My Tractor Forum banner

6641 - 6660 of 7031 Posts

·
5K and there's still more
6,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #6,642
At last, quick hitch hooks!
Yaaaaaaa!!!! Biguns and liluns!

Well I thought I had the car moved yesterday, but found out how low she is to the ground, again. The idea of using jacks to move her the last three feet soon went away.
A few more pulls were in order.

Now she's moved over.

Getting ramps under the rears next. It's supposed to cool off, I sure hope so.

Don

·
6,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #6,643
90 miles down the road from me.
I think they get more work done at night.

Fire

Don

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
That kind on nightlight you don't need!
I'm watching the fire warning website every day, high risk time but so far nothing in our area has been lit.
There are warning signs on the highways about using machinery in the countryside. A fire was started by a brush cutter. I thought that was a myth but apparently it really happens.

You're going to get that inside I hope?

·
6,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #6,645
No room inside.
We have another fire, this one is about 40 miles away. They call it a grass fire.

It's next to the "grapevine" the main artery north of Los Angeles. Look what they are making the northbound lanes do. Closed down I guess.
Around 12 minutes.

Don

·
Registered
572 Posts
Happy belated birthday Larry! Don, I wondered where you were in relation to the fires. Stay safe.

·
6,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #6,647
I wondered where you were in relation to the fires. Stay safe.
The real question on this fire is . . . . . .

Did they start the "grass fire" as a diversion to shut down the 6-8 lanes of traffic on the states MAJOR north/south artery due to activities concerning the "secret" govt installations around and under said freeway system?
Why would you re-route all northbound traffic that was not threatened by the grass fire that was burning in the opposite direction???
I suppose it's too techie for us to understand, but there are literally 10's of thousands of car and truck drivers who will never know why they were delayed for 3-4 hours that day.

Don

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
That kind on nightlight you don't need!
I'm watching the fire warning website every day, high risk time but so far nothing in our area has been lit.
There are warning signs on the highways about using machinery in the countryside. A fire was started by a brush cutter. I thought that was a myth but apparently it really happens.

You're going to get that inside I hope?
It sure happens Mark. Quite often actually.

We use high strength chains instead of blades on brush mowers. Mostly because we can just go over rocks and whatever without damaging the blades, but this of course will create sparks and in dry brush, doesn't take much to get lit on fire.

So far we've lost 5 or 6 firefighters and we're still halfway through the fire season.

·
Registered
572 Posts
The real question on this fire is . . . . . .

Did they start the "grass fire" as a diversion to shut down the 6-8 lanes of traffic on the states MAJOR north/south artery due to activities concerning the "secret" govt installations around and under said freeway system?
Hmmm....really? Govt installations?

·
6,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #6,650
Govt installations?
Um, well secret ones.The"ant hill" is east a few miles and as far as what's under Keep going east you run into edwa rds, west is port whi neemee, north is Fort Tejon, Van den burg, south are all the aero spa ce companies (and you know how many there are), and the tunnels connect them and go everywhere.

Lots of stuff we don't know about.

Don

·
close enuff works for me
3,102 Posts
If the smoke is so thick ,that you cannot see,,, closing the road for a while will prevent accidents and deaths.. thick smoke can be as bad as fog.

·
6,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #6,652
The fire was on the leeward side, blowing away from the freeway.
South and east so closing the northbound made no sense.
Don

·
6,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #6,653
Up on blocks.
See the gap above the disc, yep it's loose.

All ready to go in the morning. Only transmission wires & linkage to disconnect and gas lines.
It was good timing the fun parts showed up.

Cam kit, includes roller lifters, springs, keepers, locks, seals, and the cam.

It was another fortunate find, after I thought about buying everything separate, I decided I'd be nuts not to buy the kit. After I did, the price rose by $240. wow!! Inflation!!

To go with the cam are some roller rockers with a higher ratio that the new springs will work with.

I'll take the stainless steel over aluminum any day.

Fun day, can't complain. When I was under the car at least I was in the shade. 😎

Don

·
Super Moderator
15,396 Posts
Don, this may be a dumb question but what's to keep it from rolling off the rear ramps when you lift the front

·
6,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #6,656
The ramps are dished, plus there is a three foot 2x4 wedged between the tire and the ground.
Parking brake set too.
The drive shaft came off easily as well as the exhaust bolts. The exhaust on that car is impressive, I'll get a couple pictures.
This is the first time I have seen it's belly. It's normally six or seven inches off the deck and the reason I had to buy a low floor jack.
Car's proly suffering from altitude sickness.
:p

Don

·
6,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #6,658
Car's up, engine's down.

Late shot

As you can see, I was doing catch and release today. :D
I put a catcher under the tranny tail and must have found a hole in it.
The front is just water/coolant remaining in the block.
I wish I could say it went off without a hitch, but hitches were plentiful but not really unexpected. If it wasn't for this thing called a torque arm that bolts from the differential to the tail of the tranny, it would have been a lot better. Thanks to all the engineers who made it a great car, except for the after lunch break design of the long 8"ish bolts thru the torque arm and tranny tail. The captive bolts cannot be removed without taking apart what is much like an engine mount with metal bands wrapped around the rubber interior.
Naturally you cannot separate it without a cutting implement.
Finally took the one bolt that could be removed and hammered out the last remaining bolt.
I must have spent two hours on it.
Then I was down to three nuts that needed to be removed. the three holding the exhaust pipe to the passenger side exhaust manifold. Can you guess who won that battle. . . . .
just a few remaining bolts holding the manifold on, shouldn't be too much more work and it will be out completely.
Notice I am supporting the car with jacks on top of the wooden whatch ama callits.
I know there is a word there , it's not in my tired little brain right now.
Then it will only be a matter of getting the engine on the stand.
A piece of cake!!
Nice that it did cool down here, around 86F today, nice and cool out now, 70 is good.

Don

·
6,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #6,660
LOL!!
It sure did, they never needed to think about removal but if they would have just turned the bolt around. . . .

Thanks Mikey,
good to hear from you!!

Don

6641 - 6660 of 7031 Posts