My Tractor Forum banner

5921 - 5940 of 7028 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Good looking couple. My hair was about that long back in that timeframe. Now it's mostly missing!

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Ah, when we were young and good looking...

Electric ceramic kiln.
I heated to 830C, quenched in water, then 2 hours at 550C and now cooling in air.
There has been some oxidization at the surface, I hope dimensions haven't changed significantly or I'll have to start again.

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
Those hooks are a must Mark. Makes hooking up implements really nice and easy. Although, it works much better with the telescopic stabilizers, instead of the turnbuckle style ones as it keeps the arms in place. It takes all that work of lifting the arms by hand to align them up with the pin on the implement away.

That's also a very good price. Last ones I priced for a Cat 1 was like 250€ for a set. I've made a couple of sets of balls for me, I believe I've showed it before. I need at least 2 more sets though.

Here is a Portuguese online store for tractors parts. Let me know if you need any help finding what you need since they don't offer a English version for the website. ROTULAS (BOLAS) E CASQUILHO DE ENGATES

Don, it's looking good. Those welds are coming in nice!

Very nice picture as well. :)

·
Super Moderator
15,396 Posts
Hey Don, Nothing wrong with the 70's look.

Attachments

Reactions: Donewrken

·
5K and there's still more
6,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,925
Thanks Larry.

That Texas Instruments LED digital watch pegs the date pretty good. (y) '76~'77?
Actually 80's, probably more like a PAC MAN watch. I'd go thru gallons of quarters with the guy's after work since I really sucked at video games. Oh wait, that was beer by the gallons, no wonder why I sucked at video games.

And the BeeGee's hair too!
Aww, come on you guy's there was long hair in the 80's too.
Remember movies like Honeysuckle Rose with Willie and On the Road Again. Or The Gambler with that guy Kenny.
The Long Riders, Silverado, Lust in the Dust, Bronco Billy.
A lot of long hair.
I was going for the western look, wink. You can tell by the cowboy shirt and boots.

My hair was about that long back in that timeframe. Now it's mostly missing!
I think the ROLF little guy might be the wrong message so, I'm sorry Joe, but it was sort of funny in, you know, that sort of way.
Ah, when we were young and good looking...
So long ago . . . .

In fact so long ago it made me look up the movies and then look up paperwork and I realized I miscalculated, what should have been 39 years, not 35 years!!! So thank you all for helping me pull my head out and look up the stats.
See there, as I have always said, all comments welcome here. . . .
and appreciated.

Don, it's looking good. Those welds are coming in nice!

Very nice picture as well. :)
Thanks, Pedro.
By the way, I'm jealous of your cutters and bench. I did buy a set of three HSS 8mm x 600 now if I can get a better grip on them, they do fit my tool holder just at the wrong height.

Mark, how did the baking turn out? I was wondering if you were going to treat them by color or temperature.

Drilling my tapered hub and plate, If I continue drilling and then cut at the correct location I would have a chain coupler sprocket. Or uncut I can just bolt it to the other sprocket but would not have the anti shock functionality.

Correlation between sprocket size and hole size? Notice the center punch marks made with half inch center finding punch, the chain size is 50.
Hmmmm,!
If bolted together - no space between the motor shaft connection to the bucket, I like the idea of the space keeping from pounding on the motor. Now if I can find the chain.

Don

·
Super Moderator
3,949 Posts
Lol... Ronin in '80(?)

Yeah that hair is gone gone gone. Grew a beard instead. :LOL:

Reactions: mopar65pa

·
6,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,927
Well, it's a look.
You know to each their own.

I mean far be it for me to comment, I used to be wild and woolly, then just woolly, now days not so much. . . .

Shortish hair and clean shaven now.

Don

·
Super Moderator
3,949 Posts
Well I got a little more than that... and beard is less snowflake and more ZZ Top. :cool:

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Thanks Pedro, that site is great for balls and toplinks too.
At 10 euros I was considering making them, but at under 5 they have the balls.
I haven't checked the delivery costs yet though.

My steel didn't end up as hard as I would have liked; I think I used too much heat during tempering. I'm getting more info for next time.
I tested against known hard and mild steel samples with a file, a drill, and a punch. I can't really tell how hard it got. As hard as an 8.8 bolt at least.

Before using the oven, I heated a small cutoff piece with a torch until it was orange and dropped it in a bucket of water. That lump is so hard drill bits skit over the surface and a sharp carbide lathe tool chatters against it.
Of course it will be too brittle for most applications, but it shows the potential of the material.

2 of the heat treated rods are the beam supports for my press; at full pressure the first rods, 24mm mid steel, bent.
The new ones, C45 heat treated, do not bend with the same force. So something happened at least.

·
Super Moderator
3,949 Posts
Have you tried tempering in oil?

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Have you tried tempering in oil?
Hardening is done by high heat and rapid cooling in oil or water; I used water. It's faster, cheaper, and doesn't burn.

Tempering is the second stage, reheating to a moderate temperature and cooling slowly to make the metal ductile again while keeping most of the hardness.

I think I lost too much hardness there, but I'm not sure.

·
Administrator - We’re all friends here
14,547 Posts
Well, Mark, it wouldn't be fair to the rest of us if you didn't. ;)

·
Parts collector
3,522 Posts
Well, it's a look.
You know to each their own.

View attachment 2446484

I mean far be it for me to comment, I used to be wild and woolly, then just woolly, now days not so much. . . .

Shortish hair and clean shaven now.

Don

Ha ha I see you have the same barber as I do. ;)

·
6,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,938
Ha ha I see you have the same barber as I do. ;)
LOL!!!

I had to pin the front of the errr, pin and avoid previous drilled and tapped holes.
I tacked the 1/2" plate and the pin, then proceeded to drill three holes. Going slow and carefully, I made it through the first 1/2" plate but as soon as I hit the second plate I knew it was going to be rough going.
That plate when welded to the 3/8"x2"x4" angle iron toed in about 1/4". To bend it back I used a scissor jack, the weed torch & the TIG welder to finally get enough heat into the metal for the bend to stay.
In other words I created one hard piece of steel. Determined to drill and tap it as well as the first plate I continued drilling the three for about another hour changing bits often. I didn't drill completely through it fearing I would break the bit off. I used a LOT of bits and didn't break a single one. Tapping went well, except what I thought was a 5/16" tap wound up being metric so my assortment of SAE set screws were useless. I did have some bolts that will work and they are stainless.

It weren't no softie, that's for sure!

Don

·
6,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,939
Another view.

The swivel portion that welds to the quick attach.

Now to wait for the rain to stop so I can take the quick attach off of the stick.

Don

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
How many drill bits?
Geez, that's a lot of effort.

I moved a couple of tons of old wood to the burning pile; don't be impressed, I used the fel pallet forks for 90% of it.
And pulled my back on one log...
So I think tomorrow is a good day to sit on my backside and get my taxes done.

I forgot to take a picture before assembly, but that's a 40mm ss rod cut out to hold a 25mm ss rod cut and tapped for the 12mm dome nut. I tightened the nut, drilled them through, then took it apart and cut the large bore slightly deeper.
So now when the nut is tightened the holes are pulled out of line clamping the rod.
Works very well.

5921 - 5940 of 7028 Posts