My Tractor Forum banner

5741 - 5760 of 6913 Posts

·
5K and there's still more
6,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,741
LOL!!!

Should have had wallet & keys in hand.

Good fast response, did you get a break on the price?

Ha!!

Don

·
Premium Member
546 Posts
Ahahah! Laughed so hard Mark. ?

PS: Don, how do you get the old smiles? I don't like the new/Googles ones. ?

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
No price break I'm afraid; but 7 euros per kilo [about $3.50 a pound] is pretty good for 318.

I've been telling that joke all day, the guy coming out with the mask was like a cue that had to be responded to.
All the Portuguese got it straight away, but when I said it an office of 3 English people they just looked blank.
Yesterday I told the lady who runs the local post office "If anyone asks if there are any Americans in the village, just tell them NO."
And she practically fell of her stool laughing.

·
6,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,744
I don't like them either, I had saved a few of them and insert them manually.
I had uploaded a few on earlier posts so I have a couple with links.

. . . . . so don't tell the mods . . . . .

Don

·
6,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,745
That's a good price.
Last time I bought stainless I think it was around $3.75 a pound, new steel and delivered.
They probably made up for it by adding a dime or two per pound for the other steel I ordered.
Though I generally get the delivery thrown in since they drive by a few times a week making other deliveries.

Don

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Next week I have to drive far to take my driving test; for tractors.
After that I'll probably drive to Lisbon where I can get engineering grade steels I'm told.
I'm all excited.

·
Premium Member
546 Posts
Is that one of those safety courses for tractors and equipment that will mandatory in 2021? Or is it the drivers license for tractors?

Since yours is a big one, I think it fits on the Category 3.

Mine fits on category 2, so the B drivers license (vehicles up to 3500 kgs gross weight) still works. But since I have the trailer, I had to take the B+ E license which allows me to drive tractors plus trailers up to 6000 kgs.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
The licence.
The reg book of my tractor doesn't state the weight; it reality it's 3.3 tons [ish] without all the gear and water filled tires.
I asked the driving school, and my insurance company but no one will say if I can drive the tractor on the road with my PT 3.5 ton licence. To be on the safe side, I'm getting it.

So apparently I just have to drive a tractor around in a circle, and maybe back it up [with a trailer]. I will be given a headset and the examiner will give me instructions in Portuguese.
I need to get my neighbor over to help me to continue the big hedge cut; he stands in the bucket with a chainsaw.
All he has to do is give me instructions in Portuguese and I'll be ready for the test.

I have a hole in my head where language should be.

·
Premium Member
546 Posts
That looks like fun for a foreigner.

I'll give you the basics: right = direita, left = esquerda, forward = frente, rearward = para trás/ marcha atrás

If they start yelling a bunch of non sense, just run over them...

·
6,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,750
If they start yelling a bunch of non sense, just run over them...

Just show up with the neighbor , in the bucket, with the chainsaw!!
Oh, while you are wearing headphones.

I read that if I put a triangle on the rear of the 12,000 lb. excavator that I can most likely drive it down the road without any issues. My contractor friend used to drive his Case front end loader down the street all the time. I never saw it on a trailer. Now that I think about it I never saw his backhoe one one either.
He always honked the horn when he'd drive by the house in that loader.

Yeah, like this one.

Don

·
Registered
556 Posts
Hey guys! Besides a broken lawn mower and a broken camper, I now have a broken Mac Book Pro. ?
It will no longer charge. I verified the charger was good and checked it with a friend’s charger, as well. So, I believe the DC in power board is bad and I can get one for $14.00. I hope that does the trick. I’m typing this on an old IPad and I hate it. The failure can be solely the power board or it could have allowed full charge voltage (16 volts) to the logic board which shouldn’t ever seem more than 3 volts. If that happened, it would be almost $300 for a logic board. I might be better buying a new computer since it is almost 6 years old. So, I’m hoping the power board does the trick.

·
6,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,752
Joe, I do not know anything about their products, my experience is with PC's and laptops only.
I had to replace the main board on my Del, the latest computer and I knew it was a fixer-upper when I bought it from a party that resells end of lease type of products. I was told they were complete units and assumed it was just the power supply that needed replacement. When I opened it up, I discovered the vacant spot where the graphics should have been and since it is an integrated item, there normally not found in the open market. So $35 for the mother board on the bay and it was working again. for about two weeks when the power supply went out. I replaced it and I am good. The only issues with laptops was one from work that would crash and not restart. That one wound up being the cmos battery was dead and it would simply forget what it was. Other than that power supplies and battery replacements have been the extent of repairs needed. They are fairly stout and the ones at work lived even after being dropped and bounced around in the truck. You would think that some type of protection would be present to avoid what you mentioned, I know laptops and PC's are full of components that operate on 3v even 1.5v and never give any problems but a different machine than yours.
Best of luck with all your broken tools and "toys", and if you happen to have a cmos battery in the unit, replace it and see what happens. It is at the bare minimum end of the chain that tells everyone else around it what they are supposed to do. I would imagine it would need one to function, unless that Steve guy figured out a way around it, possibly using a dash of unobtanium instead, who knows!

Don

dono

·
Registered
556 Posts
Hey Don, I’ve built and repaired regular PC’s, but I got tired of the growing operating system, slow boot up, sluggish hard drives, numerous glitches and lock ups. My son in law had become an Apple nut and he convinced me to try a Mac. I quickly fell in love. They are crazy expensive, but I’ve had almost 6 years of trouble free computing With none of the Microsoft troubles. I hope the power board fixes it and gives me a few more years trouble free. I should get the board tomorrow and I’ll know. If the logic board is toast, I might have to consider something else rather than parting with $1200 to $1500!

·
6,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,754
but I’ve had almost 6 years of trouble free computing With none of the Microsoft troubles.

Ahhhhh, so you haven't driven a Windows 10 machine yet.

Hehehe!
Glad you've had such good luck up until now.
Get er fixed!!!

Don

·
6,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,755
I received an order from Amazon, don't ya love it when they combine several orders into one shipment!

This was five or six orders. Oh boy!!
First out of the box, yeah that was intentional. . . .

I did a bad thing the other night. While out giving the welder a test drive, the cord from the soldering iron fell while I was welding and suddenly the welder was making a racket. I stopped and turned it off.

Awww, rats!! O.K. time for an upgrade.
Hmmmm, fan is 220 volts

Let's see, 746 watts per horsepower and this one is 220 volts & 38 watts . . . .
Um, yeah this sucker should do the trick, aluminum case and two ball bearings it ought to last a while, the old fan was a sleeve bearing motor, I could probably hook up a fume extractor to the side of the box and run it off of this fan.

Well, that's done.
Lets see what else is in the box.

Don

·
Super Moderator
15,365 Posts
I still like to order things ftom Amazon and have always had a good experience with returns. In fact now I can get a return authorization ftom Amazon and take it to my local UPS store about 3 miles down the road and give it to them and they package it up and send it back, no extra charge. As soon as I drop it off at UPS my account gets credited.

What I don't like anymore is Amazon bought there own fleet of trucks and doing their own deliveries now. I hope they work out the problems soon. I have had some of my deliveries go to the house across the street and sometimes I get theirs. The worst one was back when it was still warm a woman driving an Amazon truck pulled into my yard about 50 ft south of my driveway. She got out and ran to the back of my property into the tail weeds and squatted to relieve her bladder. I don't think she knew I was out in my back yard. Hope she didn't get into any poison ivy.

·
6,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,757
!!!!!!!
Poor girl!!
The pressures of the working world and issues created.
For students and office workers having a restroom available is taken for granted.
When I was a manager of a crew we made daily visits checking safety setups, job performance and just to talk to them on an individual level.
I had two ladies on the crew both working a job that cut through an orange orchard.
Since the road widening had not been completed the duct run was situated about three rows of trees back from the street.
I parked off the street and went back to where one of the vans were setup on the manhole, errr splicing chamber as they are now referred to and looked around the jobsite & down inside the manhole. She was nowhere to be found.
I stood there wondering where she could have gone and heard a muffled voice coming from somewhere near by.
Then a bang bang bang sound and looked over at the van. She was in the rear of the van pounding on the windows of the side doors. With both doors slightly opened they had jammed and she couldn't push them open.
She went in to use the portapotty and locked herself inside.
She probably would have still been there at quitting time had I not stopped by.
I got a chuckle out of that one, it was hard not to smile.
You learn, never to walk up to a guy standing at the side doors, but for the ladies it was OK for them to leave the jobsite.
I hope she didn't notice you standing there too.

They are great about returns.
Which reminds me, I have to drop off a third pair of boots at the UPS store. I'm waiting on a pair from Walmart and hoping for a better fit.

Don

·
6,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,758
I had another issue with the conversion that needed attention.
The picture should explain it, along with a description of 120 & 240 voltages.
For anyone wanting to convert an AC welder to DC, you need an understanding of how 240 volts work.
There is no neutral wire involved, the return path is the other leg of the circuit. The green wire is ground.
The output of the transformer on one side was not insulated.
I should correct this by saying the lead touching the case created a ground fault, it was not following the return path of the circuit, only A return path.

Always need to be careful with electricity or it will bite you.

Don

·
Parts collector
3,491 Posts
Dang since the switch over I have not been getting emails on this thread. What did I miss? ?

·
6,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,760
Oh my, let's see.
I believe two more masterpieces from Pedro, several of Marks magic & I haven't finished the thumb I had started but I did start a couple of things.
Ha!!
You'll need to catch up!!
Joe had the same issue, he was able to get it ironed out by going into the notifications section and click save changes, without actually changing anything.
You could give that a try.
Welcome back!

Don

5741 - 5760 of 6913 Posts