My Tractor Forum banner

7061 - 7080 of 7188 Posts

·
5K and there's still more
6,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #7,061 (Edited)
That sounds like a very good paying job, drilling under the house. I wouldn't think it would be a steady income though.
I made the most out of it in spite of the rain, wind, fog etc. and fashioned an alternator bracket.
Since the mounting surfaces were even, I needed to lap the two pieces of 1-1/2"x1/4" bar and weld them together, giving it a half inch thickness. I think it will stand up to the constant tension of the serpentine belt.

I swapped the idler pulley on the compressor delete bracket with a smaller diameter pulley so the stock belt can be used, making replacement simple.

I'd better paint the stripes on the water pump to match the valve covers. Also the breather cap & oil fill on the covers as well.
I think the height of the alternator will clear the hood, soon find out. LOL!!
By the way, the water pump is driven off the cam so that's why there is no pulley. It is also reverse flow, coolant enters the heads first then is routed to the rear of the block and back out the front thru the water pump and on to the radiator.That way it cools the hottest part of the engine first rather than flowing already warmed up coolant over / through them.
Don

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
That company that puts in the poles has been at it for decades; I don't know how many crews they have now, but there seems to be no sign that they're running short on work.
The entire city, and a lot of other ones, are built in a swamp. It was [as everyone knows] dammed and drained 700 or so years ago.
First houses were wood on wooden piles. After the entire city burnt down once or twice, new laws were enacted; build from brick.
So they built brick houses on wooden piles.
The poles are fir, and they last a long time in anaerobic silt. But after a few centuries, very few are level. Many were in danger of collapse.
In most cases it would be more profitable to knock the old structures down and build new ones, but these old buildings are all historic and protected.
So when some clever person figured out a way to reset them without destruction, bingo; tens of thousands of buildings can be saved, so by law they must be saved.
An industry was created.
While other foreigners marveled at the ornate tops of the old buildings, I was fascinated by the foundations.
11 hours to go; tick, tick, tick

This video is a foundation job done to a historic orchestra building in the 80's, they repaired, jacked it up, leveled it while a full concert schedule was maintained above.

·
Premium Member
572 Posts
Posthole digger! I knew Pedro would beat me to it.
I don't really have a lot of holes to dig but boring them by hand is SO boring.
My ground is so soft, I push or pound fenceposts in with my FEL; but for my upcoming shed project, I need clean deep hole to pour footings.
Will you make the auger yourself or buy it?
Yes, I did make my own auger. Out of 80 mm round pipe. Cut it with the plasma, flattened it out with a mix of hydraulic press, hammers, pipe wrenches and some encouraging words. Then cut a circle out of a square, with the proper hole in the middle. Then after a lot of banging with all kinds of hammers, it looked somewhat like an auger. Still needs some tuning here and there. It's more or less 250mm in diameter.

I had bought two augers a long time ago. The plan was to increase the diameter on one of them and keep the smaller one for smaller posts. The auger is made out of thin sheet metal, maybe 1.5mm which is weak for what I want to do with a 250mm diameter. It should work fine on the smaller diameter one.

·
Premium Member
572 Posts
We just had our daylight savings time change this weekend. You may be 1 hour out. 😂 😂

·
6,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #7,071
I am, but we are paused at the moment waiting for the temperature to get back up in the 70's. It looks like it will be next Monday and Tuesday. I feel like an expecting father waiting on the kid to be born. Ha!

Another comparison on the engine bay.
Before

After

Also the mirrors which one is darker. - The dirt is due to dust then rain.LOL!

They are both the same, the one on the right is in the shade while the left is in full sun.

Don

·
Registered
584 Posts
That foundation work is amazing! Probably not cheap, either! Your paint work looks great, Don. What was the "Rats!" comment? Did Mark lose the bid? We've gotten nearly 4 inches of rain here in the last 2 days and are supposed to get more rain today.

·
6,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #7,073
We've gotten nearly 4 inches of rain here in the last 2 days and are supposed to get more rain today.
That's a lot of rain!! Larry has had a lot also. Looks like the start of a wet winter for you guy's on the right side. I think our drought will continue.
Hadn't heard from Mark, the reason for the comment.
I can hardly wait to finish the painting so I can continue putting the car back together. It's supposed to be warming again, fingers crossed.
Any news on your brake system?

Don

·
Registered
584 Posts
Our area is now under flood watch, but as you can see, it's all downhill from our house and I will never have to worry about flooding from rain. Almost 4 1/2" in the rain gage.

On the brake issue, they are supposedly sending me new rotors, bearings, seals and pads. 7 days ago, he said it might be a week or so. I guess I'll see them any day now? I hope.

·
6,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #7,075
it's all downhill from our house and I will never have to worry about flooding from rain.
Cool!
Picture too
Yaaaa, on the brakes.
Do you think the calipers will be OK, no binding?
Wouldn't it suck if they did.

Don

·
Registered
584 Posts
Do you think the calipers will be OK, no binding?
Wouldn't it suck if they did.
Don.
Calipers seem to be working properly. I set a camera with tripod to watch the calipers while applying and removing hydraulic pressure. In the video, you could see the piston extend and retract. Since we are now planning to travel to Virginia, Georgia and Florida, I'm wondering how things will work with the scored rotors if I don't get the new ones in time. BTW, it just started raining harder now!

My rain video!

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Got outbid on the last machine.
It's getting aggravating now, each time one comes up I have to figure out transport possibility and costs.
Some UK ones are imperial dialed, some metric, always have to ask.
There's a beauty on ebay.de with no reserve; but it's really big, heavy, and comes with no tooling or vice.
It would have to go for a song for it to be worth it for me to pay the transport.
My wife and neighbors are starting to complain about the clanging + ratting noises coming out of my head.

So I'm looking at that Lisboa ad from last month... the machine is still not sold.

I could rent a truck for 150, freeing 700 euros for tooling.

Meanwhile, virus cases are rising exponentially here. People are sort of numb to it now it seems, but the graph on the ministry of health website is going crazy.

I'm not sure I even want to travel to Lisbon when our mini-lockdown ends next week.

·
Registered
584 Posts
So here's a pic of one of the rotors. That's probably the worst. What do y'all think? Will they destroy the pads in 2500 miles?

Mark, sorry about the bad luck with the auctions. I know it is frustrating. Been there, done that! Seems like there's always someone hitting the button at the last minute. Then there's the person that bids 400% over the value of the item! LOL!

Last night, when it was just about dark, I noticed the rain gage was full to the brim. I meant to go out and dump it, but forgot. My wife said it poured really hard last night while I was sound asleep. I sleep through lots of noise! Anyway, all we can do is guess after this and it's expected to rain all morning and halfway into the afternoon. 7, 8 9 inches. Who knows what the total will be.

That's cool that you caught that lightning on video. I had one a couple of years back that looked like a strobe light show. I'll have to see if I can find it.

·
22,194 Posts
So here's a pic of one of the rotors. That's probably the worst. What do y'all think? Will they destroy the pads in 2500 miles?
One of the mechanical foremen at work (about 40 years ago) was heavily into rally driving and offered up this advice. The ridges and grooves add swept area for the brake pads to work with. Once worn in to match, the pads would wear at the same rate as normal but have better stopping power.

He never dressed the rotors.

7061 - 7080 of 7188 Posts