4621 - 4640 of 5607 Posts

·
5K and there's still more
6,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,621
Nice video,
I liked all the camera angles.
The fast forward was fun too!!
Your getting some work done with your purdy new tractor.

We've had 13 plus inches so far this year and 8 for all of last year.
More predicted, weather forecast is basically partly cloudy, mostly cloudy, chance of rain, partly sunny then repeat. :dunno: :laugh:
I'm liking it, it will soften things up for grading.

The mid states are having record flooding with more on the way due to snow melt in the northern states & north of the boarder. It's bad, farmers loosing crops and storage.

Hope your not too close to sea level, "they" are predicting a 20 foot rise in the next 60 years.

Thanks for the video.
:fing02:

Donewrken

:fing32:

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
Thanks Don.

Yeah, this tractor is a really nice addition/addiction. :D

Once I get the loader finished, which is taking forever, I think I'll use it even more since it'll making a lot more versatile.

We sure could use some of that rain.

I live about 6 miles from the sea and 350 feet above the sea level according to elevation maps, although doesn't seem to be that much in real life.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Wow, I didn't realize it's [almost] as dry up north and here in the south.
We should have a swamp around the house at this time of year, but it's DRY.
We've only had 3 or 4 inches for the whole fall and winter.
It gets me stressed out; what if it just doesn't rain again, we could be the next Sahara.

No, it will be ok.
Really, everything is fine.

Cool vid.

·
10,148 Posts
Had the interview today and it was not at all what I expected, however I will see their offer and take it into consideration. If not I have an open invitation to go back to the railroad equipment job that I done a couple times now in between employments. I may do that until I find what I am looking for. It's always nice to be on good terms and have a back up plan :)

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

·
6,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,625
It's always good to have a plan B.
Your lucky that your plan B is an A! :fing02:

I found myself in dire need of short wrenches when pulling the trans.
Harbor Freight to the rescue.
A set of 12 wrenches

I really only needed the 15mm, but for $12 bucks. . . . . :dunno:
Nice stubby wrenches the longest are five inches, smallest are 3 1/2 inch.
I also ordered a set of crows foot wrenches they were around $8 bucks??!!
All of these were back ordered so the feet won't be here for a couple more days.
One thing I can say about their wrenches is I have never broken or stripped any of the Pittsburgh brand wrenches/sockets though I had expected to.

These inexpensive wrenches sort of make up for the expensive one I bought a couple weeks ago. I missed my 10mm open end/swivel socket wrench that a friend ran off with. The cheap replacement I bought broke the first time I used it so rather than buying another one or in fact a whole set. I bought one good brand name guaranteed for life wrench for what the whole sets sell for. Sorry but that little wrench and I go way back but $25 for one little wrench!!

I sure hope it doesn't break as fast as the last one.
I bought a set of them at a swap-meet way back in high school, 10 - 16mm and asked the seller if they were made from good steel.
He smiled and said that I'd loose them before I wore them out.
The old guy was right.

Donewrken

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
I bought some cheapo wrenches + sockets lately; and I found that the hardness / quality pleasantly surprising.
I think that manufacture has become so cheap, that making semi-good tools costs the same as making the terrible stuff amateurs used to be forced to buy.

After all, the metal doesn't cost much.

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Had the interview today and it was not at all what I expected, however I will see their offer and take it into consideration. If not I have an open invitation to go back to the railroad equipment job that I done a couple times now in between employments. I may do that until I find what I am looking for. It's always nice to be on good terms and have a back up plan :)

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

Glad you got options.

We had a big plant meeting Weds morning, we were told plant is closing, we will have jobs until June 30 which is closing date. We are supposed to get a severance and they hired a job placement service to help us with resumes, job search, etc.

NowI got to figure out what I am going to be when I grow up :tango_face_grin:

·
6,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,628
TAHOE99,
I'm sorry to hear about the closing
Who needs something like this after years of dedication to your company.

I hope it turns out to be a positive event in your life.
Such as finding something that's even better than what your leaving.

I wish you success in such a major event in your life.

Keep your chin up buddy.

Don

:i_praying

·
Super Moderator
15,071 Posts
Sorry to hear about your plant closing. Like everyone is saying, hopefully this will lead to something better. It's hard to see it when you're in the middle of it. Just keep putting one foot in front of the other.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Wow! Looks like I last posted on March 18th and I have not been getting emails from the forum. However, I was also gone for a while and didn't keep up with the internet much. We left on March 21st and returned March 29th. We drove to Kingsland, GA to meet up with my 2 sisters, 1 of my 2 brothers, my 2 sons and 2 or our 4 daughters. We met there to celebrate my Mom's 90th birthday. We took her out of her nursing home and took her to a good steak house for her birthday dinner.

Y'all were talking gas prices before I left. Most of the country seemed to be running about $2.35 to $2.45. In Kingsland, GA, it was 2.39. 10 miles south in Florida, the prices were $2.75! Here at home in Arkansas, it is $2.35.

Mikey, sounds like that company is impressed with you. Hope the interview brings you and nice offer. Way to go, Dude!

Nice video, Pedro!

Anyway, good to see everyone is still here!

·
6,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,633
Sounds like a nice trip, Joe.
Good that you sprung mom for the BD meal.

and I have not been getting emails from the forum
I know.
Conspiracy?

Well that figures!! Check it out.

Look at the big cities.

We used to be a dime higher than Bakersfield, $3.50 there only $3.29 here. (only) LOL!!
I guess the Love's truck stop was good for competition. All the stations in town are within 2 cents.
We finally had three days of sunshine, showers predicted for the weekend.
Which is good for the rock pile. :tango_face_grin:

Thanks for checking in.

Donewrken

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
I finished the hoist inside my container workshop; here's the pics.

Attachments

·
6,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,637
Wow!!!

Really really cool!!

I was wondering where the giant round plates were going to fit in.
What are the dimensions of them?
Looks like about 1- 1/2", I hope you have had that in stock for the last 10 - 15 years.
I'd have to pay about $100 each for those two pieces at today's rate.

Looks like a great setup.
:fing02:

Donewrken

·
6,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,638
Mikey, you've better opportunities that won't cause a compromise,
I think your values are higher than theirs.

A zillion more around the corner that are bigger, better.

No hurry.
It will find you. :tango_face_smile:

Donewrken

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Thanks guys;
The round plates are from a nearby scrapyard, I pay for the weight. He's getting a little more reasonable with me now, I pay a little less than I pay for new steel. 60 cents instead of 85 per kilo.
They're 20mm, 3/4".
The H beam is a small one, 100mm [4"] I was trying hard to maintain the head clearance, and have as much lift height as possible. And I wanted the arm to be able to protrude out the door, which is why I made it with an arm.
The pivot bearings are leftovers; top one is a used wheel bearing from my car.
The winch I got at auction 12 years ago for $20.

I tested it by lifting my massive drill press, which I guess weighs at least 350kg.
The flex in the arm was as expected, 10 or 20mm. Rotation on the arm is fine, but the wheels wouldn't roll; I couldn't push it forward or back with the load.
With the lever force, the load on the front wheels is about 3x the weight of the lift, and 2x the weight forcing the rear wheels upwards. I didn't think it would be a problem.
I'll probably add a light rope and pulley to pull the cross beams forward and back when under load.
It moves easily by hand without load.
I should have used bigger channel for the wall tracks and bigger diameter wheels.

Mikey, low starting pay might be acceptable, but with rudeness attached? Definitely not!
A sure sign that they treat their people badly and won't ever pay or treat you right.

·
6,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,640
Rotation on the arm is fine, but the wheels wouldn't roll; I couldn't push it forward or back with the load.

You could put a floor jack under it to assist. :tango_face_devil:
:hide:

Counter balance?

Your metal prices beat my 95 per pound for new.
Great pictures, looked twice as large.

A sure sign that they treat their people badly and won't ever pay or treat you right.
Agree!!

Donewrken

4621 - 4640 of 5607 Posts