I made them from 6" weldable pipe end caps; these things are really thick, more than 1/4", and not cheap either. Around $20 each.
But they look great.
They had to be cut inside as the sides are slightly tapered.
I bought the stainless for it new as well, so these are expensive bits of bling for my battered old tractor.
They came out really nice!!
I think you got a bargain on the caps, easily twice that here.
Nice attachments too.
I welded the pivot to the quick attach.
I wound up with more movement than I had hoped for. It was hard to tell with the cardboard cutouts I used to layout the pivot but it looked like 50° and I am close. It's more than 45° but my speed square & framing square were hiding so no exact measurement.
There should be enough weld to keep it attached, hopefully.
I think it will be fun trying to knock the bucket off anyway!
Actually, I'm not sure there is enough weld there; hard to tell from the photo of course.
The force on that will be awesome, and will tend to tear the weld from one end.
consider added some gussets and/or webbing,
Six passes on the front weld, four on the other side then the same on the other one. I started at 170 amps, after the second pass I was down to around 130. That was with 7018, 5/32".
I will be adding a few more passes tomorrow after the new gun for the Hobart arrives, If for nothing else to try it out. The old one has seen better days even relined it once, I couldn't get enough heat out of it and it's worn out after several 40lb spools of wire. The new gun was not much more than another liner would have cost, it's supposed to be better than the OEM which is the same as a Miller.
I am adding gussets, that was all I had time for yesterday.
If and when I knock the bucket off, I will try it again.
That's the spirit!
I saw a digger working near my place the other day with a single tooth attachment instead of a bucket, breaking up rock.
Fairly soft rock, obviously; too hard for a small bucket but hammer not required this way.
I went back to get a picture next day but he'd done the job and moved on.
I get lucky now and then.
It works great!!
It very well made, brand name is"Yes" welding supplies.
I bought one of there helmets with the "new" clear view. It's rated at 1-1 which is the top tier optically.
It has more of a bluish tint rather than the moss green so everything is easier to see. The only down side is the head band is a piece of junk. I followed the advice of one of the reviewers and sprung for a head band by Lincoln, which added another $30 bucks. Still it's a great helmet for about a hundred bucks and has replaceable components. It even came with a bag. Oh, cheater lenses fit perfect, my new 3x is glass not scratchy plastic.
I had a Lincoln mask, the battery failed after 2 years and it's a sealed unit.
So I got a cheapo one that has a shutoff switch and replaceable battery but the pivot is a total PITA, it won't stay up [cue more hard / soft jokes...]
So why didn't I ever think of putting the Lincoln headband on the Chinese mask?
I know, were so ridiculously easy to amuse. . . . .
exactly why I bought the head gear , the thing is so unbalanced the little nubs won't hold the helmet in place and it continually wants to slam shut. It took about 10 seconds to convince me it had to go. Lincoln head gear beats up on Miller, at least the two I had purchased that came missing parts and went back.
I know the motor I planned on using does not have gears to strip, I am less confident that it would stay parked where I want it to be so plan B.
The draw back is I will loose some of the movement but what's 10 degrees in the grand scheme of things.
Instead of the roughly 50 degrees of motion I thought I would have each side, it might be more like 45.
That is with a basic connection without any linkage involved.
The two piece bracket, (1/2" plate) will weld to the pivot and have a one inch removable pin that will drop in from the top and secured with a bolt or clip.
Will have to wait and see how it's going to work out.
. . . . and I can always fall back on plan "C", whatever that is.
Rats! I forgot to put the plugs back in.
Oh, the cylinder is a 2" bore and 8 inch errr, travel.
It's 17" and 24",
shesh, this is getting bad.