Not scary at all, now.

You know compared to. . . .

This

😲😱🤯😬

Don

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Don you need to keep those earthquakes out there where they belong. Had 5.1 Sunday morning at Sparda, NC about 80 miles Northwest of here. They said it was felt as far South as Georga and far North as Marland and DC. Maybe Joe felt it? We are usually dry July and August, It's been a treat of T-storms almost ever day. Been having to mow every week so far this year. Thundering out ther now.

DonF

·
5K and there's still more
6,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #6,665
I saw that in the news about your earthquake. I asked Larry if he felt it, he said naw.
You guys need to practice a bit more to get the really fun shaken going on!!
Hope no damages for you. Wow that's a lot of moisture, were as dry as usual for this time of year.
They said we were going to get doused yesterday, wasn't a cloud in the sky and it stayed about 90 most of the day.
I have been hosing down the yard in the evening and with the evening breeze it cools off nicely. I even closed the front door last night.

Take care and thanks for checking in!

Oh, what I've been doing.

Don

·
Super Moderator
15,363 Posts
We just had a nasty storm blow through. Horizontal rain. They are saying 60 mph sustained wind with gusts over 100 mph. I have lots of tree damage. Got a mess to clean up tomorrow. Thankfully no damage to my house or buildings that I can see. Just came in from dragging tree branches out of the road.

·
6,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #6,667
Those are some nasty storms your having, you have had the worst weather this year. . . . .
and nobody gets to go see the race!!!

Were just boring old 90's here but a little breeze is stirring the hot air.

Be careful out there Larry!

Don

·
Super Moderator
3,764 Posts
Looks like a tornado warning south of Ft. Wayne... keep them hatches battened.

·
Super Moderator
15,363 Posts
They are predicting more thunderstorms tomorrow evening. Hope they aren't as bad as this one

Reactions: Donewrken

·
6,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #6,671
Not as exciting as tornadoes, thankfully.
Still looks like someone took a big stick and stirred everything up.
The disassembly is going well, it leaves the entire front end exposed, cool! It will get a much needed clean up. Still, not too bad for 24 years old.

The engine has held it's own. Other than the head gasket dissolving in place the wear on the bearings is not excessive which would indicate regular oil changes. There is one piston, that has a stuck ring. So I decided on replacing them all rather than just re-ringing the engine. Pistons, rings, main & rod bearings ordered in standard sizes. Also cam bearings standard for the new cam, I sprung for Durabond's for that.
How about this engine stand!!

Yeah, it's hanging on the hoist and is also being supported with a couple of 2x4's cross the lathe table to the shapper. I know the part for the stand is out here somewhere but it is playing with me. I have the tranny mount handy but nothing for the engine. Have considered making one with pipe and steel on hand. Still have 300' of 1/4"x 1-1/2" flat bar on hand. I might get by with it on the lathe table for the main bearings and cleaning then put it back in the air for reassembly, we will see . . . .
It is convenient being able to turn the engine over, I gave away two other engine stands, maybe I'll break down and spring for another. With Amazon now taking 7 to 10 days on deliveries I will have some time to get things more organized.

Don

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Looks like you're having fun again.

I broke a couple of blades on the hedge cutter, plan was to put on a couple of old ones I have.
Turns out the old ones are too thick.
Hey, I think I've discovered something...

Anyway, I could shave a bit off, if only I had a surface plate for the lathe.
YAY!
Something fun, make a surface plate for the lathe.
Satisfying.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
My bad, wrong terminology.
I meant a face plate. You bolt things down on it that can't be held in a chuck.
I've wanted one for a long time and I used to watch ebay but nothing the right size ever came up for a usable price.
And anything would have to be cut to fit my orphan lathe anyway.
So, we have a steel collar and a nice iron flywheel from my old car engine [smaller than your car engines!].
I'll have it tomorrow I expect. No fancy slots, just threaded holes will do for me.

·
6,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #6,675
Those are fancy looking slots!!

Will it be just a matter of bolting it down somehow?

Don

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Faceplate attaches in place of the chuck; all sorts of things can be bolted down on it.
My Indian machinist used to bolt single piston engine cylinders for boring + honing.
Obviously, the mountings can be in the way of the cut, lineup is tricky, and slippage can cause disaster.
Nice ones have T slots for mounting bolts, cheapos like my picture have crude open slots, I'll just have threaded holes and make new ones when and if I need them.
Most machinists have clever hold down kits with a range of studs, claws, blocks and such.
I'll have threaded rod and cut off mild steel strip with holes drilled in.
And I'll keep my body away from the plane of the rotating mass in case a part comes loose!

·
6,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #6,677
And I'll keep my body away from the plane of the rotating mass in case a part comes loose!
(y)

Tall ports.

Looks like someone is hiding in the engine.

Walmart brand oven cleaner, no scrubbing. Just spray on, rinse with water.
Not much work needed on these heads, a bit of grinding and polish.

Don

·
Super Moderator
15,363 Posts
I guess I'm a little dense. I don't see the alien hiding in there

·
6,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #6,680
Yep much to gain port matching, see how out they are. I will get a picture b4 and after.
You don't!!

He was in hiding.

Don

6661 - 6680 of 6908 Posts