7281 - 7300 of 7375 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
It could happen.
Or maybe in increase in premium.

Hope not.
Don
I hope not, too. If it happens, I'll be shopping. I think there is enough competition with the insurance companies that I wouldn't have too much trouble finding a replacement.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Wow! That really sucks how the insurance company dumped you, Mark.
It's not just them; no other company in the country will write me a policy either. This is for my residential rental houseboats that provide my income, and insurance is important.

Almost no other company... there is one who writes 'non standard' policies, service is worse and cost is higher.
I'm no longer insured for sinking, only fire and storm damage.
If one sinks, I'm sunk.
Yes, there are automatic pumps.
One boat has 5 of them, 1 HP each with 2" outlet pipes.
A pipe was leaking and enough water built up to set one off; freaked the tenant out.

The trick is to keep the float switches clear to move.
Stuck float switch and... I'm sunk.

·
5K and there's still more
6,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #7,284
I'd been called out for high water alarms in the middle of the night way back when. Just as urgent as a fire or over temp. alarm. Rising water in a metal below grade structure filled with electronics will get your attention. Stuck float switch's and cracked pipe's on a couple. Sump is always on the other end from the door so having to get there in waders, trying not to create a wake was fun.

No coverage for sinking!!
Don

·
Super Moderator
4,791 Posts
Real fun wading into a flooded basement with outlets below the waterline, and the breaker box... naturally... at the far side of the basement. :rolleyes:🤞

·
6,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #7,287
Happy New Year

I'm sure glad that one is in the books. Lets dust ourselves off and give em heck this year.

Also glad I have some help with things around the house.

They help with eeeverything!!

It does wear them out.

but not for long, and soon after a nap it will be time for racing.
Hope we all stay healthy, be careful everyone and have a great year.

Don

·
Registered
601 Posts
That's terrible, Mark. If you become a citizen, does that allow you to get insurance?

Anyway, Happy New Year guys! I hope 2021 is a better year!

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
If you become a citizen, does that allow you to get insurance?
No; they aren't objecting to my nationality, but my residence. the property in in Holland and I live in Portugal.
They'll write policies for owners in bordering countries [France, Belgium, Germany].

·
Registered
601 Posts
No; they aren't objecting to my nationality, but my residence. the property in in Holland and I live in Portugal.
They'll write policies for owners in bordering countries [France, Belgium, Germany].
Oh. I understand. However, that sucks!

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
thanks, merry happy to you all too.
I have to admit that so far, it's not so great.

Cats; does your cat cheat on you??

I had a dog who did.
We found out when walking in an area of town we never used to go, suddenly the dog stuck his head into a butcher's and the staff all started greeting him and giving him cutoff bits.
They knew him well they said, comes by several times a week they said, so polite, never comes inside just waits at the door.

Free dog in the city; those days are gone.

·
6,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #7,298
Both good stories.
They are such good companions, I'm sure glad they chose to befriend us.
Thanks!

Don

·
Registered
18 Posts
My cat used to steal food from the local shop! Well not really steal.. More like he would sneak in, approach the butcher area and start meowing until they have to get a piece of meat for him to get him out of the store xD

·
Make Smoke, Boil Water!
1,708 Posts
I had a dog ... We found out when walking in an area of town we never used to go, suddenly the dog stuck his head into a butcher's and the staff all started greeting him and giving him cutoff bits.
They knew him well they said, comes by several times a week they said, so polite, never comes inside just waits at the door.

Free dog in the city; those days are gone.
Where I worked as an Apprentice Mechanic, we had a Basset Hound that would come wandering (more like 'trundling' if you know what I mean) in at 3:10 sharp, every day. We would be on the lookout for "Hank the Tank", just to make sure he didn't get run over. Then he'd make a wandering tour of the shop, getting pets, ear scratches, and a dog cookie or two... or three... or four... He was really smart, staying out of places that would have been dangerous to him. Saw him every day for years, then didn't see him for a while, then saw him again a time or two. We figured that he'd been getting out when some child in his family got home from school and kept leaving the gate open. I understand that Bassets are wanderers, and "Hank" was apparently no exception.

The next time we saw him, the boss tied a note to his collar that told how we'd been taking care of him and had missed his coming in every day. Then we started seeing him regularly again for a long time.

Then one day, he stopped showing up altogether. A week or so later, a lady in a blue sedan rolled in, weeping, wanting to speak to the boss. We learned that afternoon that "Hank" (his real name was Charlie) had passed...

7281 - 7300 of 7375 Posts