My Tractor Forum banner

5761 - 5780 of 5869 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Joe had the same issue, he was able to get it ironed out by going into the notifications section and click save changes, without actually changing anything.
You could give that a try.
Welcome back!

Don

Strange thing is that when I went into the preferences, I found all the alerts were checked, but I wasn't getting the notifications. Just for grins, I clicked on "save" and then I started getting notifications again.

I got the charge board for my computer and installed it. All is well! Hallelujah! :geek:

·
5K and there's still more
6,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,762
Yaaaaah!
Glad it's all better, Joe!!

Let's see, cold out there today, so didn't stay out too long.
Just long enough to drill a few holes in one of the project boxes in the Amazon box.

I also added the Argon solenoid and wired it up.

All I need to do will be to hang it on the tank.
Plug in the torch at the welder and a switch wire & hose to the torch from this gadget and start TIG welding.
I decided a 12 volt wall wort would be the easiest way to go, Like Pedro said KISS approach & keep it simple, silly.
All that for less than lunch at the golden arches.

Don

·
Parts collector
2,884 Posts
Well I'm back to getting emails from this thread. 😁

·
Parts collector
2,884 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
mopar, if you are outside in 10* working while it's snowing, you need to drop everything and head due south! As I got older, I became more of a weather wuss. I don't like it below 55 or above 95! 65 to 75 would be wonderful!

·
Super Moderator
15,162 Posts
mopar, if you are outside in 10* working while it's snowing, you need to drop everything and head due south! As I got older, I became more of a weather wuss. I don't like it below 55 or above 95! 65 to 75 would be wonderful!
Joe I'm with you. I worked outside most of my life. I'm 70 now and I don't do much outside if it gets 90 and above. I have a rule, if it's not at least 50 in the morning and rising the long johns go on. I don't operate in the cold or the heat anymore. Plus it's doctor's orders since open heart surgery.

·
6,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,768
Joe I'm with you. I worked outside most of my life. I'm 70 now and I don't do much outside if it gets 90 and above. I have a rule, if it's not at least 50 in the morning and rising the long johns go on. I don't operate in the cold or the heat anymore. Plus it's doctor's orders since open heart surgery.
Here in southern Portugal, 65-70F and sunny.

That's why we moved here.

I mean, if you're lucky enough to have the choice...
Yeah ok cold. Ha ha.............. Unless you are outside in 10* working while it's snowing I don't want to hear it. :p
Sorry, but now days "we Old Guys" sort of enjoy saying
"I remember having to work out in that stuff, sure glad I don't have to do that anymore"
I sympathize with those who do.
When I come in with my fingers feel as they'd been hit with a hammer from the cold I realize I've no one to blame but myself. Shouldn't have been out there working, no medals were ever awarded for it but I stayed out and got the job done.
A proud member of the no whiners club.

Raining outside again, turning into flurries.
Rats!!

Don

·
Super Moderator
15,162 Posts
We are suppose to get 4 inches of rain between tonight and Sunday. Glad that isn't snow.

·
Parts collector
2,884 Posts
Oh I know all about it. BUT I spent from July to Dec on the west coast of FL back in 04 and will never live there. yeah Katrina came thorugh and messed up construction ans screwed us. But dang it was WAY too hot. I'm good from 50-75. I left FL 4 days before Christmas and it was 68* people had hoodies and puffy coats on, I was in a tee shirt and shorts. I didn't put long pants on until I hit SC. I got back to PA with a foot of snow and was loving it! I spent 3 months in Miami doing work for my sister and her aunt-in-law. I left the 3rd of April and it was 90* NOPE! I'm going home and came home to 3"s of snow and 30* temps. Loved it!

Yes the older I get ( going on 55) the less I like to be in the cold, but if you dress right it's not a big deal.

·
Registered
470 Posts
We are suppose to get 4 inches of rain between tonight and Sunday. Glad that isn't snow.
We are supposed to get snow Saturday, but it will probably get changed to "wintry mix" or rain. When we do get snow, it's usually less than 1/2" and is gone in a few days.

·
6,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,773
When we do get snow, it's usually less than 1/2" and is gone in a few days.
You get polite snow too, I like it that way.
It's nice to look at from inside!

We are suppose to get 4 inches of rain between tonight and Sunday.
We call that a flash flood!!

but if you dress right it's not a big deal.
I'm still trying to find some decent boots. I've sent three back to Amazon and waited a week & a half for my Walmart order.
It shipped from Pennsylvania & arrived yesterday, they were supposed to have removable 3M Thinsulate liners, 400 grams. No liners at all, just a bad imported boot. Sure miss my Sorrels. Sent one set back to Amazon & am not paying $180 for them with the bad reviews they get now days.

Don

Don

·
6,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,774
I'm thinking this could be home grown.
watch the first 15 seconds to get an idea.

I'm thinking a hub, wheel motor and some steel could make one work

With a shaft and bearing on the other end.
Thoughts?
Much less than the $3500 plus shipping for another brand.

Don

·
Super Moderator
15,162 Posts
Slick Idea Don. I can see you doing that just to say you did it.

·
6,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,776
LOL!!
Actually I will have a need for it and will be geared up for metal working when I start the stairs.
After I get going on the house I wouldn't find the time for something like this but for a few months
now. . . . .
Another thought was a couple of wheel bearings inside a 6"-8" pipe with a motor and a gear.

Don

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
That's a very cool project Don. One of those things that you didn't know how handy it is, till you use it for some time, then you can't live without one.

You can always go all in on this project:

A simpler design is to use a external cylinder to tilt the bucket but you won't get as much tilt as a motor. At least without having the cylinders sticking way out.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Where did you move from, Mark?
I lived in a Boston suburb as a little kid, also NYC, then Maine, where it was too cold much of the year.
I lived in southern India, where it was too hot much of the year.
I lived in Holland, which was ok but very dark in winter. And some summers it rained the whole time.

We're on the west coast of southern Portugal, one of the only bits of undeveloped coastline on mainland Europe. Weather wise it's great; rarely too hot or too cold. The area does often suffer from drought though.

A lot of people choose retirement climates that are too warm for an active life, because that was were they were happy on vacation.
But most people stay close to home, usually there's some reason but I know some who can't explain why.
A friend of mine and a couple of my brothers live in New England; just because they always did. All retired, houses paid for, they could go anywhere. None of them have much social connection locally.

Moving countries is a chore; finance, housing, health, tax, and visa. Not to mention language. Being an immigrant isn't for everyone.
And the taxes in Europe would give most Americans a heart attack.

Gasoline is $7 a gallon and electricity is 18-25 cents per Kwh. Cars pay hefty road tax [unless you have really old ones like I do], and stiff highway tolls.

Every resident of Portugal has health cover.
Portuguese people are mostly friendly to us immigrants; not everyone, but most.
This is really important.

The economy is slowly picking up, but there's a long way to go. Northern Europe would seem to have similar economic fundamentals [interest rates, taxes, regulations, infrastructure] and does very well.

But we have the BEST weather!

·
Registered
470 Posts
Interesting read, Mark. I remember when I was in the Navy, that we went to Lisbon; and I was very impressed. I also liked Malaga, Spain. Sardinia, Italy also impressed me. Then, a few years ago, my wife and I had an opportunity to go to Sardinia. We both fell in love with Sardinia and talked of retiring there. However, with my Mom, 4 siblings, 6 kids, 10 grandkids and 7 great grandkids here in the States; we thought that may not be too practical!

5761 - 5780 of 5869 Posts