My Tractor Forum banner

6681 - 6700 of 7069 Posts

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Looks like a she...
You use an endoscope or something?
I did it to a motorbike once, the polishing took ages, and it was only aluminum, and only 2 cylinders.

I don't know if it ran better afterwards, or if I was just imagining that it did.
Either way is good.

·
5K and there's still more
6,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #6,682
I know those lashes.

It probably did run better, it was getting more air = more gas = more power.

No endoscope.
Some custom heads. These are around a grand.

Here is the gasket match.

and after some work.

and after some more.

New valves ordered, old valves are not worth the additional work that would be required, could not just lap them. So cutting seats and valves would require shims or stem cutting, or different keepers and on and on. Worth the hundred bucks for new stainless steel valves and all the new hardware that came in the cam kit will work. Then new push-rods once I can assemble the heads & take a measurement.

I could probably half fill a shot glass from what came off of the head so far. That's just the intake.

Don

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Do you have a valve seat grinder?
We used to have one in the garage where I worked in the 70's, and a valve grinder too. They were OLD, my boss bought them used.
I did a lot of heads with it, we used to take them in from other shops sometimes.
You said you'll need to order push rods to size? It's all new to me, the last US engine I rebuilt was a 1965 Chevy 318. Actually, I needed a pushrod for that.
And I was in Bombay with the car at the time... Really, no joke.

Hydraulic lifters, or do those pushrods have to be precise?

·
Super Moderator
15,405 Posts
Do you have a valve seat grinder?
We used to have one in the garage where I worked in the 70's, and a valve grinder too. They were OLD, my boss bought them used.
I did a lot of heads with it, we used to take them in from other shops sometimes.
You said you'll need to order push rods to size? It's all new to me, the last US engine I rebuilt was a 1965 Chevy 318. Actually, I needed a pushrod for that.
And I was in Bombay with the car at the time... Really, no joke.

Hydraulic lifters, or do those pushrods have to be precise?
A 318 Chevy is a new one on me. Is that one made for the foreign market?

·
Super Moderator
15,405 Posts
Don, I see the eyes now. Hi guess my imagination isn't working well these days.

How's the Orange additions working out?

·
6,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #6,686
Orange additions, I was asking myself what did I get myself into last night. LOL!! They are 8 weeks old and full of energy. The good part is they love playing together, it seems they never stop. I find it amusing how their little paws make a stampede sound on the carpet as they chase each other or when playing ball on a string on a stick with their human.
They are a lot of fun.

No valve machine here, it would need to go to the shop & the only machine shop around that I would trust to do the work is in Bakersfield. They are the the guys who did my boat motor, they built motors for racers at Mesa Marin.

Don

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
You're right, It was a 283. 4 door Impala. 2 barrel. 3 speed manual. AC. No power steering though.
I finished the faceplate and cut the old hedgecutter knives from 3 to 2mm, saving $5 on buying the right ones new.

·
6,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #6,689
Revised weather for us.
Rats!

It's supposed to get down to 89 by 6:00PM

Don

·
6,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #6,691
I like that idea!!
I was out working on the other head for an hour and had enough for a while, came in to cool off.

Don

·
Super Moderator
15,405 Posts
I saw that on our forecast. They were saying as high as 110 in some areas of Southern California

·
6,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #6,694
Parts arriving daily.

One day delivery from Walmart, beats Harbor Freight back ordered & Amazon Prime 10-11 day delivery.

Snowing in the middle of summer?

Soda blasting.

Seeing faces again. . . . .

I took Marks advice and moved one indoors.

The guy in the center looks surprised!! Sorry, I still need to flush the water jacket. I'm going to use a Lime Away type product, though I got most of it with soda blasting and rinsing with water. This is just prior to lapping in the new valves. Comp Cams suggests giving their products a thorough cleaning prior to putting them in service. They weren't kidding!!
This is from cleaning 8 keepers.

After that, I was a little disappointed that the springs were so clean.
LOL!!

The two on the left, springs below are their new improved & shiny springs.

Oh, reached some limit. Well enough for now then.
By the way, one little paw on the keyboard can make a half hour of typing go away.

Don

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
15,405 Posts
Wait till you see what 8 paws can do

·
6,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #6,696 (Edited)
Cannot watch for eight right now, watching for the flash flood!!
"
Issued By
Hanford - CA, US, National Weather Service
Affected Area
Tehachapi Area
Description
...FLASH FLOOD WATCH IN EFFECT UNTIL 8 PM PDT THIS EVENING... The National Weather Service in Hanford has issued a Flash Flood Watch for a portion of central California, including the following areas, The southern Sierra Nevada in addition to the Kern County Mountains and Desert. Until 8 PM PDT this evening Isolated, slow moving thunderstorms with very heavy rain are highly probable in the watch area this afternoon into early this evening. Rainfall totals of up to 3 inches may occur in the heaviest thunderstorms with the potential for localized flash flooding."

Still watching, 3 inches an hour would be like being at Larry's house!!

Only 94° today, 95° tomorrow and by next Tuesday ONLY 89°.
Things are looking up!

Don

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Keep your feet dry there Don.
we haven't had rain for years.
Well, we had a little 6 months ago, but you know what I mean.

Making a front grill for the tractor; I'm tired of replacing smashed headlights.
It will be heavy.
15mm plate; har har har.

·
Super Moderator
15,405 Posts
those kind of storms are unusual for you aren't they?

·
6,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #6,699
Yes.
Thunder outside now. Nice cloud cover happened when a friend stopped by on his new 2014 Harley.
Only 14k miles on it, looks brand new.
15mm ought to stop most of it. (y)

Don

·
Super Moderator
15,405 Posts
Its been dry as popcorn flatulence here since the 1st. Of July except for that recent storm

6681 - 6700 of 7069 Posts