My Tractor Forum banner

My latest Project - Part Two

641K views 17K replies 74 participants last post by  mopar65pa 
#1 ·
Due to last page loading issues with Part 1, this is Part 2 of Donewrken's homemade tractor build . . . and all around garage kibitzing thread. :D

Link to Part 1.

Click for The Hydraulics Forum!

Sometimes you get on a roll, sometimes the roll gets on you.

In Service
MF GC2310, Husqvarna YTH20B42T

Down for Repairs
MF1655 w/ FEL, MF1655, MF12H, MF8H, MF7H
Spending too much time on MTF to work on my toys. :crybaby:
Part 2 of Donewrken's homemade tractor build . . . and all around garage kibitzing thread. :D
:biglaugh:

Thanks MOD's for taking care of business and thanks TUDOR for the addendum to the title.
We all hope this will all come together completing the build and may we all gain some knowledge and appreciation for the friendships that have developed in the process.
Thanks also to MTF for the great opportunity they've given us to share our thoughts and ideas.

I'm trusting you all that it (part one) didn't go away!:ROF

Now presenting :cool: My Latest Project - Part Two
:woohoo1:

Thanks

Donewrken

:fing32:

#8 ·
98Murray Re: My latest Project - Part Two
Woohoo!
Thanks 98Murray
but - but we need the Woohoo guy! :woohoo1:

MikMan48 Re: My latest Project - Part Two
part 2 i thought i coudl escape it :sidelaugh

Lets hope all the folks from the old find the new one. It takes the whole village .....
There is no escaping Mikey . . . .
and yes , it is a joint effort - I'll leave off any village remarks - other than I'm sure they will find their way.
Thanks Mikey

steddy Re: My latest Project - Part Two
Ummmmm.... What are you building? I forgot...
Steddy ! Long time ! Wow hadn't heard from you for :confused: a loooooong time.
I forgot what was it . . . .

Thanks

Wheelgun1 Re: My latest Project - Part Two
Yeah that's right give it to him
Easy there , you wouldn't want to invoke any bad tractor karamal (sp) the payback could be The Dreaded Fluid leaking from everywhere - even from places that do not have any :ROF

Ha ha ! Thanks

Stuff is hanging like it's a meat locker out in the shop and paint booth walls are being employed !!

Stay tuned !!

Donewrken

#9 ·
I guess I have leave a remark so I'm signed on to the new part 2

#10 ·
Don, your original thread is now closed with a link to this thread in the last post.

That gives you about 3 more years to get this project finished. :eek:mg::duh:

Pitter patter, son! :sidelaugh :sidelaugh :sidelaugh

#11 ·
Hi Larry,
glad you found it.
We can still hope Tahoe99 , never mind.
This one's going to be kinder - gentler -
at least on the first day :biglaugh:

Three years !

That's all !! :eek:mg:

:eek: I'd better get busy !!!! :dogrun:

Thanks TUDOR
:trink40:

Donewrken

#12 ·
Shouldn't this thread be called "The gang's random thoughts, youtube finds, and backslappings"...

The first sunny day after two weeks of storm has just dawned here in southern Portugal; that means laundry and housework for me, and repair of a shed door.

My projects are languishing in the workshop, whispering seductive entreaties that none else can hear.

#13 ·
be called "The gang's random thoughts, youtube finds,
Mmmm. suppose it could be and - a place to just hang out. :)

Stormy weather for you is what , like 75 and light showers ?

Resist them , ear plugs - headphones - hum off key and tap your foot. . . . . .
Aawwww what the heck go listen to them , maybe they'll tell you something you didn't know about !

Donewrken

#14 · (Edited)
Progress

The Paint Booth

Drop clothes from HF and three sticks of emt that were laying outside . hanging off TIG filler rods recently purchased - almost like I planned it.

Lots of room , just needed to unbolt & scoot the seat over
now there's plenty of standing room on the tractor.

Donewrken

Attachments

#16 ·
Tahoe99 !
I was just saying good things about you !

You'll never believe me but it's true -
HA !

I was going to complain - I couldn't see the last post - yours !!

I closed the browser and followed the link in the e-mail - it found it , glad you did too -
we would all miss your adventures :fing32:

Donewrken

#18 ·
about it taking three years I just might be done before you:sidelaugh:sidelaugh:sidelaugh

Well maybe so , but I bet you won't end up with as many leftover parts as me !

Huh ? :dunno:

As Hydronerd once mentioned this is the second tractor during that time frame.
The long part of the second one was proving the concepts , working around and through some obstacles and gathering the proper parts & putting them in place.
Now were to the re-assemble stage with only a few re-do's / re-fit's and tidy-up's , having already proved as a whole - it works.

Boy that convinced me anyway. :)

Donewrken

#21 ·
Haha !

and that is why you hold the record for blasting a Cameo frame with only a half a bag of sand.

Did you
wear a dust mask or just hold your breath ..... cause they cost too much ?

Like I said we would all miss your adventures :fing32:

Donewrken

Nope, no dust mask. I wanted to breath in all that Silica dust so I could die before I was 50 :sidelaugh:sidelaugh

Seriously, I had a double filter respirator, full face mask, and a hazmat looking full length Tyvex suit and taped the arms holes around my wrist....I got all of it but the face mask free :fing32:
I had no plans on getting that sand anywhere I didn't want it.

I spent a little extra, I think I use a whole bag :thThumbsU

#22 ·
I have a sandblasting attachment for my high-pressure cleaner. The water keeps the dust down but there's still a big mess.
It only likes clean, dry, fine sand. blasting grit clogs it up.

Storms; yes, we get them in winter. Big winds tearing things up, and rain is important of course. And really cold too, sometimes down to 50F! We huddle inside and dress in layers until it's passed.

During the summer months it doesn't rain at all, so we need to get those reservoirs filled.

#23 · (Edited)
I saw a couple clips on YouTube of wet blasting,
after reading the reviews at Tractor Supply I think I will go with glass bead media. I have a little gravity feed unit it looks about the size of a 3 gallon water cooler.
Ever use soda ?

Gets down in the 50's - buuurrrrrrrr !!! Well you were in Boston so I'm sure you appreciate your climate. We had a surprise rain storm here today nothing forecast for a few weeks and we get a couple inches - we'll take it.
The El Nino has been good , they are saying Lake Tahoe - our largest lake is back to normal after receiving 7 trillion gallons of rain.

fast facts - it's the sixth largest in the U.S. behind the five great lakes. Also fifth deepest in the world - average depth at 1645 feet , surface area of 191 square miles.

The Sierra snow pack is at 130% for this time of year. Another 6 months like the past few would be a good start.

Dry Ice blasting - cool ;)

Donewrken

#26 ·
I know !
That's how I caught the striped bass bug , I used to hold a season pass for Pyramid lake. It was incredible. I'd fish there every third week , except for the Colorado river expeditions when they were pulling 55 - 65 pounder's out . Forget the 59-1/2 lb. large mouth.

Tell us about the car !!!!

Donewrken

#27 ·
Had welding again today and my welds turned out much better. Thanks for all the tips guys :). My angle is still off but I am working on it. There is no order to these, but the worst ones were the first ones

Attachments

#28 ·
Good job Mikey,
I like the # two welds the most, hitting both sides and holding long enough.

You fell a sleep on # three a couple of times I think.

The V if I remember correctly indicates movement was too fast - other observers correct me if that's incorrect.

You've already got me beat.

Keep burning ! Your doing great. :)

Don

#30 ·
Next week we switch from 6013 rod to 7018.

7018 is a dirty word around here , at least it was before the new welder.
You must try it for your self after mastering it - try it using an AC welder - you will see what I'm talking about.

I will have to give it a try with the new one.
It caused me to wind up with 40 lbs. of it when I kept ordering 10 lb . boxes of it because I forgot the brand that made a decent AC stick.

I had already resigned I had purchased 10 lb. boxes of wire hook material for hanging stuff up on the walls.

Even the"good one" is not a very friendly AC rod and made me revert to 6010 - another least favorite.

Donewrken