My Tractor Forum banner

5621 - 5627 of 5627 Posts

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
That looks like a nice cab for the U55. Would be a very welcome improvement, specially with that white stuff you have there.👍

Some pictures of the boring bar in use. I actually ended up using about 9" stick out on the bar. It chattered a bit when I was doing rough cuts. I had to take the cylinder barrel from 40 to 60 mm. That's why I couldn't quite use Mark's technique, even though that technique came to my mind as I remembered an old picture from Mark.

I took cuts of 1 mm (0.040") in diameter at around 360 RPMs with the highest feed selected. I could go deeper but I had a small bit and a couple holes on the barrel that would cause some issues with an heavier cut. I did have to use a couple of clamps on the compound and crosslide ways. With a boring bar sticking out that long, every bit of play on the ways will show up quite fast.

Then took the two final passes about 0.30 mm (0.011") in diameter with a very slow feed and RPMs, about 135. Took over 15 min per pass but did leave a very nice and smooth finish. I just polished it a bit more to take any high spots that could damage the piston seals.

I'll show where this cylinder is going once the paint dries and I assemble the project.

Speaking of projects, I had this project for someone else lined up but they ended up backing up on the deal and took another route. It was a bit overwhelming size wise but definitely a cool project and would actually be a good funding for a good TIG welder.

Basically, the project was converting a regular bulldozer blade to a angledozer, where the blade would rotate left and right about 30 degrees. It was an old CAT D4D, the first ones without the Power shift transmissions, that was fitted with a D5 or D6 blade.

They ended up hiring someone to do the landscaping work, instead of buying this machine and do themselves the work.

·
5K and there's still more
6,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,625
Probably not.
Their generic cabin would have issues such as the door and other areas that do not seem to fit properly.

I'd be more likely to make my own than to drop 3G on a cabin.

It's way down the list though.

Don

·
5K and there's still more
6,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5,626
Dude! That's awesome work!!

Speaking of projects, I had this project for someone else lined up but they ended up backing up on the deal and took another route. It was a bit overwhelming size wise but definitely a cool project and would actually be a good funding for a good TIG welder.

Too bad as far as loosing the TIG funding.
That would have been quite a job.
My little 12,000lb ex has a huge piece for the angle, no where near that size.

Keep up the good work.

Don

5621 - 5627 of 5627 Posts