My Tractor Forum banner

6361 - 6380 of 6398 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Yep, I didn't go far. I think the only way to get email notifications is to post something every day or so.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Or at least click the link in the e-mail.

Don

I've started keeping the last email so after a week or more has gone by and my feeble brain says, 'Hey! I ain't been on My Latest Project in a while!', I just click on the email link again.

·
5K and there's still more
6,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #6,365
Yesterday started out rainy.
Then things got better, I needed to put the excavator to work and that's always a good thing.
A friend stopped by with the band saw in the back of his truck for me to look at. At first look, I was not real enthused but the more I looked the better it got.
It has some nice features.
He said what he wanted, I told him what I'd pay and the next thing I knew I was swinging the bucket of the excavator over the back of his truck and hooking a chain to my new band saw.

It was missing the front casters so I spent the next hour making something that would work.
I finally rolled it in the shop and closed the door. It came from the same place the the mill came from, this time free delivery. LOL!! It has some extra steel, and a large hand wheel. Here is the end view

The hand wheel connects the one inch threaded rod for the clamping mechanism. Which includes a ratchet type adjuster that attaches to the 1/2" thick cast iron clamping plate.

It has a couple of heavy duty springs.

It has a cast iron fence along with another ratchet device.

It uses a 3/4" x 93" blade.

I like the power switch.

Here is an ebay add for the saw.

My saw doesn't have the coolant pump which is OK, too much trouble.
I found a deal on the bay for three blades, delivered for $36 bucks. The price of one Lenox blade.
I didn't pay anywhere near what the one above is going for.
Think $200 was fair?
It helps make all the missing lathe parts a little less aggravating.

Don

·
Premium Member
514 Posts
Wow Don! That's a great score!

I paid $165 for my clapped out power hacksaw which a much slower saw than a band saw.

Everytime I see a use band saw for sale here, it's always above $700 for a clapped out and rusty saw.

·
6,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #6,367
Yeah, I was surprised when he started off at $300. I countered and that was it.
His boss removed a box full of attachments that were supposed to go with the lathe when I bought it so this helps to even that out.
It is in good shape but I'll go thru the gear box and oil it all up.

Don

·
Premium Member
514 Posts
Definitely go all over it.

These saws on a shop, are usually the most overlooked tool around. All the workers will randomly use it, but no one will take some time to oil or check things before run it and let it sit for the next guy.

·
6,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #6,370
Well, OK.
You'll like what I ordered.
Course it will take two weeks or more to get here.
By then maybe I will have had time to do the maintenance on the saw & finished up the car repairs.
Yeah, I'm sure the use of coolant will be worth the effort. The blades for this saw are twice the price of my little band saw. Always a sad thing when you realize the blade is getting dull.
:confused:

Don

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
I was looking for a little pump for my saw, and was surprised that I didn't find anything suitable. I found big ones, but not little ones.
So I repaired the old one, which was a really silly amount of work.
But the work worked and now it works.

·
6,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #6,372
I was looking for a suitable pump for less than the $100-$150 pumps that are purpose built and settled on one that should work for my needs. If it doesn't work out I can find another use for it. It's more of an agricultural type like what would be used in a sprayer.
Otherwise I can get by with just a fountain pump for $10-$12 bucks. People in the reviews say they run 24-7 for 5 years before needing replacement so part time on a saw should last for ever if I keep the chips out of it. I think a small diaphragm pump could work.
Check this one out.
DIY double acting pump

No, not like that one!!
LOL!!

Don

·
Premium Member
514 Posts
The pump on mine was a mechanical pump ran by the main motor. It wore out so bad in it's life that it won't pump anymore and it's a pain to bleed during the short time it works.

I completely gave up on it and just took the belt out. Now I mounted a small reservoir with a ball valve and just set it to drip when I'm using the saw.

I've thought about mounting a water pump from a washing machine but never did it yet, because I don't use the saw that often and the drip system works just fine and don't waste too much coolant that way. Also the coolant doesn't sit in the tank just getting bad over time.

For a band saw, it's needs flood coolant all the time though.

·
6,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #6,374
I canceled my order for one $5 bucks less. Big savings , no less flow though. Should work OK.

PUMP

If not, I'll take it camping.
For a filter, I thought a 2 cycle gas line filter would work. Or maybe aquarium air line bubbler thingys.

Don

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Mine runs on a belt from the saw motor, like Pedro's.
It's so simple, I thought if I can't fix it I'll just make the whole thing. No intake filter, it draws from above the tank bottom.
Whatever you use has to be able to handle both oil and water.
And the fluid likes to escape onto the floor.
I made 2 steel collars to clamp the soft plastic halves together, then 2 disks for the screws. New seal in there too.

·
6,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #6,377
And the fluid likes to escape onto the floor.

I sort of expected that.
The saw's chip catcher needs fixing, split down one side.

That's a nice pump!!
My pump will have a 12v transformer.

I found another use for a lathe.

Polishing cams

I know it's horrible, but it's not my ride. Well I hold the pink slip.
The new lifters should help the low oil for cam issue, the front lifters were dry. The oil became less plentiful the closer you got to the front, the back four were not bad though!
LOL!!

Don

6361 - 6380 of 6398 Posts