My Tractor Forum banner

6581 - 6600 of 6662 Posts

·
3,213 Posts
Don, I think you might be looking at Venus. Here's the skymap for July 23:

Cloudy again last night and rain this morning, no views here.

·
5K and there's still more
6,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #6,582
It might just be a UFO, it has gotten larger & brighter over two weeks.

Second brightest object in the sky next to moon!!!

Will have to look right after sundown.

Don

·
3,213 Posts
From SpaceWeather.com:

"Tomorrow night may be your best chance to see Comet NEOWISE (C/2020 F3) for the next 6,800 years. On July 23rd, the comet makes its closest approach to Earth--only 0.63 AU (103 million km) away. It's still visible to the naked eye (barely) from dark sky sites, but will fade as it recedes after this week."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Venus is about where you're aiming and is very bright indeed "the Morning Star", and would appear to be brightening since the Summer Solstice as the sun rises later each morning, especially over the past couple of weeks.

🍻

PS Don, do you have a 'smartphone'?

Reactions: Donewrken

·
6,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #6,584
I like the picture for tonight, it tells exactly where to look.

I'll be checken it out, baby. . . .
Unless the UFO is bigger/brighter.
THANKS!!

Don

·
3,213 Posts
Arrrrr ... 🖖 .... notice that you've circled the Sun, but in that rendering it is in the grey area below the horizon ie. not visible.

Use the moon and the Big Dipper for your reference. Your bearing should be about 310° .

I suppose we might be able to catch it the next time around... :ROFLMAO: 🤞 🍻

·
6,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #6,586
Well, I have this mountain blocking my view to the west. I'll have to drive around it and park on the other side. . . . .
Once on the other side there is yet another mountain range which is too far to drive over, the western side of the "central valley", the "coastal range". It's not as intrusive as the one I am living on though.

Should still be a reference point even below the horizon yeah?

Don

·
3,213 Posts
Well... it'd be hard, think of trying to use the moon as a reference in the daytime.

I edited my earlier post so maybe you didn't see, but do you have a cell phone of the smartphone variety?

·
6,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #6,589
Venus is about where you're aiming and is very bright indeed "the Morning Star", and would appear to be brightening since the Summer Solstice as the sun rises later each morning, especially over the past couple of weeks.
That makes sense.
(y)

Don

·
3,213 Posts
Didn't see it and no cell phone.
Turned it in when I retired.

Don
Roger, understood. (y)

IF someone around you has one you can download an app called 'SkyView'. IIRC it's free... what it does is to use the camera in the phone as a kind of telescope; it doesn't 'magnify' as such but when you point it at the sky, day or night, it'll superimpose a sort of sky map on the image you're seeing, and identify objects as you aim at them. Very cool stuff.

I hate my cellphone as a phone but as a tool for various other stuff it's amazing.

·
6,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #6,591
but as a tool for various other stuff it's amazing
That's the only thing that has gotten my interest in getting one.
I will proly wind up with one once I start the house.
I carried my laptop equipped with a USB GPS receiver all over the rock pile getting elevations for the topo map for the house plans. A cell phone with an app would have bee simpler. Not any more fun though!
Don

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
There are shockproof waterproof cell phones; I finally got one.
I didn't want a wafer thin $800 breakable thing in my pocket, and all the working people I know have broken screens on theirs [when I say 'working', readers of this thread understand my meaning].
Mine is annoying but it will do some useful things, like act as a mobile router for my laptop.
And it only cost $150.
We're all overcast these days and nights, so no comet viewing for us.

·
6,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #6,593
That's about all I would want to spend. I still refuse to spend that amount for the product & would rather drag my laptop around and do without the apps.
$150 -$200 tops.

We had clear skies last night but I think it was behind the mountain or just too much light pollution here now days.

Catch the live stream here in about a half hour.

NEOWISE Live Stream

Don

·
3,213 Posts
SkyView doesn't have Neowise programmed in (although it'd still help you find it), but for your desktop/laptop download "Stellarium". It is fantastic... like having a planetarium right in front of you. Once you input your coordinates it will give you an exact view of your sky, tagged and zoomable. It comes with a basic 600.000 starset and you can download further star libraries (up to 177 million stars) to the capacity of your machine. You can speed up time or go to any date, and some of the detail is amazing. Search too.

It's free, check it out: Stellarium Astronomy Software

·
6,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #6,596
Cool!!!
Glad I didn't accept the gift telescope a friend once offered.
It was their way to try and resolve a loan we made to them.
We decided it was a gift and didn't need anything from them.
They just could not figure that out.

It's what I have waited for. I always knew it would be available one day.

Don

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Home made hydraulic fitting; 3/4" to 1/2" 90 degree elbow.
I was going to use the 1/2" port that points in the right direction but it's too close the the quick couplings, it would always be a pain getting things on and off, and each time I would say to myself "Why didn't I make a custom fitting for the 3/4 port??"

It sticks out to the side a bit so I wanted it solid and close to the valve body.
Tomorrow I'll take the valve block off and paint it.

·
6,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #6,598
Looks factory!!
A man's got to do what he's got to do. . . . .

Nice job!! (y)

Don

·
6,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #6,600
Yeah, forget about that hurry hurry stuff.
We get to take our sweet time and enjoy the process.
The journey more than the destination.

Don

6581 - 6600 of 6662 Posts