them as if they were the enemy combatants doing an unpatriotic act by requesting compensation. The proof has already been proven and is still present , it should not need to be debated further. IMHO.

Don

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
I was in Great Lakes for most of 67 and 68 so didn't see much of what went on here, I was lucky didn't have to shoot at anybody as I was only in country (Vietnam) about three weeks.
Spent the rest of my year look at it from the out side. Our stations were Antoy an island located between Vietnam and Cambodia and the mouth of the Saigon River, We spent a couple of weeks up at De Nang out from the Air Force Base that is where I saw action. They would shoot a mortar of the mountains surrounding the base, about a minute later the battle ship would light up the top of the mountain. the battle ship was further out I never saw it.
I was back home by Nov. 68.

·
Registered
668 Posts
I wanted the education that the Navy could offer me, so I joined and was sworn in on 16 September 1968. They promised me the advanced electronics program after testing and I accepted. That added 2 years to my 4 year enlistment, but I spent all of those 2 years in school. That kicked off my career and I'm forever grateful. I never went to Vietnam, but our sister ship did. My ship was new (USS Mount Whitney LCC-20) and it seemed like the Navy wanted to show it off. We mostly took short cruises (3 or 4 weeks) and visited many liberty ports. Tough duty! ;)

·
7,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7,889 ·
about a minute later the battle ship would light up the top of the mountain.
That must have been quite a sight. My dad used to tell me about when they fired the guns on his ship. He was on the USS West Virginia. They had a long history doing well in competitions.

Wee Vee and the Missouri 1945.

Don

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
I was in Great Lakes for most of 67 and 68 so didn't see much of what went on here, I was lucky didn't have to shoot at anybody as I was only in country (Vietnam) about three weeks.
Spent the rest of my year look at it from the out side. Our stations were Antoy an island located between Vietnam and Cambodia.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
I put the mill into the shop yesterday; after a couple of days clearing out to make room.
I had to evict my back workbench that holds my metal cutoffs, maybe 350kg.

I took my drill out for clearance, and took the handles off the lathe, etc.
I set the mill down on wood, pulled the forks out, and lifted it off with rope to set it on the floor, then pushed, pulled, and pushed some more.
It went ok.

I had to pull my workbench forward a bit too.

I realized it was better a bit to the left...

Then I put the table back on;

Then the spindle head;

I weighed my drill press while I was moving it around; 350kg, 770lbs.
That's good old iron!

In other news, I got my second vaccine today.
So far, so good.

·
7,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7,894 ·
Home sweet home!!
Looks like everything fit back in like it was supposed to and still room inside.
Lots of planning and effort well spent.
Congrats!!
and on the shots. 👍

Don

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
Mark has been really busy.

Looks like you found a nice place for the mill. These things are a bit awkward to find a good spot as it wastes so much space for the size, because the table is long and has to have room to move in all directions.

I like the welder mounted on the door. I might steal the idea and do the same with a small air compressor whenever I have the containers on the propriety.

·
7,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7,896 ·
I might steal the idea and do the same with a small air compressor whenever I have the containers on the propriety.
Oh, thanks.
Now you have me thinking that's exactly what I need.
Still planning on my 32'x48' shop. . . . .
It's been useful for me maintaining my motivation for the house build, same goes for the excavator waiting to go to work. . . .
Containers= answer to wood prices at the moment?????
Things can change, ya never know. :unsure:

Don

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
I don't know if it's a good time to buy containers now. The prices for those are sky high at the moment.

2 or 3 years ago, I could buy a 20 ft container in perfect shape for around $850, give or take $100. I priced a couple of them a couple months ago and couldn't find anything for less than $2000.

Rumors has it that the Chinese are exporting like crazy now, so they actually paying to get their empty containers back to China. So this means that the containers are getting scarce everywhere else.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
I plan to make retractable castors for the mill, so it can be turned for long work, or pulled forward as needed.
My first idea was to set it near the door where the drill press is, but it would have been to cramped, and it can get wet there sometimes.
I need to spend some time with the mill, when I measured the table movement it didn't come out looking good, 0.1mm off.
I don't know if anything can be done about it, that seems like a lot of error but my lathe is pretty wonky and I've learned to cope.

·
7,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7,899 ·
I priced a couple of them a couple months ago and couldn't find anything for less than $2000.
That is abut $200 less than what they cost here a year ago. . . .

I need to spend some time with the mill, when I measured the table movement it didn't come out looking good, 0.1mm off.
I don't know if anything can be done about it, that seems like a lot of error but my lathe is pretty wonky and I've learned to cope.
Hmmmmm,
old carpenter mentality stops after 1/32nd of an inch.
Mill is perfect!!!
Haha!!!
:LOL:

Don

7881 - 7900 of 8063 Posts