My Tractor Forum banner
7861 - 7880 of 8063 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
Joe, that was enough cutting to justify a new metal cutoff saw.
"well, honey I need it to make cuts for your rack. . . . . . . OKaaaaaaeeeee"

Missed opportunity!!!
:whistle: :ROFLMAO:

Don
Yep. Dumb move on my part. That was about a year before retirement (2013) when I thought retirement meant no money available. I was a super penny pincher. :rolleyes: If I was doing it today, I would buy the saw!

·
Super Moderator
15,641 Posts
Same here Joe. I retired before I was eligible for SS and part of my pension. Money was tight for awhile.

I haven't been getting email notifications on this thread again so I had some catching up to do. Looks like success for you Mark.

Between mowing every 4 days, doing maintenance on my truck and dewinterizing my camper and sanitizing the water system and just a general going over. Had to install a new awning fabric. I've been busy myself. One more thing to do on the truck, change fuel filters and it's good to go for awhile.

Had an MRI on my right knee this past Wednesday. See the doc on the 11th to see how much damage I've done and what the next step is. Been getting injections every 3 months for awhile because you couldn't get any surgery unless it was an emergency. Last injection was in March and the doc said when it wears off it's time to see what's going on in there.

·
5K and there's still more
7,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7,863 ·
Joe, that's easily understood.
I think we all start retirement that way. Then after a few years we realize it's not the bleak and gloomy thing we thought it was going to be.
The one nice thing my former employer did was they hired an attorney to do my SS so that started for me ten years early due to the cancer. Later I learned they only did that to get me off of their books. LOL!!
Regardless it was appreciated though 9 years later it was questioned and I had to present the evidence to back the claim once again.
Yep, the one thing that changes after retirement is we can no longer "just work some overtime hours" to pay for the extras.
I can live with that, I still call it the best job I've ever had and wouldn't want back in the working world even if they paid double!

Larry, it's nice to hear from you. That's a lot of mowing!
I had to touch up the yard a week ago to be in compliance with the county/state wild fire prevention mandate.
We need to have all vegetation cut down to 4 inched within a hundred feet for a "defensible area", I cut it down to the ground. The fuzzy stuff had only grown back to about 2 - 3 inches but it's nice having that gone.
I was close to that already from last years cutting but went over the yard with my battery powered weed eater to give it the "groomed look." That took a couple of days due to waiting on the batteries to recharge. It's just about right for me, run a battery down and take a hydration break then plug in another. So four of the large De Walt knock offs is about a days worth for me.

Sounds like you've got the truck and camper ready to go, time to enjoy all the work you have put in.
(y)

Don

·
Registered
668 Posts
Like Don said, good to hear from you, Larry. I was 64 when I retired and I could get SS, but I had this vision of always being broke and unable to buy any toys, etc. However, we've had money left over at the end of the month even after giving 10 to 15% to the church and about 10% to the Gideons.

Larry, I have a slide awning that is not rolling up properly. I'll need to work on that and, like you, I need to sanitize the water system on my camper. We are going to be camping soon. Hope your knee can be easily fixed.

Don, speaking of cutting vegetation, I saw a man with a push mower cutting the grass in a ditch. I don't know how he got the blade so low, but there was nothing left but dirt behind the mower!

·
7,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7,865 ·
Makes you think some sort of chain/flail type of a deal, but you said pushing it.
Hmmmmm,

Don

·
Super Moderator
15,641 Posts
Larry, I have a slide awning that is not rolling up properly. I'll need to work on that and, like you, I need to sanitize the water system on my camper. We are going to be camping soon. Hope your knee can be easily fixed.
I'll probably have to replace to canvas on all 3 of my slide toppers next year. My tires are coming up on 5 years old. Still lots of tread and no weather cracking I can see but they claim they should be replaced every 4 or 5 years. I keep them covered and parked on 2x12 wood. We have a 7 month old shepherd pup to take with us which should be interesting.
Raining here today and we sure need it.

·
Citizen of Earth
15,955 Posts
I had to retire on disability before I was 62. I also thought I was going to be eating peanut butter & jelly sandwiches on stale bread for the rest of my life. Turns out, from not driving 100 miles a day round trip to work, I've been saving a lot on fuel for the truck and my car insurance went down $1200 a year. And I got the 2 mortgages on the house paid off, so I actually do have a little "toy" money each month.

Reactions: Donewrken

·
7,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7,868 ·
So about $400 a month savings on transportation alone, another $200 for meals AND two mortgages payments!
I'd say you've done very well, congratulations! 👍 🙂 I hope your health has taken a giant up swing with the stress of the daily grind removed.

Amazing how much effort we had to apply just to get there. I started saying I don't know how I ever found the time to go to work after I was back on my feet. There just doesn't seem like the day had enough hours for me to have done that.
I was unceremoniously thrown out the door when I was diagnosed with Pancreatic cancer, they didn't bother to even ask if I wanted to retire, my boss just showed up at the hospital with a stack of papers and said sign here.
Fortunately I had more than enough time in with the company 34 1/2 years so there wasn't any deduction as far as my pension involvement. Still they (the management entity who over see that end of the business) give you the run around as if your trying to pull a fast one, at least until I had my rep confront them with my work history. Then suddenly they wanted me to simply and quietly just go away. I think the part about me having gone 9 and a half years with perfect attendance was the icing on the cake, up until that point I had never been in a hospital other than to see my kids being born.
That was 15 years ago now, and it's almost like a distant memory of another life. A long almost three years to being functional again is where it seems to have faded.
Glad to be past that, and glad to hear of another retiree doing well after leaving the working world the hard way.
Wishing you good health . . . . . good fortune and a happy retirement.
🤙
Don

·
Super Moderator
15,641 Posts
It's disgraceful how fast you can go from a valued employee to someone they dont even want to know when they think you are no longer useful to them.

I was making the company money and also had a good work record till I had open heart surgery. I was in mangement and was getting large end of the year bonuses based on performance so there was a record of my good work history. Even though I was keeping them informed of my recovery on a weekly basis it seems they didnt expect me back. When the doc released me to return to work I found out they already hired my replacement. They couldn't let me go while I was in recovery or I would have had a good case against them. They told me when I came back they didnt know what they were going to do with me. Long story short I kept myself busy talking to long time clients and was bringing in little jobs here and there for them. I went from always being told by the owner i was like family, along with a few other valued employees, to where the owner didnt even acknowledge me when he came around. I wasn't going to quit, i was going to stick it out and make them let me go so at least i would be eligible for severance pay.
They had a $3 milloin dollar job getting ready to start where we were the prime contractor and responsible for all the subs. They quickly found out my replacement wasn't what he said he was and fired him. Now all pf a sudden i was back in the family because they needed me. That whole experience left a bad taste in my mouth so when that job wrapped up i took early retirement. I as 61 years old and money was tight. In fact my wife went back to work. When I got my SS disability that eased things up a bit.
I ran into a guy i went to school with at a kind of small reunion cookout with a bunch of guys i knew from school or the drag strip or both for another guy that was only given 6 months to live. This guy i ran into i had not seen since high school. Come to find out he was a disabled Marine from the Vietnam war. He was now working for the DAV in Dayton Ohio. We got to talking and he said the VA would compensate me for my lung issues and heart disease because of exposure to agent prange and asbestos. He filed all my paperwork and got me compendation so that eased the financial situation even more. As soon as my wife turned 62 she took her retirement.
Like you Don it seems like a distant memory of another life. It's been 11 years for me know. I'll be 72 August 1st and with my medical history i believe ive beat the odds and already lived longer than some guys i worked with that retired with what they thought was good health only to die a few years after retirement.
The VA keeps messing with me and sending me for evaluations every year to see if my conditions have changed. I'm waiting right now to hear from them after my last round with doctors this past March. They didn't mess with me in 2020 because of covid. Everything was shut down then.

Reactions: bontai Joe

·
7,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7,870 ·
What a story, at least you had some satisfaction after being thrown under the bus that your years of experience was something that's irreplaceable. It sounds like your exit was at the appropriate time. You showed a real toughness and maturity sticking it out after your return considering the cold shoulder treatment.
Incredible good fortune running into an old friend in the right position to work with you filing the necessary documents. I don't think that type of thing happens by chance and the way all the puzzle pieces fell into place. I tend to look up and say thanks when I hear things like this.
I hope your next round with the VA works to your advantage, the additional time might be a good thing.
Thinking back on my last go-round with Social Security and how they requested supporting documentation for my medical disability. I had never been to the Federal office before and had no idea of how the procedure worked. I only knew my appointment was on a Monday at 8:00 AM and when I got there at 7:40 there was a line outside the building with what looked like 50+ people standing and waiting for their turn. At about three or four minutes till I told the guy in front of me that my appointment was at 8:00 and everyone around me said you'd better get in there right now! Just as I walked in and showed my appointment notice a guy said he had just called my name and at the same time a door opened up and a lady came out and asked for me by name. I followed her to a small office, feeling like I had just downed a pot of coffee, we sat down and she said she thought I was a no show and that she was about to call the next person. After a deep breath I explained it was my first visit to any Social Security office and that I was waiting in line for fifteen minutes. She smiled at that and her demeanor changed to warm and friendly, I seemed to have gone from late arrival, slacker to confused old guy. So, here I am with just an appointment slip of paper waiting for the third degree questioning to start at any second when she says I've gone over your case file and I don't know what they were talking about, you have more than sufficiently provided supporting documentation to justify your claim and I have already signed off on the approval of your claim. What a release, I was probably glowing enough to turn off the lights in the room. I thanked her and then told her I thought I was going to have to go a couple more rounds with them. She laughed at that, then she added and you know what else helps your case? Your 61 years old and in another 5 or 6 months you would be eligible anyway.
I have to rate this one as the warmest outcome of any of my battles. It turns out she had just retired from Social Security and she was hired back as a contract worker due to their heavy work load.
I felt blessed to have had such a warm & friendly person handle my case. Those types of things never seem to happen for me.

Don

·
Registered
668 Posts
Wow! Quite the stories, Larry and Don. It's amazing how valued employees are so easily kicked to the curb by some employers. Shameful. Glad to hear the VA is helping you, Larry. Don, it used to be that a diagnosis of Pancreatic Cancer was a death sentence. Glad you were able to beat it.

·
7,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7,872 ·
Yeah, it has gotten somewhat better but early detection doesn't happen soon enough for the majority, still.
I was turned in to security by the guard at the gate at Edwards and told to see security. Long story short the Sargent told me he turned me in due to my complexion, I looked like a lemon. Next morning I drove my work truck straight down to Kaiser. A half hour later I asked the Doctor what we were waiting for, it seemed like he was stalling, he told me I needed to call someone to pick up my truck because I wasn't going anywhere and I was only leaving by ambulance to the hospital. First time I had a ride in an ambulance and first stay at a hospital.
I finally had the opportunity to thank him a year later when I needed him to help me get a copy of my records.
He said it was an easy call just by looking at my color.

Don

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
close call...
I encourage family and friends to retire early if at all possible.
Looking from afar, I see a lot of people accustomed to spending money because they have it, and then working their butts off because they need it.
But if you stop commuting with that 4 ton truck and eating out twice a week, you might be able to own your whole day, every day.
And that has value too.
My older brother was a tech guy before the term was coined, and I guess he was good at it because every time he ever tried to quit or retire, they paid him more.
One boss was aghast; "But I thought you liked it here."
"The commute is too long and my house is underwater, I can't sell unless I put in 50G."
Boss said; "Ok." and paid it!
But that job ended a while ago.

So I'm really proud of him that he had the guts to go against the trend and retire early, so he has time to enjoy his life.
Now he's doing hard labor on a little patch of land, growing pennies worth of crops for every hour.

I retired early too; I could get some work here and have some extra for toys, but instead I'm happier just enjoying my life with a little less.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Wow! An early warning gate guard! Never heard of suck. Thank God he did report you. What the Doctor did with you sounds kinda like what the Doc did with me when I went to the Hospital for a heart catheter. He told me I had blockages and he was not going to allow me to go home because I "was not going to die on him"! I had a "widow maker". That was on a Monday and they couldn't operate until Thursday.
Speaking of guards at military bases, several years earlier I was arriving at the Navy base where I worked, after having a nuclear stress test. I told the guard that I might set off their radiation detection equipment and he said, "you already did!" They had to give me a special pass for the next several days.

·
Registered
668 Posts
close call...
I encourage family and friends to retire early if at all possible.

So I'm really proud of him that he had the guts to go against the trend and retire early, so he has time to enjoy his life.
Now he's doing hard labor on a little patch of land, growing pennies worth of crops for every hour.

I retired early too; I could get some work here and have some extra for toys, but instead I'm happier just enjoying my life with a little less.
Yep! Retire as soon as you can. Too many retire and die a year later.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
I had some English neighbors; they had the house for 20 years, but only retired and came to live permanently in it several years after we came to Portugal.
Super nice guy, owned a car + truck repair garage in UK; I told him he should stop by sometime, it was several miles around by road but only a few hundred yards walking through the back.
He said he was unable to walk that far, and I knew he'd worked for too long.
As you said, he was dead within a year.
House was bought by a German guy who doesn't live in it.
And the wheel goes around again...

·
Super Moderator
15,641 Posts
I guess the years of experience count at some point Don. What mattered to me most when all was said and done is what I was remembered for. For the most part we are all replaceable when the time comes. No one hardly remembers the things you accomplished or built. What meant the most to me was having guys stop by my house several years later saying I was the best boss they ever had and if it wasn't for the things they learned from me they wouldn't be where they are now. I took the time to teach those that wanted to learn. Some were there for just a paycheck. It made me feel good that some took the time to stop by and thank me. I would rather be remembered for how well I treated people than how good I was at my job. If you are good you will get noticed and advance, if you treat people well you will be remembered.

·
7,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7,878 ·
I told the guard that I might set off their radiation detection equipment and he said, "you already did!"
Speaking of setting off the alarm, I took my mom to Hawaii for a 50th anniversary festival being held on Oahu.
Going thru security at LAX, she walks thru, I put my bag on the table and walk thru, Buzzzzz, they wave me back and take off my belt, Buzzzzzz, they wave me back and have me turn my pockets out, Buzzzzz.
Finally I hold up both arms and slowly reach down to the bottom of my shirt and with one finger and thumb on each side gently raise my shirt, exposing the incision scar then point to where they inserted the mesh at the bottom of my rib cage. They smile and take their hands off of the revolvers and wave me thru. I could hear people behind me chattering away, what's going on!!!
LOL!!!
When leaving at Honolulu international, Mom walks thru, I walk thru, the guy stands there acting like he was watching a monitor. I very briefly thought about mentioning the sensors needing an adjustment but remembering where I was settled on the image of life being much more laid back here than it is on the mainland, smiled and kept walking.

Don

·
Super Moderator
37,082 Posts
I found one last error in the relay bank, and all is roses.

It works!
up, down, in and out.
Man, I hadn't been following this and got way behind, glad that you got everything working! You can call that Germany company that sold it to you and let them know that if they need one backward engineered you are the man!! Congrats on getting everything working, can't wait to see what comes out of your shop now.

·
7,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7,880 ·
That had to be a good feeling for them to put out the effort to stop and thank you.
Way back prior to moving here from Orange County I passed the tests for a management position, the third level, District Manager offered me a choice of either an engineering job or construction manager (assistant mgr. 2nd level is the manager) I had been running the training crew for over a year at that point and told him I preferred staying in that job, sort of staying with my roots. One of the best parts of that job was taking the new employee with no knowledge or job experience through the steps of being a qualified technician. All the guy's, including the ladies were so enthusiastic and interested in learning the trade it made the job fun for all of us. We all felt we were part of a team. Moving from there felt like leaving family behind. My prodigy went on to become an engineer after spending 21 years in the field I trained him in. He finally retired with 31 years.

Don

7861 - 7880 of 8063 Posts