My Tractor Forum banner

6841 - 6860 of 6912 Posts

·
5K and there's still more
6,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #6,841
Quote Never ask someone if they're going to have ducks. Even if you're pretty sure, and they're gazing longing at eggs. You don't know. And it's none of your business. /end quote

Um, I'm OK with that.

Are you speaking from experience, or is that the same as, you know . . . .

Don

·
Premium Member
2,234 Posts
Um, I'm OK with that.

Are you speaking from experience, or is that the same as, you know . . . .

Don
Nope! The last time I saw a duck that looked a little "fluffy", I pretended I saw nothing. I don't want to get in trouble.

·
6,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #6,846
All I know, I bet there is a lot of this going on over at Pedro's house.

Don

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Mark, your dog is beautiful! What breed is he?
Tibetan Terrier.

Top is a straight edge where the upper horizontal 30x30 will be, the lower arrow is to the vertical beam... a lot more steel will be added today. In the middle is a 30x30 square tube for measuring, that's where another 30x30 solid rod will be.
I'm just making sure it will all clear the front tires at full tilt and lock.
There used to be a simple diagonal brace, but when the axle was tilted it interfered with the steering.
This has irritated me for a while.

Turns out the family just got bigger:
Everyone's talking about ducks but this picture doesn't show for me.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Mark, I don't see any little quackers either. Just a little blue box with a question mark.

Nice calculator Don. When I was still working, my mechanics had to know how to calculate the torque. In practice, they used a torque analyzer.

·
Super Moderator
15,365 Posts
Don, you can't be having much fun with the rolling blackouts and fires nearby. Especially in the heat.

·
Super Moderator
15,365 Posts

Attachments

·
6,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #6,854
They are saying they will cut the power today but hasn't happened yet.
Now I see quackers!
Everyone at Pedro's still saying "Who Me??"

Update .
You can tell a rookie cat by when on your lap purring then suddenly you look and see

as it gets too comfy and slides off, hanging on to your pant leg as it makes it to the floor.

Size reference for the inspector, notice the sharpie.

Just looks larger in the pictures.
And every once in a while, they are not antagonizing each other.

White boots is always looking to get into some mischief.

A rare quiet moment.

They don't last too long in quiet mode.

Joe, I am getting differing results using a digital torque unit (AC Delco), a clicker and an old beam wrench. My gut tells me the old beam is more trustworthy.
How about your thoughts.

Don

·
Premium Member
2,234 Posts
Ha, they are adorable little inspectors. Did you say if they have names yet?

I have a clicker and beam, no digital. But as long as the beam-type is still reading zero when just sitting there, it seems to me that it ought to be quite consistent over time, at least. You're just relying on the simple bending of a steel rod, there's no moving parts or anything.

That doesn't guarantee that what it shows as 50 ft-lbs is really 50 ft-lbs. But a year ago, vs today, I'll bet that its indicated-50-ft-lbs is still very close to the same torque as it was a year ago.

Digital may be more accurate. But I suspect those, and click-type, are more susceptible to being dropped, etc.

I suppose it would be interesting to try and compare my cheap click-type to my beam unit. Connect them, twist the beam unit, and see what it's reading when the clicker goes, at some set value.

·
Registered
556 Posts
But as long as the beam-type is still reading zero when just sitting there, it seems to me that it ought to be quite consistent over time, at least. You're just relying on the simple bending of a steel rod, there's no moving parts or anything.

That doesn't guarantee that what it shows as 50 ft-lbs is really 50 ft-lbs. But a year ago, vs today, I'll bet that its indicated-50-ft-lbs is still very close to the same torque as it was a year ago.

Digital may be more accurate. But I suspect those, and click-type, are more susceptible to being dropped, etc.
I'm with you RedIctobyr. Unless I knew the clicker just came from the calibration lab, I'd put my faith in the beam type, too.

·
6,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #6,857
Connect them, twist the beam unit, and see what it's reading when the clicker goes, at some set value.
I did just that, after I realized I was comparing newtons to apples. I was reading the clicker 10lbs light to the beam. Then after I put on my reading glasses and set the digital to read foot pounds, I compared the clicker and was 10lbs light. So I calibrated the clicker to the digital and all is good. I can put it on the end of the clicker and hear beep beep up to when it goes solid tone and click.
How about that!!.
I'm still deciding on the one but the little orange one is Orangeboy (number two naturally). The other I've called by several names so far (hehehe) mostly little bitty kitty. So, if it turns out to be a female, which is more likely "she" will go by Biddy and if a boy, maybe Kenny

Don

·
6,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #6,858
I'm with you RedIctobyr. Unless I knew the clicker just came from the calibration lab, I'd put my faith in the beam type, too.
Yeah, there's nothing fancy about them but they are like a Timex and just keep going.
The digital is a few years old and has been babied all it's life. Lives in it's case in the big drawer and hasn't been dropped as of now. It was alarming seeing the difference due to needing reading glasses to see it wasn't reading feet. Oops!!! Or Duh!! 🤓 LOL!!
Thank you both for chiming in!

Don

·
Registered
556 Posts
When working on aerospace vehicles, if a torque wrench of any kind is dropped, it is tagged out and returned to the cal lab to be checked and or re-calibrated.

·
6,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #6,860
When working on aerospace vehicles, if a torque wrench of any kind is dropped, it is tagged out and returned to the cal lab to be checked and or re-calibrated.
I would have thought they wouldn't hit the floor, you know that anti gravity thingy.

Understandable with what is at stake, missals falling apart, etc.

Don

6841 - 6860 of 6912 Posts