My Tractor Forum banner

6601 - 6620 of 6662 Posts

·
5K and there's still more
6,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #6,601
Still hot here, back in the 90's.
I have been collecting parts for some time now and the rest of the stuff will be here on Friday. I went out to clear off a spot on the driveway and get the TA moved but found out some mud daubers decided on living in the rear view mirror. So had to wait till night time to get rid of them. So. . . . I started disconnecting things in preparation of what's next.

Here is the before. . . .

Oh, joy. It's going to be fun, I only wish I was doing this in my new shop.

A 30 second video.

The TA

Don

·
3,212 Posts
I think it's a hot rod Chevy engine but I also missed out on the pre-plan briefing. :ROFLMAO: 🍻

Reactions: Donewrken

·
6,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #6,604
The TA has around 79,000 miles on it. It has needed a head gasket.
So while the engine is out, because it's more work than it's worth to try and replace it while the engine is still in the car. I want to refresh it and hopefully it will be good for another 79,000 if not more.
It's a 1997, LT1-Gen2 engine. The last year that GM made the LT1's they went to the LS engine in 1998. It would be cheaper for me to just swap it out with a junkyard pickup truck/midsize GM car LS engine and probably make more sense than it is to go thru the engine, but it has been trouble free to this point. Until I get into the engine I won't know for sure. This engine is unique in several ways, some things not popular such as the Opti-Spark ignition system rather than a distributor in the traditional way. It's as the name suggests is optically fired rather than magnetic pickup. The first versions had a problem with condensation fogging things up and a replacement at that time would be in the $1,000 range. $500 for the part and the rest in labor due to the fact it's mounted behind the water pump. That was remedied with the simple addition of a vacuum line and now days it is literally a $50 dollar item and for $60 you get one with 8.5mm plug wires. So right now I am planning on refreshing the engine.
To me that is just shy of a rebuild, meaning no shop work being done to the block but replacing the wear parts.
I have everything but the rings and bearings since I don't know what I will need until it is torn down.
My new parts include, Gaskets, head bolts, oil pump, new roller lifters, a mild cam, and roller rockers with a little higher lift with new valve springs that will work with the new geometry. The bearings and rings will most likely be standard, possibly .001 undersized on the bearings. Also a set of stainless steel headers but I might go with a cast iron set from Hooker Headers.
She's getting painted while the engine is out I'm painting the engine compartment. They didn't clear coat the engine compartment so it looks as bad as where it's pealed off.

. . . . . and. . . . yes in that sort of . . . .
kind of way. It's a GM LT1 gen 2 so it's not listed under Pontiac but you will find it the same as a Camaro engine and yes, it's a Hot Rod engine!!
the pre-plan briefing. :ROFLMAO: 🍻

I like that!!!

Don

·
6,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #6,605
The traditional way to remove the engine on the "F" body cars is to unbolt everything and lift the front and drop it down. The trouble is the cherry picker's legs get in the way and maneuvering the engine on dolly's is difficult.
Notice the boom's extended fully which could cause an off balance condition at the rear. It doesn't look as though it's been raised high enough in this picture, I bet it was lowered for the photo op.

The rear needs to be raised or the bumper will prevent lifting high enough.
Any idea how I might raise the car's front end?

I have a couple ideas. . . ..

Don

·
21,906 Posts
That was my first thought.

Reactions: Donewrken

·
6,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #6,607
I mentioned it being a bit warm here. . . .

I was going out to get a shot of the car this morning and observed 10 - 15 birds out front. Most flew off from the noise I made but a few hung around.

An oasis

I put the snow shovel under the hose but they would rather hang on the nozzle, until the sun has been shining on it.

Time to replace the washer, eventually.

Don

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Any idea how I might raise the car's front end?
Don
Obviously, your digger can easily lift the whole car, but how to rig it for safety?
funny you should ask, I made a new lift rig yesterday.
I can lift the Mercedes more than 3', of course jackstands aren't that high.

I made side links of 12mm rod, they loop over rods inserted into the lifting holes in the car body.

Stressed rod is 16mm [5/8"], spreader 1" pipe. Light enough to carry in one hand, strong enough for security.

·
6,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #6,609
That has been a concern, there are only a few jacking points other than the parts I will be removing.
I have brand new 4" straps but there is nothing to wrap around since the fenders bolt to more sheet metal and it's a T-top. All the pictures I have seen show a chain wrapped around the radiator support. I'll have to look it up, I have the Factory shop manuals for the car.
I've also seen it being raised by two floor jacks which seems rather sketchy to me being at the angle they will be once raised.
Bolting or clamping fixing points is not out of the question.
I'll do some more reading up on this prior to wrapping the chain around the radiator support but two or more safety devices still the rule here.
Also, it will be 800 lbs lighter, 2,670 lbs.

Don

·
Super Moderator
15,261 Posts
Buy yourself a two post lift and anchor it to the ground somehow. When you get your new shop built you will have your first piece of equipment ready to go in it.

·
Super Moderator
15,261 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,261 Posts
I mentioned it being a bit warm here. . . .

I was going out to get a shot of the car this morning and observed 10 - 15 birds out front. Most flew off from the noise I made but a few hung around.

An oasis

I put the snow shovel under the hose but they would rather hang on the nozzle, until the sun has been shining on it.

Time to replace the washer, eventually.

Don

Put a big bowl under that drip to catch the water so those poor birds can get a drink and take a bath!

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
We have about 8 birdbaths around our house; it's so dry, I set the lawn on fire grinding today.
And I was grinding inside, it was sparks that traveled about 12' that did the trick.

So; I'm thinking a spreader bar like I made, hang it from the digger arm and make some adapters to attach it to a lugbolt on each side. lift the whole car up, set stands under the body, after unattaching everything you can use the same rig to lower the subframe.
As the lugs are inboard of the fenders, you'd need to knock up some angle bracket like things to hang the car from.

·
21,906 Posts
To lift the body off of the drive train:

• 2x2x1/8" square tube spreader bar under the frame horns behind the rad support.
  • Lift the spreader bar.
If it weighs 2670 lb without the drive train, you are only lifting about 1300. Half the weight is on the rear wheels and the trunk area is counterweight. As the angle changes, the spreader bar can only move forward as far as the lifting chains will allow as they run up against the rad support. Optionally, clamp the spreader to the horns with C-clamps to hold in place so the chains don't put strain on the rad support.

You could also fab up a C-hook to reach under the frame to suitable lifting points. I made one for pulling the engines out of Chevy vans with a chain falls. Those engines sit directly under the dash and windshield.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
There we have it, 3 perfectly reasonable ideas to solve the problem; none of which Don will use of course!
No doubt, he's got his own plan.

I'm waiting for a Cat scan, laptop battery about to fail... bladder is on the edge too but they asked my to hold it.
Sorry, too much information!

Anyway, I'm not really a cat person. I'm going to ask if I can't have a dog scan instead.

·
3,212 Posts
Just be glad you've managed to avoid alien probing so far... although you might not remember anyhow. 🤞 :ROFLMAO:🍻

·
Registered
547 Posts
I'm waiting for a Cat scan, laptop battery about to fail... bladder is on the edge too but they asked my to hold it.
Sorry, too much information!
Hmmm...me too. I had a CT Scan also. Mine was Wednesday. I've been having heart palpitations and they said I have a mildly enlarged heart. And, of course, it's my own fault. Not eating properly, over weight, no aerobic exercise. A change in meds has pretty much cured the palpitations.
A farmer friend of mine was just told by his Doctor that he needs to walk 2 to 3 miles per day. As you can imagine, a farmer is busy all day, but it's just not the right kind of exercise. I think I need to change my ways!

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
I do walk 2-3 miles a day, but compared to how I used to exercise it's like sitting on the sofa.

So Joe has a big heart; what could be wrong with that??

After the scans I went to get my car inspected. 2 hour wait in 100 F heat.
Apparently there's been a law change and the sunstop film on the side windows is no longer allowed.
Does anyone know how to get it off?

The inspector brought out a special gizmo to measure the light passing through. 43% it said, minimum is 75%.
I think 75% is pretty much clear glass.

FAIL!

So it will be another 2 hour wait and $40 for a reinspection.
Maybe second one is cheaper; maybe I won't be there through the middle of the day.

·
3,212 Posts
Take it to a tint place and get it replaced with something a few shades lighter.

Same deal here, no tint on the front allowed and something something limit on the rear and sides.

6601 - 6620 of 6662 Posts