My Tractor Forum banner

5781 - 5800 of 5869 Posts

·
Parts collector
2,884 Posts
We both fell in love with Sardinia and talked of retiring there. However, with my Mom, 4 siblings, 6 kids, 10 grandkids and 7 great grandkids here in the States; we thought that may not be too practical!
Thus the reason my wife and I are only moving an hr from where we are now. And with 30 acres of woods and farm land the grand-kids/kids came come up and visit and play. 😁 Plus we can go down and visit easy enough.

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
Interesting read, Mark. I remember when I was in the Navy, that we went to Lisbon; and I was very impressed. I also liked Malaga, Spain. Sardinia, Italy also impressed me. Then, a few years ago, my wife and I had an opportunity to go to Sardinia. We both fell in love with Sardinia and talked of retiring there. However, with my Mom, 4 siblings, 6 kids, 10 grandkids and 7 great grandkids here in the States; we thought that may not be too practical!
Feel free to come to Portugal to spend your retirement here Joe. You are more than welcome. I'm pretty Mark could use a wing man that speaks the same language with all that hedge cutting going on.

·
5K and there's still more
6,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,784
I'm pretty Mark could use a wing man that speaks the same language with all that hedge cutting going on.

I'm about ready to go for a visit!!
Don't care what mopar says, 30° and 27 MPH wind is cold.

Darn auto focus, with the long lens on the camera and zoomed out, I still gets clear shots of the tree branches

I'm glad I didn't just hop in the truck and go get the steel for the tilt bucket. When I added up the weight on my shopping list,, I came up with 642 pounds and that doesn't include the 30 pound motor, hoses and welding rod.

I'm going to have to down size a bit and go with a much more landscaping theme in mind.

Oh, wait! I already downsized the main part to 5/16" and 3/8" sides.
The quick attach brackets were going to be 3/4" and it weighs in at 30lb per foot soooo. . . . . .

I also decided to add another attachment to the list, a plate compactor. Which starts out as a 30lb chunk of steel and adds a hydraulic motor and counter weight. I think maybe I should start off with it and maybe get back to the tilt bucket. I really thought the bucket would have been in the 350 - 400 pound class.

Smaller bucket, Smaller bucket, Smaller bucket, Smaller bucket,

Don

·
6,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,785
Oh, I saw a video and thought it fit the theme, what ever that means.
I'll try and post it.

That didn't work, let me try posting it over. . . . .

Remember folks you can do without a selfy of an avalanche & never try to pass one in the other lane!!
Don

·
Registered
470 Posts
Feel free to come to Portugal to spend your retirement here Joe. You are more than welcome. I'm pretty Mark could use a wing man that speaks the same language with all that hedge cutting going on.
Ha! Ha! Funny Stuff, Pedro! You never know, I could be knocking on your door one day!

Don, just put some helper springs on your truck. Oh, and bigger tires!

·
6,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,787
Don, just put some helper springs on your truck. Oh, and bigger tires!

I've brought larger loads than that back with me,
it's more of not feeling very intuitive starting out with an empty bucket that weighs in over 700 pounds and then tilting and scraping with it. Also the angle I'll be at when I'm up on the rock pile. I guess I would have a better "feel" for it once I get started up there and have a decent working grade in place.
Oh, yeah. Another item in the Kubota insurance is roll over coverage but I hope I never use that part of the policy.
I purchased a hydraulic motor a while ago, love those Amazon warehouse deals. about $100 bucks off. Nice motor for $70 bucks. :)
Don

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Yes, you want to keep the shiny side up. I backed in a fence post a few years back with my Wheel Horse, I went up like a scalded cat. Just did have enough time to jump clear.
We have the fram sold. Been trying to get the John Deere fired up to move some farm equipment It hasn't been move in about 4 years. Changed the oil, new battery, fix the float bowl leak, The cloke cable is rusted fast, need to change that. I'll have to remove the carburetor to attach the choke cable. It may need cleaning. Then file the points .

DonF.

·
6,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,793
Sold the farm!!
Great!!
Less work in the long run.
Glad that is going to be one less thing that took your valuable time away, gives you more play time.

Can you hook a big old chain on it?

Don

·
Parts collector
2,884 Posts

I'm about ready to go for a visit!!
Don't care what mopar says, 30° and 27 MPH wind is cold.

View attachment 2443888

Darn auto focus, with the long lens on the camera and zoomed out, I still gets clear shots of the tree branches

Don

Oh you CA people. Canada is cold, Alaska is cold. PA ppppfffftttttt not until it gets below 5* and windy is it cold.

Just remember you can always put more clothes on, BUT there's only so many you can take off to keep cool until the cops show up. :ROFLMAO:

·
6,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,795
You need to spend more time at the beach!!!
Ya know there was always something more appealing about the swim ware the ladies wore at the beach than what they wore in the mountains.

Saddles Hawaiian print Jams and pocket tee shirts was all we needed. 😁😁

Don

·
6,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,796
Saddles Hawaiian print Jams and pocket tee shirts was all we needed. 😁😁

Don
Oh the old spell checker putting in a funny word, Yes, I meant to say sandals.
I was out in the garage working on stuff, ignoring , at least for a while the wind blowing the door open and raising the big door a bit. It never stopped but it did slow down a little. Then I finally decided I was not having that much fun that I didn't notice the drop in temperature when the doors were opening all by their selves and walked out of the garage and to my surprise - it was white everywhere once again.
I'll try it again tomorrow.
I did ask for a couple of bids on the steel, I only asked for two items that might not be on hand so we will see.
The bucket wasn't outrageously over weight, not according to these adds I was still a lightweight at 680 - 720 lbs.
Check these heavy weights!!

Now I almost feel bad that my lighter weight bucket on paper weighs in at a measly 432lbs. not including the 30lb motor, hoses and etc.s.

I850 lbs for the run of the mill 60 inch bucket and I was worried about 720, Well I'm still a rookie!!

Don

·
6,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,797
I received a quote on the steel.

Except for the stainless steel pipe for bushings, the pin and the angle, all the steel will be1045 - abrasion resistant.

Here's the breakdown for my little tilt bucket.

Starting with the ends,
3/8" plate 24"x22" 15.3 lb. per foot =112
Wrapper
3/16" sheet 48"X52" 7.65 lb. per foot =133
Center Support
1/4" sheet 24"x 24" 10.lb. per foot = 40
Blade - Cutting Edge
5/8" x flat bar 4"x50" 25.0 lb. per foot =35
Top front edge
3/8" Angle Hot Rolled 3"x2" 5.90 lb. per foot =25
Rear support
3/8" Angle Hot Rolled 3"x2" 5.90 lb. per foot =25
Swivel (bucket side) 1/2"x6" 20.4 lb. per foot =20
Quick attach hangers
3/4" plate 7"x18" 30.1 lb. per foot =53
Quick attach mounting plate
5/8" plate 10"x18" 25.0 lb. per foot =32
Pin
turned ground polished round bar 1-1/2" 6 lb. per foot =6
Bushings
Schedule 80 304 Stainless Steel pipe 1-1/2" =4 lb.

Total raw weight = 485 pounds

This should be a fun project.

I included steel for the plate compactor, 126 pounds and more for the thumb 71 pounds,
I'll be adding a joint to gain more motion.
That put me back up to 682 pounds for this order.

The 30 pound motor arrived today, it's about the size of a can of chili!
I'm glad I found a deal on the motor, savings will help pay off the steel. LOL!!

Steel should be here about the middle of next week.

Don

·
Super Moderator
15,162 Posts
Let's hope some nice weather arrives when the steel does

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
I ordered around 4 oz. or less of metal from John Deere going to be $50 and tax. David and Mopar are the only ones that can afford JD equipment. The carb. float has a hole in it. Went to the NAPA to get a couple of carb gaskets. Had to buy a carb. kit to get the gaskets. They had one for a 420 but not a 430 but I had to have the gaskets. The gaskets
needle & seat is the only thing that will fit for another $22. Add a $27 for a bucket of carb. cleaner to clean the cast Iron carb. It's only money and it isn't worth much any more. It's all fun beats working for a living. Been retired for 16 years now.
Don glad to see you are still having fun building equipment.

·
6,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,800
I ordered around 4 oz. or less of metal from John Deere going to be $50 and tax
Let's see, 4oz @ $50 x 4 = $200 per pound!
Well you've got my $1.16ish per pound beat.
The last carb kits I bought ran about $6-$7 bucks for the Datsun motor in the Don Deere, they went for $28 each at Rock Auto.
I found another Amazon deal for one, but it was missing a couple of pieces so they told me to just keep it and they would send me another.
I bet you remember when we could buy rebuild kits for Rochester quadrajet and Holley 650's for $12 bucks, we'd get a whole kit even though we only needed a float or needles, course the new bowl gaskets never hurt, as well as the mounting gasket.
Cast iron carb!!
Cool!
Unless you need to buy parts for it!!

Yep, still having a ball building things and your right it doesn't do any good until you spend it.
I'm not planning on taking it with me when I go. . . .

Don

5781 - 5800 of 5869 Posts