Super Moderator
15,405 Posts
You sure are staying busy

·
5K and there's still more
6,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #6,902
. . . . yeah. . . . .
and I thought I was supposed to be too old for this sort of stuff.

It will work out for the good, I'll have plumbing favors that should last quite a while!!

Don

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Why would the skid plate not come off? Toyota still building frame out of that cheap metal that rusted out in the late 80's. Mine not but 40 years old and it came right off. That bottom hose is going to be fun with the plate on.

'

·
6,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #6,904
I went online and found the answer. There are two additional bolts in the center recessed about 3 inches. So naturally with it on the ground you cannot see where they are located.
Having the radiator and fan removed made lots of room to get to everything except the tensioner.

Good to hear from you. Lots of rain your way from what I saw on a weather report.

Don

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
They talk a big storm, but most of it went below us. We got a day and a half of rain it was never real heavy like they predicted. Allen might have had heavy rain. They turn east to west and the heavy rain was on the southeast side. July and August has been dry here for last five or six years, but not this year. I have been burnt 60 gallons of gas in the last four months just mowing .I'm out right now.

Mine just had the four bolts in the corners. With the straight axel there is nothing in the center to bolt it to.

I've been doing some cabinet work the cooktop quit. We had looked for one back four years ago. I could buy a slide in range cheaper then a cooktop. I bought one. and reworked the cabinet.
they I did a couple mor wood projects I had been putting off. Don't have any pictures of them as the battery in my camera won't hold a charge.

·
6,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #6,906
That worked out nice.
How do you like the cook top?
I thought about one years ago but Toni never was too fond of them.
It seems like it would really take some getting used to, course we have always had a gas stove so visual sets the temperature.
Holy cow 60 gallons for the lawn.
I'm pretty sure that's more than I put in the cars for the last few years.

Don

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
We were promised rain too; we got about 1/2". Now it's dry again.
It rained to the south, it rained to the East, but most of it went North.
Pedro got our rain...
If we don't get serious precipitation soon, things are going to get bad.

I finally got all the parts for my old Mercedes coupe so I can get it roadworthy again.
I found some crash damage that was never repaired, a bent suspension part, missing bumper crush blocks, small things.
Being an amateur mechanic is much more fun than being professional.
Take it easy, contemplate the job, fabricate a part or a tool, wait for deliveries without stress, be satisfied.

·
6,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #6,908
Others are getting our rain here too, wonder if it's going to Pedro. We have had hazy sky, but just smoke.
Nothing forecast. 😕

Being an amateur mechanic is much more fun than being professional.
Take it easy, contemplate the job, fabricate a part or a tool, wait for deliveries without stress, be satisfied.
I agree, even my no stress work helping a friend is too stressful, he's been by checking progress three times now.
At least I've got lunch out of him a couple of times. :D
I'll be glad when it's finished today and then I can happily, patiently wait for my parts to be delivered.

Don

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
What's every one doing. Don you still waiting on parts. We are still getting rain about ever other day. Not a lot but just enough to keep it wet so can't do much outside.
Painted the kitchen and changing out the light over the sink.

Don

·
6,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #6,910
Yep, waiting on parts is what taxes the patients most.

I should have posted sooner but nothing real exciting, just the engine going back together. So I ran out and snapped a couple.

Now where do all the extra things go. . . . . like trying to figure out how the heat shield for the plug wires screws on since the holes don't seem to line up. I solved that by purchasing some heavy duty heat wrap.

. . . . and then the hoses and whatchamacallets!!!
Time to clean up the front end and have it ready for the engine to be put back in.
Let's see, how did those engine mounts bolt on . . . .

Kids are keeping busy also

They can find fun in most anything.

Thanks for checking, still no rain here plus the wind is picking up.
Not good for fires.

Don

·
Super Moderator
15,405 Posts
Make sure you know where they both are before you button everything up.

·
6,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #6,912
Where did them cats disappear to, they wuz just here a minute ago . . . . . .

How about this cat.

and this is part of why dealers allotted nine hours to change plugs and wires.
It took a friend and I a half a day to change plugs. The third from the left was changed twice, cracked the first one then we ground down a socket to fit. and it looks so easy sitting on a stand.
I had thought of strategically placing a couple of inspection ports in the wheel wells, I am going to give it a good study.
No way could I have drilled a few 3 and a half inch holes in her car and lived to see another day. :p
I'm now thinking more like a 12"x 6" hatch.

The front end was mostly needing a wash and not a scrubbing, only a little oil spot under the rack that leaked from ? It's like one of those you dream of finding, a 1997 that is not coated in oil and rust.

I guess I could throw some paint at it before it goes back in.

Don

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Nice looking work Don [as usual], it sounds pretty diabolical; 9 hours for plugs and wires! Crazy.
I got new [used] headlight for my car since the mountings were broken off and it wouldn't adjust.
Took it to the shop for alignment + get the lights pointed correct on the machine [the safety inspection demands they be to the millimeter].
Turns out my new used headlight, bought from a Portuguese seller, is English. the low focuses to the left.
Plastic parts are so aggravating.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Well, the emails quit. I have to say something so I get notifications! Things are looking good on your rebuild, Don.

Mark, I never would have thought about headlamps being designed for the right side of the road or the wrong side of the road. Shocker! Makes sense, though.

I'm still dealing with the brake issue on my camper. If you don't remember, the issue was excessive wear. They think it was a blockage. Perhaps like the piece I found in one of the tee's. Anyway, they are going to send me replacement rotors and pads. One thing that has me buffaloed is the bleeding of the system. They say to listen to the noise of the actuator. The initial noise at startup changes after it builds pressure. They say the sound change should be almost instant. The longer the delay, the more air is in the system. Mine seems to be the same with 2 different actuators. It always seems to be about 5 seconds. Over the course of this troubleshooting nightmare, I have used about 3 quarts of brake fluid. The actuator is located about 2 feet higher than the calipers. The brake line extends down from the actuator to about 1 foot and then travels aft to the axles. From there, the lines drop about another foot to each caliper. The calipers have 2 bleed ports and I use the top port. If air was trapped in the system, where would it be? And, wouldn't bleeding 4 to 6 ounces of fluid per caliper get it all out? Here is a youtube video of the sound that my actuator makes. Video
Anyone have any thoughts? Ideas?

·
6,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #6,915
2 bleed ports and I use the top port. If air was trapped in the system, where would it be? And, wouldn't bleeding 4 to 6 ounces of fluid per caliper get it all out?
A logical view of bleeding the system, but you are still having issues. Maybe trying something different could have another outcome.
How about cracking the bottom first then finishing off at the top.
Who knows. . . . . :rolleyes:

Don

·
Registered
572 Posts
Maybe trying something different could have another outcome.

Don

In the "something different" category, I wonder what would happen if I could pressure bleed from the caliper back to the actuator. By the way, here is a video they made for me. Their video.

·
6,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #6,917
I think he said yours are about the same as these . . . . what ever that means.
It didn't really show much.
Maybe some dialog would have helped.

Hot out there. I've been in the engine compartment prepping for paint. It's 86 out in the shade, much hotter under the hood. By 7:00 it's supposed to be 74 but too dark to paint. I guess I'll have to start at 6:00 tomorrow morning. 56° at 6:00 it will be 30° hotter by 2:00pm. Should only take an hour.

Don

·
Super Moderator
15,405 Posts
I think he said yours are about the same as these . . . . what ever that means.
It didn't really show much.
Maybe some dialog would have helped.

Hot out there. I've been in the engine compartment prepping for paint. It's 86 out in the shade, much hotter under the hood. By 7:00 it's supposed to be 74 but too dark to paint. I guess I'll have to start at 6:00 tomorrow morning. 56° at 6:00 it will be 30° hotter by 2:00pm. Should only take an hour.

Don
I think our warm weather is gone for the year. Our highs tis week are your lows.

Reactions: shagjzhgt235

·
22,112 Posts
The actuator is located about 2 feet higher than the calipers.
Air will usually collect at the highest point of a sealed system. Maybe try cracking and bleeding the lines at the actuator? Or at least fill them up by directly pouring in fluid if there is air space.

Something like burping the transmission fill/dipstick line on a truck. (I know, poor example but you get the idea.)

·
Registered
572 Posts
Air will usually collect at the highest point of a sealed system. Maybe try cracking and bleeding the lines at the actuator? Or at least fill them up by directly pouring in fluid if there is air space.

Something like burping the transmission fill/dipstick line on a truck. (I know, poor example but you get the idea.)
That's why I was thinking reverse bleeding would work. There is an 8" hose from the actuator to the steel line and I've cracked it there and got no air.

6901 - 6920 of 7070 Posts