My Tractor Forum banner

21 - 40 of 5603 Posts

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Haha !

and that is why you hold the record for blasting a Cameo frame with only a half a bag of sand.

Did you
wear a dust mask or just hold your breath ..... cause they cost too much ?

Like I said we would all miss your adventures :fing32:

Donewrken

:fing32:

Nope, no dust mask. I wanted to breath in all that Silica dust so I could die before I was 50 :sidelaugh:sidelaugh

Seriously, I had a double filter respirator, full face mask, and a hazmat looking full length Tyvex suit and taped the arms holes around my wrist....I got all of it but the face mask free :fing32:
I had no plans on getting that sand anywhere I didn't want it.

I spent a little extra, I think I use a whole bag :thThumbsU

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
I have a sandblasting attachment for my high-pressure cleaner. The water keeps the dust down but there's still a big mess.
It only likes clean, dry, fine sand. blasting grit clogs it up.

Storms; yes, we get them in winter. Big winds tearing things up, and rain is important of course. And really cold too, sometimes down to 50F! We huddle inside and dress in layers until it's passed.

During the summer months it doesn't rain at all, so we need to get those reservoirs filled.

·
5K and there's still more
6,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
I saw a couple clips on YouTube of wet blasting,
after reading the reviews at Tractor Supply I think I will go with glass bead media. I have a little gravity feed unit it looks about the size of a 3 gallon water cooler.
Ever use soda ?

Gets down in the 50's - buuurrrrrrrr !!! Well you were in Boston so I'm sure you appreciate your climate. We had a surprise rain storm here today nothing forecast for a few weeks and we get a couple inches - we'll take it.
The El Nino has been good , they are saying Lake Tahoe - our largest lake is back to normal after receiving 7 trillion gallons of rain.

fast facts - it's the sixth largest in the U.S. behind the five great lakes. Also fifth deepest in the world - average depth at 1645 feet , surface area of 191 square miles.

The Sierra snow pack is at 130% for this time of year. Another 6 months like the past few would be a good start.

Dry Ice blasting - cool ;)

Donewrken

·
Registered
108 Posts
I was just giving you a jolly good rogering don, your machine is light years ahead of mine both in engineering and labor.

I sandblasted once, or twice

I used black majik from menards it doesn't have silica at least I was told

·
Registered
108 Posts
I used to follow the bass fishing that took place on some of those California lakes and reservoirs, they were eating rainbow trout and getting massive.

·
6,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I know !
That's how I caught the striped bass bug , I used to hold a season pass for Pyramid lake. It was incredible. I'd fish there every third week , except for the Colorado river expeditions when they were pulling 55 - 65 pounder's out . Forget the 59-1/2 lb. large mouth.

Tell us about the car !!!!

Donewrken

·
10,148 Posts
Had welding again today and my welds turned out much better. Thanks for all the tips guys :). My angle is still off but I am working on it. There is no order to these, but the worst ones were the first ones

Attachments

·
6,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Good job Mikey,
I like the # two welds the most, hitting both sides and holding long enough.

You fell a sleep on # three a couple of times I think.

The V if I remember correctly indicates movement was too fast - other observers correct me if that's incorrect.

You've already got me beat.

Keep burning ! Your doing great. :)

Don

·
10,148 Posts
Good job Mikey,
I like the # two welds the most, hitting both sides and holding long enough.

You fell a sleep on # three a couple of times I think.

The V if I remember correctly indicates movement was too fast - other observers correct me if that's incorrect.

You've already got me beat.

Keep burning ! Your doing great. :)

Don

Thanks Don! #3 I ran out of rod halhway thru and it went down hill from there :sidelaugh

I was told that the V was angle being off but I am not to sure

I am really enjoying it :)

Next week we switch from 6013 rod to 7018.

·
6,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Next week we switch from 6013 rod to 7018.

7018 is a dirty word around here , at least it was before the new welder.
You must try it for your self after mastering it - try it using an AC welder - you will see what I'm talking about.

I will have to give it a try with the new one.
It caused me to wind up with 40 lbs. of it when I kept ordering 10 lb . boxes of it because I forgot the brand that made a decent AC stick.

I had already resigned I had purchased 10 lb. boxes of wire hook material for hanging stuff up on the walls.

Even the"good one" is not a very friendly AC rod and made me revert to 6010 - another least favorite.

Donewrken

·
21,369 Posts
Don, I'm not much of a welder, but I do know that the welders at work kept the 7018 rods in rod ovens and only pulled out enough sticks to keep them going for 15 or 20 minutes. From what I was told, 7018 rods don't work well in any kind of humidity and must be kept dry.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Mike, the welds are improving. :fing32:

Some humor. :sidelaugh

I wonder if he saw his (or the car's) shadow before the hit?

·
6,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Thanks TUDOR,
I had heard that about them and I will have to give that a try. A 60 watt bulb in a box has been mentioned to heat them enough.
They were all sealed fresh boxes I had, once lit they are not too bad . If you stop you need to clear the tip so just grab a hand full and set the used one aside.
The main problem is they are more of a DC electrode. There are some that state they work with either AC or DC but they just don't work well with an AC welder.
It was amazing the difference using the new welder in DC no problem getting them to light.

Donewrken

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
I was just giving you a jolly good rogering don, your machine is light years ahead of mine both in engineering and labor.

I sandblasted once, or twice

I used black majik from menards it doesn't have silica at least I was told

My buddy had a 1970 Torino until he rolled it in a ditch, sad day even though it was 4 door, inherited if from his Grandma.

That would be one Ford I would own..... NAH, never again will I have a blue oval in ownership!!!!

·
6,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Re: My latest Project - Part Two

The exhaust hangers on that last one look like a last minute thought even though they are made out of aluminum and cut nicely.
Do not look very good IMO

Eewwww !!

Your right , I wouldn't want it either.

I think I'll go paint some green. . . . .

Donewrken

21 - 40 of 5603 Posts