My Tractor Forum banner

5801 - 5820 of 5932 Posts

·
Parts collector
2,970 Posts
You need to spend more time at the beach!!!
Ya know there was always something more appealing about the swim ware the ladies wore at the beach than what they wore in the mountains.

Saddles Hawaiian print Jams and pocket tee shirts was all we needed. 😁😁

Don

I hate sand! It gets places I don't want it to get into. The wood stove in the basement is fired up and the floors are warm, and it smells good in here. I'll take 2"s of snow with sleet on top of it and the wood stove burning over 90* any day! :ROFLMAO:

·
5K and there's still more
6,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,802
LOL!!!

Your right about the sand!!!

I used to dread the days working in the Mojave Desert when it was 112° and they would have all the trenches open on a new housing tract, hurry up and get - r - done!! They want to backfill the trenches.
Some days not even a breeze and just stinken hot, other times blowing hard enough that they would close the freeway down so the trucks wouldn't blow over, and the sand got in everywhere!!
I lost the camper shell off of my truck going to work one day, It used to look like a Suburban shell painted to match the truck. I looked in my rear view just at the time the whole front of the shell was standing vertical only being held on at the driver side rear corner and then . . . . . .
it flew like a kite until it was over the middle of the opposing traffic lanes and landed upside down spinning like a merry go round.

Don

·
Super Moderator
15,178 Posts
I'm not planning on taking it with me when I go. . . .

Don

One thing I have never seen is a U-Haul trailer in a funeral procession.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
I've been doing some driving; OH had a medical procedure on Thursday and we had to leave before dawn, go far, wait all day before coming home after dark.
Friday I had my tractor licence test, also far away, 2 hours drive on country roads in heavy fog before dawn.
A town called Beja; castle on a hill and all. Many tractors, the place is packed with them. Old, new, big, small, tractors all around.
So I saw a hedge cutter on a new JD at a JD dealer. 4 x 24" carbide tipped saw blades on an arm. I took a lot of pictures with my 'smart' phone but the card wasn't mounted right and they're all lost.
But it got me thinking, you bet.
The machine's blades are driven by a PTO hydro pump unit, but the controls use the tractor hydraulics. Interesting idea, the pump and motor are directly connected without controls, you use the pto control to operate the blades.

A single 24" blade cutting through 10" of wood would want 8HP or more, and I think that thing was built to deliver 30+ HP to the 5 blades [I wasn't able to read any numbers].
But if cutting brush, 5 hp should keep them spinning.
That could be done from my existing hydraulics. Maybe.

I also went to a specialty steel shop near Lisbon that a neighbor told me about. Such lovely material! Big rod, tube, engineering grades.
I bought the drawn flat for my new [reciprocating] cutter blade holders.

The spinning blade head would be an expensive build.

·
Premium Member
2,914 Posts
Wouldn't that be something...you have the gravesite service, just happens to be next to a cordoned off pit, then as it's winding up, the priest goes something like "And Dave really wanted to take it with him when he went." and then everyone hears the beep-beep-beep of a dump truck backing up to the pit and dumping his stuff in...

·
6,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,806
I hope it all went well for her at the Dr. and speedy recovery.
Too bad about the pictures, shame for it to happen to those particular pictures.
Interesting adventure for the license and introduction to another culture's way of life.
How did the translation go with the head set?
So that system, was that a pilot valve working on the main tractor hydraulics with the workload on the PTO?
Interesting system with all those cutters.

Don

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
It's a shame to have to write this all in words when those pictures would have told you all everything with less work and more fun.
The thing was bolted to the front of the tractor [one-off mounting plate I suppose], could tilt right only, square tube in tube for telescoping extension, head could pivot maybe 120 degrees. all quite simple.
3 or 4 small rams controlled by solenoids.
Big hoses, 3/4 or 1" went from the cutting motor around the cab to the PTO driven pump unit, with filter, cooler, and reservoir.
The blades all turned the same direction, staggered over and under maybe 3/4" clearance. Drive was in a box with motor on top, I turned one and they all moved quite ridged, probably chain in there.
1 hydraulic motor for all 5 blades.
I've seen things like this on youtube, and bigger ones too, but never seen one in person.
This one looked new, but had been used; probably just for demo.
It would be great to know how much power is really needed for it to work. That's where I had trouble with my build, I just had to guess a number.
The other thing is working experience, how the cut material behaves, whether it jams the works or flies away. Videos always show things going great, they edit out the boring parts where things go wrong, but that's the educational part.

I asked in the shop for a spec sheet but he didn't have one; he asked where I lived and when I told him he gave me a card for a dealer closer to me.

Take it with you when you go; well I think more than a Uhaul would be required for most of us!
Don with the new excavator would take a good while digging a really big hole.
Please slide my whole metal shop container right in there, I'll be like an Egyptian or Viking, buried with all my favorite stuff.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
I'd leave the boat.

Ok, I'l take one boat, just for the viking theme.

Indeed, to do the job in reasonable time a larger excavator is required.
25m long, 5m wide, and about 3 tall + a few meters of soil to keep the jackals and scrap metal dealers off.

·
6,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,811
to keep the jackals and scrap metal dealers off.

Ha!!

Gots ta watch dem scrap dealers!!
I find the market here they are the car sales men of the old days. They gain your confidence and then. . . .
You get the good prices the first couple of purchases, and then the prices creep up.
I'm going to get a new quote since I know what they wanted for the good stuff so I'm gona ask for a price on the common steel. It should be a third less or more.
He wants to charge me more for 1-1/4" stainless steel than he is getting for 1-1/2" & still lists as by the pound.
1 - 1/2" x .200 wall vs 1 - 1/4" x .191 wall - go figure.
Delivery is nice and saves me a minimum of three hours, more like 4-5 hours by the time I'm done looking at everything, plus gas for a hundred mile round trip. I guess that delivery's worth the little extra I pay.
I only have to drive my truck up to the street and we off load from they semi right into mine. Then I just back down and pull it out when needed. At least I can make room to work on the concrete in front of the big door and this time of year not have to worry about burning down the neighborhood. Summer time would be sketchy.
The supplier in the desert hasn't given me a price yet, I'm hoping they beat my usual guy.
They are having a special on some steel I need for the staircase that runs till the end of next month, about $100 +
off on 1/4" x 3" x 6" x 20' rectangle box steel. I'll ask for a price match and see how it goes.
LOL!!
They'd just nail me on the other stuff.

Don

·
Parts collector
2,970 Posts
With all the deaths I have seen/heard about in the last 20 days yeah. It makes you think about what is important. You can't take it with you and all you leave behind is memories.

·
Super Moderator
15,178 Posts
With all the deaths I have seen/heard about in the last 20 days yeah. It makes you think about what is important. You can't take it with you and all you leave behind is memories.
There is nothing wrong with having possessions. But you are right, we need to keep priorities straight. When we make our possessions more important than our relationships and the people in our lives then it's a problem.
As we age that comes more into focus especially when we start experiencing more death around us.
There are things that happen to us on our journey that can give us a whole new perspective on life. Right Don?

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
Is this anything close to what you saw, Mark?

These things along with other variations are very common here because it's used on Orchards and Vineyards. Crazy expensive though.

Found a couple of manufacturers of this pruner. One is a slightly different style. Italians are usually the main producers of this specialty attachments.

In Beja, there is an huge Ag Fair happening in the last week of April and first week of May. They usually have loads and loads of tractors, attachments and so on. You might have better luck there as you can actually see it in person.

It's quite a ways from you, but it might be worth take a day off to go see some of stuff there.

·
6,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,815
!00% Larry.

For me it's like the song hiding in the desert skies . . . .
and when I die, let me die with a dream in my mind
a smile on my face
and no troubles behind
and no cross on my grave to show my residence place (because I won't be there)
I'll already be off on a new adventure! (so no "rest in peace" either)
Having a dream in my mind is important to me, without that, what else is there.
Possibility thinking goes hand in hand with creativity, I wouldn't want to be without any of them,
it would only be existing, not living.

I've said for years, if there is going to be a service for me
those attending do not be sad for me, I simply moved on
AND
Play Free Byrd!!!
This one.

then tell them all to leave
(like the John Candy movie where he's at a Chinese restaurant
and the lady says "you go home now! go away!!)
LOL!!

Don

·
10,189 Posts
I have been following along but noticed I haven't posted a Mikey update in awhile. I've been enjoying everyones projects from a far however

December was a crazy month, too many things to even say however a lot of issues in life worked out and I ended up landing a robotic programming job which I started the 6th of January with a world wide company. So far I am 2 weeks in and love it, the people are great, the work environment is awesome and I am learning lots. The benefit and pension package was also more than I expected. It will also have a lot of robot service and travel so I hope to be able to see many other MTF members in my travels.

Beyond that I have been tinkering on the Sears fleet still. Been busy putting new seals in the transmission and just retorqued the case today. I am repainting some shifter components and then it will be ready to put back in the frame. After finding the shift tower full of crap, I am excited for it to shift like new again so I can enjoy using it once again since it has always been a bear to shift

This year's project list will be rather short as I am working on purchasing a family property so I am saving more than toys. I did also purchase a new daily driver vehicle, an '03 GMC Sierra Z71 4x4 that was my Uncle's. I have a 50km round trip commute to work now and wanted to keep miles off the Focus. It has lots of new parts already that he put in but needs a few things

I hope to finish some small projects I have around, such as a Tecumseh HH100 that has to be put back together and painted after being fully rebuilt a few years back, get my Sears 38" 3pt hitch rotospader going (since I never touched it after I pulled it from a friend's field where it laid for 20 years), as well as I decided to get the 39" front snow blower going for the Suburban that I purchased in a package deal since no one is interested in it. I have it listed very low IMO and no takers, so may as well play with it a bit.

I'm hoping 2020 is going well for all the Don hoe thread members, and please keep sharing your projects. I have been living thru you guys when I am too busy to touch my own :)

And some pictures of course!

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

·
6,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,817
Mikey, congrats on the new job!! Glad you moved on from the last place, you were out of your element somewhat.
Great deal on the truck I bet, Like the brand and model, that was what I had in mind until the stretch limo caught my eye.
One day I'm making a short bed out of it! LOL!!
Great pictures, tells the story there, still way too many gears!!
Thanks for the well wishes and to you and your newest new start.
I hope you have a great year as well, your definitely off to a terrific start.

Thanks for checking in, your fans here will appreciate it too, always god to hear from you.

Don

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
The saw I saw was similar to those but a different design; nothing rocket science in there.

My hedgecutter does well with movement and reach, but the reciprocating blades have a limit where they jam.
I'm working on changes that I hope will improve it a lot, maybe 3 x more cutting power. But however strong it is, there will still be a limit to the material it can cut.
And it has a problem with material falling back into the cutters.

The rotating blades look like they'd work better; it's hard to tell from videos because they're edited and usually advertisements.
One of the links from Pedro goes to a website of a company that makes reciprocal ones like mine, they use similar power to my machine, and they sell the spinning blade type as well with a PTO pump.
So they seem to want more power.
Carbide wood blades not too expensive, spindles DIY for free, bearings would add up, sprockets and chains, a motor, need bigger hoses for sure, then if it turns out it really has to have it, add a separate power unit more hose, more money.

The fair would be fun but the drive from here to Beja is pretty rough.
My experience in Portugal is that they almost always want far more money than I'm willing to pay for stuff, and I leave disappointed.

5801 - 5820 of 5932 Posts