My Tractor Forum banner

6381 - 6398 of 6398 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Nice find on the saw, Don. I wish I had the money and a building to make a descent shop. Instead, I'll have my shop vicariously through you guys!

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
That camshaft is showing signs of criminal negligence.

I was having some trouble with my mercedes coupe; it randomly turns off while driving, so I have to turn the key off and then on again. A bit spooky.
So I got a second hand ECU and stuck it in there; I got one with a matched immobilizer and key.

The thing is FAST now. I don't know if my old one was faulty, or if this one has been played with.
It's a 4 cylinder but it feels like a v8.
Ok, a small V8. Or s biggish 6. Anyway, wow.

Only now sometimes it refuses to start. the ECU says it can't talk to the automatic gear box, it doesn't know that it now lives in a manual shift car.

Oh well.

·
5K and there's still more
6,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #6,383
Nice find on the saw,
Thanks, Joe. Yeah, the thing is a tank with all that steel. It's the heavy weight of the five band saws and blade size king too. The others are the Jet, Craftsman, Shop Smith and Harbor Freight horizontal. Sadly it will be out on the driveway with the HF and Craftsman table saw once it's tuned up. I am out of room out there until the new shop is done.

I got one with a matched immobilizer and key.
That's important!
It sounds like you are reaping a benefit from it thinking it's still an automatic. I bet it's confused since it's always in low gear (1st) but any speed sensor tells it differently. Hopefully it wont go into limp mode and slow down.

Definitely criminal starving an engine of oil. Speaking of confused ECU's, the security light was flashing when I turned the key on and then hit the starter. The disable is to leave it key on, not running for 10 minutes. Then the light goes out, turn the key off and start as usual.
Only I was turning the motor over without plugs just to pump some oil. Then I decided to do a compression test since the plugs were out anyway. The first two cylinders tested, the ones that were 60lbs previously, 3&4 now reading 155lbs. I thought I'd take it one step farther and do a wet test, I think all the cranking - no start woke up the security and the starter no longer worked. Then it just stayed dark, nothing happened when I turned the key on. Time to disconnect the battery and go inside and order parts. LOL!! I hooked up the battery charger for good measure.
i suppose the good news was the injectors were wet, and I had already proven the plugs do fire, so next time I'm going for the engine start. Sure hope the compression doesn't disappear!!
Don

·
6,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #6,384
The saw, it works!!
It has a funny sound like a piece of plastic bouncing around, it might be the fan in the motor.
Rusty old blade goes round and round.
It takes a 93"x 3/4" blade, the ones I ordered/found are .035 so thicker than the smaller blades .032 so that helps them last longer. One guy's shop has gotten 6 years out of one blade, doesn't say how much it's used though.

Don

·
6,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #6,385
Hey all.
Hope everyone has had an appropriate Memorial day, sure an unusual one this year taking time out for all those recent inclusions.
🙏

On another note, I mentioned the rattling sound the band saw makes. I had a chance to make a couple of cuts and found a couple of things.
The first being a wobbly pulley, it was loose on the motor shaft.
So I replaced it with this one.

It is a nice tight fit on a somewhat out of round motor shaft, but not too bad.
The other pulley that is mounted to the gear box is also wobbly but I have never seen anything like it before. It seems to be some type of a clutch type connection. Has anyone seen one of these?

It does not want to simply slide off of the pinion gear shaft and I wanted to learn more about it before I did something I might regret later. The bolt sits off center and there is a keyed slot that the square thingy indexes. Oh, it's wobbly too which is why I am trying to correct it.

New blades, three for one pricing, made in Minnesota, USA.

Plane wrapped and packed, I added extra ties so they wouldn't spring on me as one would not prevent that from happening. Sure not complaining for the price just pointing out a hazard.

Don

·
Registered
518 Posts
In the 4 years I worked at the paper bag plant, I only had to put a new blade on the band saw one time. It's a little scary uncoiling the new blade because you don't know if it's gonna get away from you. Gotta have some good leather gloves. Of course with about 17 other guys using that thing, some don't care. It belonged to a "maintenance" shop, but didn't get any maintenance!

·
6,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #6,387
Yeah, they are no fun when they go sproonnnngggg. And it was just the little 9" Jet saw blade. LOL!! but the teeth were little needles I was putting on a blade for soft wood so there were like 4-6 teeth per inch. It all came out like a jack in the box.
Nothing like the band saws we had in wood shop class, those were 12-14 feet in diameter Teacher showed us how it was done, he'd been there since rocks were invented I think. Also went to our church. Nice guy.

I was hoping you knew all about that pulley. :confused:

Don

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
My wood bandsaw blade is 5 meters; can't find it ready made anywhere.
Just a few years ago I could still get custom lengths for little money but it seems that's changed now.

In a shed in rural NH, my deceased friend's bandsaw blade welding machine sits, unknown, unloved, alone.

Sorry, I also can't help with the pulley; could it be just some home-made added bits to screw it the shaft?

·
6,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #6,391
Oh no!!! It's custom "after market"

The factory pulley is a multiple type, this one has been welded on in it's place. The shaft on the other end holds the pinion gear. I really do not want to disturb that portion of the saw since reading the adjustment procedures for setting back lash. It said the mounting bolt holes are over sized so to set the lash just loosen the bolts and push it over, then re-tighten the bolts.
I probably will but I'll wait until the parts get here so I can try it out with coolant/lube.
I cut two pieces of 1/4"x2" flat bar and the blade was still cold.
It's a piece of square tubing with other stuff.

Don

·
Registered
518 Posts
I remember either seeing a blade welded or maybe I welded one. I can't remember, but I think it was in high school shop class.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
He showed me the blade welder 40 years ago; he'd picked it up at an auction or something, and was very pleased with it. I remember there were 2 heavy clamps that held the blade ends in position, then he hit a button and a blue arc appeared at the gap, and that was it. I don't know if there was flux, or how the cuts were prepared, but he bought blade in a long coil in a box.

DIY system is to feather the ends and silver braze them.
It seems like 99% of saws are some standard length and made up blades are too easy to buy for anyone to bother with all that anymore.

I only paid 10 euros for my 1" wide 5 meter bandsaw blade, but now I can't find it under 50. So I sharpened it, which was pretty easy, but the teeth needed setting.
I found an old 'sawset' tool on ebay, but bu the time I got it I'd drifted on to other projects.

I want to use the bandsaw to cut planks from my own pine logs; wood is crazy expensive here.
The logs are heavy and my back isn't. It might take a while before I get it together.

·
6,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #6,394
I've silver soldered blades with mixed results. I made a simple jig out of 1/4" flat bar to hold the ends & was able to solder a broken blade or two. If I had a better torch it would have made a difference. I'm like you, found other interests.
I've seen video's on Harbor Freight bandsaw blade welders. They haven't made any for years now. They seemed to work really well. There was an old 12 volt welder that was supposed to be a nice one too. I would love to find one. Then again, I could TIG it. :p

I spent a little over two hours bulldozing my weeds today, that was fun. It made me wish I had a six way blade instead of just a four way. It's like having a box blade with no tilt. So I just needed to slow down and adjust the blade height more often since the property has more features than flatness. LOL!!
It is a bit smoother than it was this morning.

Don

6381 - 6398 of 6398 Posts